Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swanky new radar on met.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

John mac wrote: »
    Its predicting the future now :)

Isn't that what forecasting is all about?:D

Discodog wrote: »
    Looks like Dublin radar is in time lapse mode - lot of elongation at the edges.

Maybe, just maybe, we might one day have a period of time when the radar is not featured here for all the wrong reasons.

Is it me or does it seem that Shannon chooses it's moment to die to coincide with the arrival of weather fronts ie when we need it most ? :)

Yes, when Shannon dies it's usually a sign of bad weather coming from the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

Anyone else having a problem refreshing? I have to restart the browser to update the image. IE 9

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Its fine on firefox and chrome. for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I have seen that problem with IE9 but it works fine with firefox for me.

• Advertisement

If the older one refreshes ok with explorer and the newer one doesn't which do we blame?
    One of the first tests web application developers usually do is a compatibility test with current and more commonly used browsers.

Well I've had problems with IE9 and refreshing pages on more than just the Met.ie website! I think the RTE live tracker for different sports events was one such example. I'd have to load the webpage in a new tab, ctrl+F5 wasn't enough to reload with updated info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

if you live in Sligo Leitrim or Donegal the radar will not pick up heavy mist FACT

It was tipping it down today and (as on a number of other occasions in the past) and I looked at the radar and it showed clear over Sligo but when I went out its wet.

Either I live in a different Sligo or they dont cover this area only for heavy rain.

Im using www.raintoday.co.uk anymore or UK Met Office as they have Belfast in theirs.

Sorry Met Eireann but Ill use you for other data just not rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Someone did post something about droplet sizes or densities. You can get surprising wet without anything showing on the radar. But recently I have stayed completely dry whilst sitting under a yellow blob :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How many times do I need to ask for more Radars and higher up! :(

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    How many times do I need to ask for more Radars and higher up! :(

Unless you pay for them you won't get them - maybe if we all made loads of premium rate calls to "Weatherdial"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

pauldry wrote: »
    if you live in Sligo Leitrim or Donegal the radar will not pick up heavy mist FACT
    No radar shows mist or fog, unless you meant heavy drizzle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Right now its all "wi-fi weather" across the southeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

pauldry wrote: »

Radar's dont pick up mist.
    Im using www.raintoday.co.uk anymore or UK Met Office as they have Belfast in theirs.

It looks like Met Eireann are using Belfast...unless Dublin was upgraded to cover NI now....look at recent days, Met.ie had the same precip as the Met Office over most of the North, with much better showing of precip than before the upgrade where nothing would show.

Also, Shannon is pretty dodgy these last few days, without Shannon, area's like Sligo arn't showing any precip as their on the far limit of Dublin.

Joe Public wrote: »
    Yes, when Shannon dies it's usually a sign of bad weather coming from the west.

Shannon is dead again !

Su Campu wrote: »
    No radar shows mist or fog, unless you meant heavy drizzle?

Good point but some of the heavy drizzle n rain arent even showing. A country like Ireland which is at the forefront of Europes weather should have a modern radar that the rest of Western Europe would look to in order to see how heavy the rain coming is.

Im sure sometimes the UK Met Office must get peed off at Shannon not working even if they have their own devices.

Anyone know how to set up a radar. Maybe if everyone on boards gave a fiver we could set up one on the cheap.:p

though I think this is what Met Eireann did.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Discodog wrote: »
    Shannon is dead again !

Gone beyond a joke now at this stage. The up and down times of both the Shannon and Dublin radars over the last 18 months or so is totally unacceptable. Met Eireann please once and for all fix the issues and give us a radar we can rely on. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Gone beyond a joke now at this stage. The up and down times of both the Shannon and Dublin radars over the last 18 months or so is totally unacceptable. Met Eireann please once and for all fix the issues and give us a radar we can rely on. :mad:

I'm fairly sure that ME don't look after the radars though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that ME don't look after the radars though.

ME employ a contractor, said contractor is not providing the service to ME who in turn are not providing their customers with a radar service. Somewhere along the line ME have to be accountable for the lack of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

167576.jpg

Still looks a bit sick,

• Advertisement

Somewhere along the line ME have to be accountable for the lack of service.

That sounds like straw clutching to bash ME to be honest.

Sure ME could get someone to enquire about it, but until Shannon airport want's to put the time and effort in to have it fixed, there isn't much for them to do only to keep asking, and they probably do.

John.Icy wrote: »
    That sounds like straw clutching to bash ME to be honest.

Sure ME could get someone to enquire about it, but until Shannon airport want's to put the time and effort in to have it fixed, there isn't much for them to do only to keep asking, and they probably do.

So its Shannon airports fault now??? :confused: Ahh i give up :)

So its Shannon airports fault now??? :confused: Ahh i give up :)

Well that's where the radar is :)

Maybe ME should work harder on it, but it just seems like a piece of dodgy equipment, it's been on and off for months, and they have been working on it many times, but it just never holds up when it does start to work.

EDIT: Its back up now

John.Icy wrote: »
    Well that's where the radar is :)

Maybe ME should work harder on it, but it just seems like a piece of dodgy equipment, it's been on and off for months, and they have been working on it many times, but it just never holds up when it does start to work.

EDIT: Its back up now

Sign of fine weather to come:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That useless cnut of a radar in shannon is gone again :( Need the new radars in Dooncarton and Schull soon as possible we do. Get yeer fingers out there Met!

It doesnt really bode well for ME when we are all looking for websites elsewhere to get a radar.

Im looking at www.raintoday.co.uk or www.sat24.com a lot more now.

I spose their gain is mets loss

Also look at MT Forecasts always now so we dont really need ME

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

are there really heavy showers in cork at the moment or has the radar at met.ie malfunctioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    are there really heavy showers in cork at the moment or has the radar at met.ie malfunctioned

Well, we do have some great clouds ... a little bit more convection and we could have a good downpour. ~ it does not feel like it to me though.

BTW. It's also a radar reflection fault ~ micro wave interference which makes it look like we have constant thunder ~ in this case we do have good thick cloud cover [too].

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I was looking at this earlier and it looks poor enough, those radar lines make it dificult to see what's actually going on...

• Advertisement

Who carried out the tenders to revamp the RADAR monitoring equipment for Shannon and then Dublin?!

Advertisement