Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow is the new fast...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Pilates last night was good! Weighed myself this morning and despite my efforts have lost another kilo!

Most importantly, I'm writing from the bus this morning, my lovely bike is at home because I'm going for drinks after work coz its my last day!! Scary, but I think good!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Just been reading through your log, you're making great progress. Keep up the good work;)

Recovered from the weekend so back to business today! Cycled into town to get a bento box for lunches but couldn't get what I wanted :( Any suggestions send em my way!

Ran about 5km (paused watch to tie my lace and forgot to restart, so just an estimate) in about 30 mins. Knee at me again, but very typical IT band pain. Think my new runners are affecting my gait a bit. Lots of foam rolling to be done.

Hoping to get a long run and an intervals session done this week as well as another slow 30mins too.

Long sore slow run! 14.2km in 1:37:09 avg pace 6:51..

Will update properly tomorrow. Pooped!!
    ---

EDIT: avg pace was actually 6:48/km.

I really tired out towards the last 5km of this run, my lungs were fine, but my legs were not happy with me at all!! I found my Pilates strength kicking in though, as I started to slouch when I tired I was able to hold myself up stronger than I would have before - definitely putting that down to the Pilates. The last 2-3km was uphill which was really hard - but very glad I didn't stop. My splits for those few km were: 7:36, 7.29 & 7.29... a lot slower.

Plan to do a 20-30 min recovery run later today, Pilates tomorrow, and try an interval session on Friday.

20 mins recovery run. Legs doing ok. Lots of stretching and rolling and icing afterwards.

• Advertisement

Pilates last night.
    Today, Cycled 12km to Belfield and did 800m warm up run and bout 20 mins stretching. Then did 300m, 200m, 200m, 300m, 400m, 400m with walking recovery and then 1000m cool down and stretch.

Will check the garmin in th morning to have a look at my pace, I reckon I went too fast!! :p

EDIT:
    300m: 1.00 min
    200m: 0.43
    200m: didnt hit lap (my garmin is not great for this kind of session)
    300m: 1.08
    400m: 1.53 (4:32min/k)
    400m: 1.54

The 200m were just for fun. Intended doing a few more 400's at about 5min/k pace but I was late meeting a friend and had to go.

8km nice and slow 50:56 avg pace 6:22.

Legs felt good. Finally starting to settle into the new runners. Had a stitch for the first 25mins.... just couldn't get rid of it so slowed right down until it eased. A few months ago i would've just stopped straight away and walked home in a huff :pac:

Hoping to do a long run early in the week and maybe try a tempo run towards the weekend.

Intended on 6km, but got 3km and I just wasn't feeling right.

Hopefully ok for a long slow run tomorrow.

15.02km in 1:42:55.... avg pace: 6:48min/k

Delighted with this. Took what felt like forever, mainly because of the wind. It's mental windy out! At one stage I actually got pushed backwards by it :eek:!!!

I was barely out of breath when I finished(ie only took 2 mins for breathing to slow to relaxed pace), not sure if that is good or bad. My legs are sore, but a lot less than my long run last week. Did some stretching when I got back, will ice my sore muscles and stretch some more later.

Been running properly just over 2 months and I'm very happy with my progress. I've probably said it before... at least this one thing good has come from being dumped and having to start again :o! Its been a great motivator.

(also, tried chocolate milk as a recovery drink for the first time... was yummy but made me phlegmy, as dairy usually does - anyone got any decent suggestions as an alternative?)

By 5pm yesterday I felt terrible... Really exhausted and felt quite weak. Tried to eat a bit more than usual but didn't seem to work. Slept crap but went to Pilates this morning...enjoyed it, but my energy levels dropped really low after and I spent the afternoon lying down :(.

No running tomorrow, heading away for a night. Hopefully a run on Friday.. maybe 7-8km, and some kind of tempo run or intervals on the weekend.

• Advertisement

Blergh :mad:!!

Intended on 8km. Managed 5.5k in 30 mins and had to walk back home. Everything was off. The sweat was pumping off me way more than usual. My legs hurt and my stomach felt wrong. Think I need a few days of proper rest or something, hopefully I'm not coming down with something.

Start college on Monday and should really be fresh for it!

First 2 days in my masters and there's a feckin hurricane! :P was too scared to cycle or run (me+bike=less than 60kg), but this afternoon my brain needed some physical exercise relief so I went for a refreshing 5km, took about 29 mins, felt much better!

Cycling and running tomorrow regardless of weather, forgot how much I hate the bus!

I feel great. Did my first full UCD commute so today cycled approx 25km and tonight did a very pleasant 7.55k run in 46.08, avg pace 6:06min/km. I put a lot of effort into the uphill sections and went fast :D - my legs enjoyed stretching out.

Did some push ups & planks before, and stretching after. Legs feel good.

Anyone got any good suggestions for routes in UCD that avoids students as much as possible? Its been about 5 yrs since I was there and there's a lot of new buildings! Will try get daytime runs done out there some days.

Brought a friend for a run last night. He's looking to increase fitness for Rugby by running a bit. Was nice to have a bit of company - but kinda weird because I've gotten so used to it just being me & my audiobook!

Did 5km in 31:59, 6:03min/k avg pace.

No running today, just a 10 min session of sit ups, push ups, planks and some squats & turkish get-ups with a kettlebell (as well cycle to/from college).

I signed up months ago to volunteer at the half-marathon tomorrow, completely forgot about it until I got an email yesterday... not sure I can make it now - but I'll try my best :rolleyes:!!

captain P wrote: »
    Did some push ups & planks before, and stretching after. Legs feel good.

How are your wrists holding up? They must be improving if you're able for push ups?:D

Cleanman wrote: »
    How are your wrists holding up? They must be improving if you're able for push ups?:D

I use these at home, keeps my wrists straight so much easier than on my knuckles.... wrists are still pretty useless :p!!!
    31-9237159A73UC621400M.jpg

They might be easier on the knuckles but I find push ups much more difficult using those. So well done you!;)

Best of luck with the studies.

10km in 1:00:40 avg pace 6:04min/k

1 5:45.5
    2 6:01.3
    3 6:39.6
    4 6:14.2
    5 6:21.4
    6 6:13.7
    7 6:10.3
    8 6:12.8
    9 5:51.3
    10 5:37.7

My head needed that run. Feel good now. Legs feel good. Just a few more blisters :(

No run since Saturday. Sunday was the match (woop woop Dublin :D:D) and Monday was recovery from that.
    Yesterday I had a really busy day (didn't get home til after 10pm) and today I have a very sore back.
    I've taken some ibuprofen for my back but it's not doing much. I might try a run later, but with my race on Sunday I don't want to aggravate any strain that might be there (plus the change in weather has made me a bit chesty & sinusy). I have Pilates tomorrow which usually helps with any back aches and I'll try get a slow run tonight or tomorrow and Friday too.

Looking forward to the Rathfarnham 5k on Sunday :), just wish I was able to get a few more runs in this week.

:( not looking good. Slight sore throat, sneezy, mild chesty cough. Hope it's not a cold coming on. Pilates tonight & I'll try a run tomorrow. If I'm not any better, I'll hide in bed all day Saturday with lemsips & vitamin C & hope for the best!

• Advertisement

Ok, felt terrible yesterday. chesty cough & breathing not amazing. But no worse today. Haven't ran in a week but cycled about 10 miles a day as usual. Gonna look after myself today and hopefully be ok for the race tomorrow.
    Was really confident & looking forward to it up until now :(. Also found out the ex is running it too which doesn't help!

Didn't stop my watch til a bit after I stopped so I reckon it was about 26:10. Garmin says 26.15 avg pace 5:15min/km.

1 5:23.4
    2 5:29.7
    3 5:28.5
    4 5:04.1
    5 4:45.0

Very disappointed because I know if I had been feeling better I could've done it a lot faster. Nearly coughed up a lung at 3km :mad:

It's a nice course though and I'll be back with a vengeance next year!

Might have to do the Racepix 5km next month to make up for it :rolleyes:

26:09 is my official time from the Rathfarnham 5k.

Still coughing a lot and I've also hurt my knee (bent down awkwardly yesterday and it locked up and now is swollen & sore). :(

Could really do with a run, but looks like I'm out for at least a few more days. :mad: I got fancy new earphones for running I wanted to try out! They'll have to wait... BLERGH!

Trying to keep up the strength sessions; pilates once a week. And a bit at home two or three times a week. Cycling bout 15km every day as usual, often more.

Was at a rheumatologist today, mainly about my wrist and ridiculously stiff back & hamstrings. Apparently there's nothing much they can do for the stiffness.... just lots of stretching and some physio now and then. Wrist needs more tests.

Cough & knee still the same. Getting very frustrated without running!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ejkil18

Well done captain_p, you're doing great! I started running around the same time as you and I only managed the Rathfarnham 5km in 33.27 - after reading your posts I'm going to stop congratulationing myself and pick up the pace, maybe I'm going a little bit too slow and steady! I haven't ran further than 5km yet, I'm hoping to change that this Saturday -I have some sort of mental block about it though and I have the fear!

Do you suffer with shin pain much and if so, what do you do about it? Mine seems to come on quicker and is a lot sorer if I don't rest at least one day between runs but it's still lingers unless I rest 3/4 days which is far from ideal.

ejkil18 wrote: »
    Well done captain_p, you're doing great! I started running around the same time as you and I only managed the Rathfarnham 5km in 33.27 - after reading your posts I'm going to stop congratulationing myself and pick up the pace, maybe I'm going a little bit too slow and steady! I haven't ran further than 5km yet, I'm hoping to change that this Saturday -I have some sort of mental block about it though and I have the fear!

Do you suffer with shin pain much and if so, what do you do about it? Mine seems to come on quicker and is a lot sorer if I don't rest at least one day between runs but it's still lingers unless I rest 3/4 days which is far from ideal.
    Hi ejkil,

Congratulations on the Rathfarnham 5k :)!I have a bit of an advantage that I ran alot when I was younger & I'm very motivated now not to quit, so maybe my legs have gotten used to it quicker :o. If you're not comfortable with more than 5km, just take your time and very gradually increase it. Even if it's just an extra 200m - that's 200m more than the last day!

I used to suffer a lot with shin pain - and the best advice I can give is to go see a physio. In my case it was caused by nerves & tightness in my upper leg muscles but it's different for everyone so you really should see someone if it persists. A gait scan would be useful to make sure your runners are suitable. Icing your shins after your run can help reduce pain too.
    This thread is worth a read too: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70663806

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ejkil18

Thank for the advice! I'm heading out for a run tonight and I'm going to do exactly what you say and try and go just a little further than usual!

Will also read up on the post you sent and see about a physio - I'm running in parks most of the time at the moment, which have plenty of tarmac and grass to take the edge of the pain but they'll be closing early as of next week so I'm going to have to get them sorted before I start running on paths, they definitely don't help the situation!

Who knows, maybe this time next year I'll be crossing the DCM finish line beside you!!

Got very frustrated with some college stuff and so said f**k you Microsoft Access - I'm going for a run :D!

I did 3.7km, took 21 mins. Have a few little niggles, but think I can ease myself back into it this week and back to proper training again next week :):D!! I did some stretching straight after the run, and I'll do some later again. Lungs seem ok - coughed a little bit, but nothing much.

Probably need to get into a twice daily stretching routine - gonna make a physio appointment soon to sort something out.

7.00km in 41:43, avg pace 5:58min/km.

Nice and relaxed, got caught in a heavy rain shower at the start, but otherwise a very pleasant run :).

Some push ups beforehand, and some sit-ups & planks after.

• Advertisement

5.01k in 30 mins.

Just a slow leg stretcher. Haven't eaten well or slept well the last few days so this was just to get me out!

Advertisement