Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swanky new radar on met.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Please add my name to the dont like campaign
    As others have said why change what wasn't broke :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

gbee wrote: »
    Raintoday UK use Met Eireann's Radar, and whilst they could overlay other radar interpretations into it to show snow, ice ect, over Ireland, the accuracy was still from Met Eireann.

Emm that was exactly my point, the google maps and zoom utility aren't that useful because the radar isn't that accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The white background does nothing for the clarity it just makes it more uncomfortable to look at. The current one is more pleasing on the eye and the colours tones are nicer. Whatever about the accuracy, I guess neither are above suspicion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Harps wrote: »
    Yep as someone said earlier I cant use the ME radar as it doesn't even cover NW Donegal. Theres close to torrential rain here at the moment yet its only showing up as blue (0.1-0.5 ml/hr) on the radar and the showers disappear altogether when they get north of me even though theyre just as intense.

Contrast that to raintoday which has us under 3-10 ml/hr with patches of 10-30 ml/hr using the Belfast radar

I think it is a real shame that you have to use British radar sites to get a clearer picture of rainfall extent in Donegal, Mayo & Leitrim. Last time I checked these counties were in Ireland :confused: It is a pity Met Eireann don't make use of the Belfast Radar to give a better coverage. May well be due to a rights issue or something but fair is fair, if the UK can use Irish radars for public view, why can't Met Eireann use theirs?

I actually did like the new radar map at first but as Joe Public says, it is a little harsh on the eyes and not as easy to read as the old one with did have nicer tones. Maybe if the map itself was a little darker it would be less 'glarey' ? Should we start a campaign to get it changed?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I think the fact that they're working on it and at least trying to improve the service is great and that they're getting quite a bit of abuse over it is the only disappointing thing. Having all that white on the page is a bit harsh on the eyes alright, but it doesn't stop me from being able to see the echos as clearly as before and I think on the new one it is actually a lot easier to see the changes in intensity scale when you look at the detail.

Ok so there may be one or two issues regarding compatibility with some phones etc. but they've provided us with the old one as well so I don't see any problem really. I certainly have no issues with the new radar and I think given a bit more time for minor tweaks to be carried out it has the potential to be a lot better than the old one. What they need is feedback to make this happen and they're a lot more likely to take comments on board if they're emailed nicely with some constructive criticism instead of being slated on a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Regardless of all the great work and tweeking on the new rainfall radar I still think it was unprofessional to slip it in where the regular rainfall radar was especially when it is still a work in progress. Any reputable website would give you an option to try out the new beta version of whatever they propose to eventually replace an existing working application.

Suggestion song for the "please don't go" campaign

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4fvI_E8GKY&feature=related

Colours are important so please don't let the old colours go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

trogdor wrote: »
    What they need is feedback to make this happen and they're a lot more likely to take comments on board if they're emailed nicely with some constructive criticism instead of being slated on a forum.

But the never solicit feedback. As several posters have pointed out, they could of run it as a trial, we would of provided constructive criticism & improvement ideas before they settled on a final version. Yr.no did this & replied to my emails despite me being in a different country !

Yes this is just a forum but it is full of their customers & weather enthusiasts. I am amazed that they haven't posted here & invited/discussed comments. Why don't they have a forum on their site ? It is much easier to come here or run your own forum than it is to answer lots of emails that may be asking the same questions.

I still use EHMI as my main source for rainfall prediction & they are usually pretty good. It seems incredible that a consumer in Ireland is relying on the Norwegian & Estonian weather service to provide forecasts here.

EDIT: The time stamp does seem to be out by quite a lot. The sun broke through here 30 mins ago but the Radar is showing the clearance as still 15 -30 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

They've put the colour back in it within the past half hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Thank you Met Eireann for listening to the feedback. :pac:

It looks much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Now thats much better:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Love the green with the blue background. Looks much better and is much easier on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Thanks ME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yes I agree and the new rainfall amounts are much improved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Thank you for taking our comments on board Met Eireann :)

This latest 'tweak' makes the map much easier on the eye!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Thank you Met Eireann for listening to the feedback. :pac:

It looks much better now.

I will second that. A massive improvement. Lots of detail using the Zoom function of your browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hey this is very sore on my eyes. Too coloured!

Haha!

Bring back the old new radar.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Thanks Met Eireann, and now that we have you hanging on our every request, we would also like a zoom function, precipitation type radar and live lightning data all incorporated into the one radar, thanks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

That's a significant improvement.
    The time stamp has been moved as well and there has been a slight change in the colour scheme for rain rate. I think max rate was 32mm/hr

I won't be looking at the old one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Vast improvment, bravo sir's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Actually ME, we were only taking the piss, we much preferred the white background. Sorry about that, didn't realise you would actually change it, LOL. I hope it's not too much trouble to change it back too the white:o

Would also love a feature where you can put a 'pin' at your exact location, would really help see what rain your going to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still think its pretty blah like DE said that you have to go to the UK to get radar for Leitrim Sligo Donegal . Have they fixed that or are we still seeing no rain showing in areas of IRELAND with downpours??.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Massive improvement and the labeling of the scale has been fixed too.

Many thanks ME for taking all the comments on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Very nice, its perfect now.

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Very nice, its perfect now.

Except its been stuck on the 16.01 snapshot for the last 50 minutes now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

eigrod wrote: »
    Except its been stuck on the 16.01 snapshot for the last 50 minutes now :(

Not here, must be your browser. Try closing the ME tab and reloading it.

Not here, must be your browser. Try closing the ME tab and reloading it.

Did the trick. Thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How do we know that ME are reading this - give us a sign :D

Also, if anyone like me is trying to get this thing to work on a Nokia mobile, the answer is to use the Opera Mobile Browser.

By the way the pin idea is really good. Something that clearly shows through the rain.

PS the Colours don't match the key any more - they match the old key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Discodog wrote: »
    PS the Colours don't match the key any more - they match the old key.

They match the new key perfectly for me. Try clearing your cache maybe.

Good job Met Eireann! Much better now. Colours are perfect and the new scale makes much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It is now officially immense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Fair play to them ... looks much better :D

Advertisement