Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swanky new radar on met.ie

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Who carried out the tenders to revamp the RADAR monitoring equipment for Shannon and then Dublin?!

index-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I was hoping by doing nothing it would eventually work on my Nokia N71 phone but no such luck, it just displays a black background where the new radar map should be. I just click on the "Previous Rainfall Radar Page" link to view the met.ie rainfall radar as it works ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I've only just noticed http://mobile.met.ie which is perfect for access over a mobile phone and notice it uses the older rainfall radar image which works much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

The "new" radar image on met.ie is a disgrace in my opinion. It adds great (standard and years overdue for any half decent met website) features like play, pause and step frames at the expense of a map that looks like it's been traced by a child with crayons and an intensity colour scheme that doesn't really work.

But it's so much better than the original "new" radar which was so bad it was laughable and took weeks to get even remotely usable. I think most of us were just so relieved that we gave Met Eireann a big thumbs up and nobody dared criticise them again in fear of them trying to "fix" things again.

I still like you though Met Eireann :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The MetOffice in England have changed their radar on their site too, whilst the zoom is very welcome, the animation is brutal when compared to MetEireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Danno wrote: »
    The MetOffice in England have changed their radar on their site too, whilst the zoom is very welcome, the animation is brutal when compared to MetEireann.

The quality of the graphics are very good, have found it very good for the recent convective activity, far superior than the met.ie maps.

The only problem with the metOffice one is that it loads up the 5 minute about 15mins after the time & yes the animation needs a high powered PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The only problem with the metOffice one is that it loads up the 5 minute about 15mins after the time

See it on the Met, n it's already gone. If we want to storm chase here we'll need our own radar. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

The "will it rain today" site looks much better - is it up to date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Wild Bill wrote: »
    The "will it rain today" site looks much better - is it up to date?

Modern radar theory necessitates overlap, preferably by three radar units within 300km [the maximum range but effective working range is only half that].

Everything outside can only ever be a prediction and an animation of expected state and location.

For Ireland raintoday use the Irish Met's data, but they can further interpret it. Around Dublin there is a chance of the radar being useful for real-time interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Pilot brief international has real proper weather radar tracking but alas subscription only. I have to say met eireann weather radar re rainfall gives a decent indication of what's going on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement