Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow is the new fast...

Options
  • 29-06-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Hello boardsies!

I've decided to start this log as I need something to focus on... and probably some help & feedback.
    My boyfriend of 4 years dumped me last week (18th June to be exact) and I've had to move back to my parents house. My life has basically been turned upside down and I needed something to concentrate on to keep myself sane (and stop the crying :eek:).....so I decided to sign up for the Irish Runner 5 mile in the Phoenix park in July :D.

A bit of history & stats: I'm 26, female and have always loved athletics. I was in Clonliffe Harriers until I was about 17/18 (went to college & discovered alcohol...). I was a sprinter until then, concentrating on 100m & 200m, training 4-5 days a week and was very focused (12.5sec PB @ 16yrs old for 100m- but was unlucky with injuries & sicknesses). I did cross country in the winter for school and for the club to make up the team, but never had much interest in longer distances.

Back to the present! I cycle to & from work daily, my new commute from my parents house is 7km each way so I'm doing at least 14km a day on the bike. I had been running on my lunch in work a few times a week, but nothing more than a mile, maybe 2km. I do kettlebell, core and push ups at home a couple of times a week too (sometimes:rolleyes:). My level of fitness is ok... but I hadn't been comfortable running more than 2km, and also get injured a lot.

Last week I went out and tried something new... running SLOW (well, slower than I had been)!
    This is what I've done so far according to my Garmin:

21st June: 3.03km in 21:55
    23rd June: 4.86km in 32:06
    25th June: 4.04km in 25:51
    27th June: 6.96km in 43.31

So i'm fairly happy so far with my progress in the last week (distance-wise). My legs feel fine - just a bit of tightness that some stretching & rolling will sort out, and a bit of shin pain - but it is fading.

I'd like to do the 5 mile on 16th July in no more than 45mins - I don't know how realistic that is, but that's my current goal. I'll set a new goal once I complete that.
    I have the Dublin marathon in the back of my mind. It's 18 weeks away - and that's the length of most of the training plans - so I'll consider trying it, but I feel that the marathon probably deserves more respect than a few months training.

Anyway, that's me:cool:!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Was busy the last two evenings, so my plan for the next few days in addition to my usual cycle unless anything changes:

Tonight: at least 5km - depending how it goes I might push it to 7km.
    Tomorrow: Depending on a friends plans, either rest or some cross training
    Saturday: 8km
    Sunday: 5km with some intervals
    Monday: Rest (unless I'm feeling particularly energetic!)

Wasn't feeling 100%, but happy with how I did tonight nonetheless. Getting there.

5.03km in 30:22

Here's my splits per km:

1 00:06:09
    2 00:06:02
    3 00:06:07
    4 00:06:03
    5 00:05:51

Ok, not long back from my first 8km... yaaay me:D! Although I had to stop & walk for about 2 mins - the heat on an uphill section of the run was really getting to me. Perhaps not a great idea to go out around midday...

8.01km in 55:18 avg pace 6:54

Here's my splits per km:

1 00:06:28
    2 00:06:32
    3 00:06:39
    4 00:06:44
    5 00:07:33
    6 00:08:00
    7 00:06:56
    8 00:06:19

Happy enough to have covered the distance... but a bit disappointed at how long it took, and that I had to walk a bit :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done captain p. Best of luck with the log. Try not get too hung up on time and enjoy running. It sure is a great way to clear the head.

What a beautiful day!
    Did some stretching, strength work and rolling out today. Legs feel tired and have a few blisters but planning on 5km tomorrow evening. :o

• Advertisement

5km in 28:53 tonight.

Will update properly tomorrow.

Exhausted.

Lack of sleep from stressing over having to move my stuff out of my apartment & sorting the lease etc and still feeling really really down about the breakup. My appetite is still really low so also probably has alot to do with my lack of energy (lost about half a stone in two weeks - and was only about 8.5 stone to start with). Have a wisdom tooth on the move now aswell to top it off, so think I'll take tonight off my planned 5km and look after myself instead.

Dreading my cycle home - it's uphill most of the way :(

Might do some stretching, ice the shins and try get an early night. Will do a 5km tomorrow even if I'm still feeling pooped. Need to do an 8km on Saturday to get one more in before the race.

On a positive note, I'm looking forward to heading to the Morton Mile on Friday :) haven't been since I was a basket girl back in my Clonliffe days!

Didn't do any stretching the last few days and really paid for it tonight, got 2.5km in and had to stop, shins and calves in a lot of pain :-(.

6.26km today in 40:14

Splits:

1 00:06:14
    2 00:06:05
    3 00:06:16
    4 00:06:44
    5 00:06:53
    6 00:06:21

Was intending on a slow easy 8km, legs felt fine - but stomach didn't; was sick yesterday evening and overnight so not a great idea to run. I wanted at least one more 8km before the race next week, but not gonna happen. Not been a good week :(

I'll do 2 5km's this week, probably Tues & Wednesday.
    Not expecting much better than 50 mins for the 5 miler next Sat, but I'll give it my best shot!

Happy-ish with the improvements I've made in such a short time.

The Morton Mile was very enjoyable, very nostalgic being back up in Santry Stadium on Friday night. Some amazing runners, I was really impressed with the talent, especially in the mile and the 800m races:).

captain P wrote: »
    5km in 28:53 tonight.

Will update properly tomorrow.

Oh, and here's the splits from this one...

1 00:05:17
    2 00:06:04
    3 00:05:55
    4 00:06:09
    5 00:05:25

• Advertisement

5.01km in 28:43.....

Getting there! Still not feeling great, so wasnt expecting to even get very far. Happy with that.
    Not hugely confident about the 5 mile on Sat, I've only managed to finish the distance once in my 3 weeks training. But ill give it a good shot!

Some stretching tonight and lots of water.
    Nervous for the race tomorrow,havent really done enough training! Ill just do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'll be grand, enjoy the day tomorrow and good luck! :D

you will do great. Your first race and you will be bursting with pride at the end of it. Go out and enjoy it. Have fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Best of luck with log and race tomorrow. Hope you enjoy it

Really enjoyed the race :D. It had been 10 years since the last race I did... forgot how fun it is!

Feet got soaked on my (further than I thought 11km) cycle to the Phoenix park, so I'm left with several blisters from wet shoes & socks :(...

I went in the 40-50min wave and found it very congested at the start, and I had to pass a lot of walkers a long the way who must have gone in the first wave.
    Delighted with my run. Didn't stop, kept a steady pace (thanks to a guy from about 0.5 mile in who was going about the same pace and we kinda stuck next to each other the whole race).
    The Kyber was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Found the S bends a bit tougher than the Kyber, but I just put my head down & got through it handy enough. found a lot of people slowed down and walked up the hills which was a bit annoying to have to run around them... slowed me down a bit.

Finished in 48:03. With only 3 weeks training I'm delighted and very proud of myself :cool:. Here's a link to my Garmin: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99458070

On a sad & quite pathetic note :(, I kept looking out to see if my boyfriend (haven't got around to saying "ex" yet) would have been cheering for me coz he was meant to be running it and would have been finishing about 35mins... but he was nowhere to be seen.

Anyway, I'm delighted with how well I did, I can't wait to do another race, but I think the 10 mile will be a bit too soon for me.

I think i'd like to do a few 5ks so i'll keep my eye out for upcoming races.

Wouldn't mind trying a duathlon. I cycled approx 22km and ran 8.11 km today in total. I'm pooped but can't wait to have a beer :D!

Ok, so I got the 5 mile done :D. Now it's time for some new goals.

I've applied to go back to college to do a MSc and I find out about that in a few weeks, so everything is kind of on hold until then... then I can properly restart planning my new single life one way or another :o.

These are my provisonal goals for my running over the next year, nothing set in stone yet:

25th Sept 2011: Rathfarnham 5k - would like to complete in 25mins.
    Jan 2012: Raheny 5
    1st April 2012: Connemarathon Half
    May/ June 2012: Phoenix park duathlon
    Summer 2012: Dublin race series 5 mile, 10 mile, Half
    October 2012: Dublin Marathon :eek:

I'd like to get a 10km in before the Connemarathon too.

I want to do a beginners Pilates course soon (if anyone can recommend a good value decent place in Dublin city centre or Dublin 9/3 areas that'd be great!).

My core is weak and my hip mobility is not great so I think that could help me.

Still sore from the weekend so probably won't run tonight.

Not a 10k, but the Raheny 5 is on in late January and that may suit you in terms of a shorter race around that time.

Not a 10k, but the Raheny 5 is on in late January and that may suit you in terms of a shorter race around that time.

Thanks, I went and watched it in Jan this year, thought it was a very good event. Completely forgot about it :rolleyes:. That'll suit perfectly.

well done on Saturday. You did great

• Advertisement

Went for a run tonight, knowing it wasnt going to be great, did about 20 mins, got about 3.5km.
    From the very start, my breathing was off, and felt like i had no control over my arms or legs! Strange.
    Kept going though, and did my 20 mins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

captain P wrote: »
    These are my provisonal goals for my running over the next year, nothing set in stone yet:

25th Sept 2011: Rathfarnham 5k - would like to complete in 25mins.
    Jan 2012: Raheny 5
    1st April 2012: Connemarathon Half
    May/ June 2012: Phoenix park duathlon
    Summer 2012: Dublin race series 5 mile, 10 mile, Half
    October 2012: Dublin Marathon :eek:

That looks like a good progression over the next year and a bit and if you stick with it it should be no bother to you (Well the marathon will be tough over the last few miles but that's the same for everyone!).
    Went for a run tonight, knowing it wasnt going to be great, did about 20 mins, got about 3.5km.
    From the very start, my breathing was off, and felt like i had no control over my arms or legs! Strange.
    Kept going though, and did my 20 mins smile.gif
    I wouldn't worry about that - likely to be left over effect from the race.

Thanks Belcarra. I'll put a proper plan in place in the next few weeks and try my best to stick with it, that'll be the hard part!
    I've never done any kind of distance running before, and it's very time consuming!
    I think it'll be worthwhile in the end. I'll probably have to try find a group to run with on the longer ones. Found the race much easier than training on my own.

Got drenched on my cycle to work yesterday, foolishly didn't wear any rain gear so my runners were soaked through and didn't dry all day. Because of this, I was shivery and cold and miserable all day, when I got home I just wanted some warm food and my bed... so my planned 5km went out the window.
    I'm heading away (down to Doolin) for the weekend, and I'll take my running gear with me. I don't know if I'll get the chance for a run because my niece and nephew will be there and I plan on spoiling them (and me) rotten for the few days... and also having many beers each evening.

I'm back on Monday evening and this is my current plan for next week:

Tuesday: 5km easy
    Wednesday: hopefully starting Pilates
    Thursday: Rest/ Stretch
    Friday: have the day off work so might do 8km+

Then at some stage on the weekend (probably Sunday) I'm going to cycle over to Belfield and do something along the lines of 4x 300m fast with a slow jog recovery inbetween on the track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on the 5 mile race on Sat and best of luck with the log & goals

Cycled home and went straight out for a run. Did an easy run, 4.95km in 29.57.

Need new runners.

Thought pilates was tonight, but its tomorrow :( glad I realised before i got there!

Gonna relax with some biscuits, popcorn and maybe even a glass of wine!

Did my first Pilates class last night. Enjoyed it, wasn't as hard as I expected! I'm not that sore this morning - just a bit achy in the hips and my neck a little. Think I was doing some of it wrong, but I'm sure I'll get better as I go along. My core muscles should be sorer!

Gonna do a run in a while, might cycle to the seafront and run along there for a few miles.

Really need new runners. I wear Nike frees, but i wear them all the time, not just running. Best runners Ive had and everywhere is out of stock! Thinking of ordering some Adizero adios, but the colours are awful and Adidas never seem to fit me right in the toes.

Talk to RacoonQueen about shoes - she will be able to give you good advice on that kind of shoe ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks! I'll pop her a PM. :)

Advertisement