Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swanky new radar on met.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

mighty:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Well done ME. It looks much better. Fair play for taking the feedback on board!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The new radar seems to be using the old colour scheme for intensity now but the legend is still showing the new colours :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

It's like people are thanking ME for lessening the torture :confused:

I still experience the same problem others are having, the last time I checked the new radar was about 15.30 and now when I check it now it won't go past 15:16. A refresh on IE makes no difference, the only way I can get the latest rainfall radar is to open a new IE session. This problem dosen't happen on the older version of rainfall radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Joe Public wrote: »
    It's like people are thanking ME for lessening the torture :confused:

I still experience the same problem others are having, the last time I checked the new radar was about 15.30 and now when I check it now it won't go past 15:16. A refresh on IE makes no difference, the only way I can get the latest rainfall radar is to open a new IE session. This problem dosen't happen on the older version of rainfall radar.

i'm using chrome on one laptop and firefox on a pc. no problems here. f5 refreshes .
    i think the latest version is better than the white one though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

colours in the key changed this morning.

Met.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still wrong for me? Showing up the old colour scheme on the radar but the key still has the new one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well I have been outdoors for most of the day & it's been rather wet :D. One problem with the new radar is that when you view it via a smaller screen, like a mobile, it's difficult to operate the forward/reverse buttons without a lot of scrolling up & down. Also the old image is definitely easier to read on a small screen because of less clutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Harps wrote: »
    Still wrong for me? Showing up the old colour scheme on the radar but the key still has the new one

Seems to be right now, although theres not much heavy rain in it to show up!!!

WEB_radar2_201107072131.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Yey!!! One more for the much better camp! nice one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The colours don't match up with the key of the new radar display for me either. Oh wait a sec, this has changed since I looked at it during lunchtime and when I checked again at 4! The scale has improved significantly and the numbers they've used for the "gradients" are better in my opinion.

I came here to criticise Met Eireann after using it this afternoon but now it seems to be much better! :o I was very confused when people were praising it for the improved rainfall scale when every time I looked at it in the past two weeks had this jump from 8mm/hr to 32mm/hr! Until 5 minutes ago...

I have to say it now, fair play MÉ, I've made a complete u-turn in 5 minutes flat!

I'd also like to add that it seems harder to get Internet Explorer 9 to properly reload pages. I found that earlier on with getting the radar refreshed, I had to open the page in a new tab! Even pressing control + F5 didn't make a difference. And it's happened with more than just Met Éireann's website. Firefox 3.6 works fine for me.

Another modification that I would like to see is a small change in the way that the animation operates. I would prefer it that when you press "Play" it runs through a cycle & stops at the last reading - it's quite tricky to hit "Pause" at the right moment. Just as you are taking in the most recent reading & guessing where the rain will go next, the animation shoots back to 4 hours ago !.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Has anyone noticed how the Met Eireann logo cycles through various shades of grey/white/pink as the animation progresses? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

one word for all you guys on IE

Chrome

IE is very slow on all applications

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Discodog wrote: »
    Another modification that I would like to see is a small change in the way that the animation operates. I would prefer it that when you press "Play" it runs through a cycle & stops at the last reading - it's quite tricky to hit "Pause" at the right moment. Just as you are taking in the most recent reading & guessing where the rain will go next, the animation shoots back to 4 hours ago !.

Simple answer is just use the arrows if you want to stop at the last frame. ;)

John.Icy wrote: »
    Simple answer is just use the arrows if you want to stop at the last frame. ;)

Read my post again ;)

Discodog, would it help if the latest image was displayed for an extra second or two before it cycled back to 3 hours ago?

I don't think it's a significant issue myself, I just click the arrows as required to scroll through the radar images to whatever point in time I want. The "arrow" buttons give all the flexibility I want in progressing the radar images. (and it's one of the best things about the new radar images)

Discodog, would it help if the latest image was displayed for an extra second or two before it cycled back to 3 hours ago?

Well it might give more time to hit the pause button :D. I have no interest in where the rain has been. My sole concern is the rain that is heading my way & it's intensity/timing. I often find it easier to look at EHMI's superb animation to get a feel for which way the rain is moving & then go back to the radar. I suspect that I am unusual here in that I have referred to the radar every 30 mins or so today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I often find it easier to look at EHMI's superb animation to get a feel for which way the rain is moving & then go back to the radar. I suspect that I am unusual here in that I have referred to the radar every 30 mins or so today.

Got a Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Read my post again ;)

I know what you mean, I thought the same, but by clicking the arrows I can stop it at the last after flying through all the radar shots :)

John.Icy wrote: »
    I know what you mean, I thought the same, but by clicking the arrows I can stop it at the last after flying through all the radar shots :)

Yes you can click pause if you are quick enough. Lot easier to do on a PC than on a mobile device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Shannon needs repairs already?

Serious interference today. Cork is under attack from Kildare!

167067.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The interference is pretty bad and needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Wow... looking at it there, yeah, it's really bad interference... what could they do about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Serious interference today. Cork is under attack from Kildare!

167067.png

That looks more like a game of darts to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Wow... looking at it there, yeah, it's really bad interference... what could they do about that?
    There's a really long technical answer about the wi-fi providers and their equipment but I won't repeat what someone else has discussed at length.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

More repairs on a Radar that was upgraded to avoid these sort of outages. Words fail me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Its predicting the future now :)

167160.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks like Dublin radar is in time lapse mode - lot of elongation at the edges.

Maybe, just maybe, we might one day have a period of time when the radar is not featured here for all the wrong reasons.

Is it me or does it seem that Shannon chooses it's moment to die to coincide with the arrival of weather fronts ie when we need it most ? :)

Advertisement