Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow is the new fast...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

7k in 43.46

Got home later than usual on the bike and it was a nice evening so I went straight back out coz I knew if I ate first I'd end up goin to bed! Enjoyed the run. Took my time. Alot more people out running than usual which was nice to see.

Have my wrist MRI tomorrow, apparently I go into the machine in a Superman pose..... :o

14.40km in 1:30:14 avg pace 6:18min/km

Twas lashing rain for the last hour of this run, people must have been looking at me thinking "why is that girl smiling? She's soaked".

It was a very good long slow run. Felt like I could have kept going for another half hour or so, but I knew a delicious dinner would be waiting for me about 6ish so wanted to get back for it :D!!

(an it was delicious, the wine helped too!)

8.35km in 55.22 mins

Recovery run, completely got lost in my audio book and went further than I intended. Legs are tired & a bit stiff, but otherwise good!

3k in 17 mins

Didn't go as planned but I'm not too worried, had a few beers last night at a wedding!

It's 4 months since my boyfriend & I split and since then:

I moved home to my parents house.
    I quit my crappy job.
    I started a Masters.
    5 friends have got engaged.
    2 friends have got married.
    I got asked for ID on two occasions when buying alcohol!
    I've done at least 3 things I shouldn't have.

Most importantly though, I've run approximately 305km (190 miles!). :D

Need to challenge myself a bit the next week or two. Some interval sessions and planning on a 17km this weekend.

captain P wrote: »
    3k in 17 mins

Didn't go as planned but I'm not too worried, had a few beers last night at a wedding!

It's 4 months since my boyfriend & I split and since then:

I moved home to my parents house.
    I quit my crappy job.
    I started a Masters.
    5 friends have got engaged.
    2 friends have got married.
    I got asked for ID on two occasions when buying alcohol!
    I've done at least 3 things I shouldn't have.

Most importantly though, I've run approximately 305km (190 miles!). :D

Need to challenge myself a bit the next week or two. Some interval sessions and planning on a 17km this weekend.

Should have added to that I've lost 7kg, I now weigh 48kg :o

Tonight 7.01 km in 41.09.. 2k warm up, 2k fast, 1k slow, 1k fast, slow home. When i say fast, I did it by feel, so sped up til I was out of breath and kept goin for a bit. Didn't pay too much attention to the Garmin.
    Gorgeous night out, love this kind of weather.

• Advertisement

5km in 28.09

Got out early today in a study break to help clear my head a bit... exam tomorrow. Legs a bit tired and achy but looking forward to trying my 17km on the weekend.

Have to get more full length tights, compression socks under 3/4 tights is not a good look!:p

20.00km in 2:09:23 avg pace 6.28min/km

Funny how things become clear when you run.

Went out with the intention of trying 17km and came home having completed 20km!!
    At the start I wasn't even sure I was going to manage 5km, did not feel comfortable at all - but I kept going and eventually started feeling good. At about 8km I started feeling great. I got a few smiles & nods from other runners (which is always nice). I finished my audio book (took about 2 months!!) and started another one at about 10km.

I was running through Fairview park at one point, and a kids football team started clapping me (I had my earphones in, so have no idea what they were shouting at me... but smiled all the same).
    I met a lady walking her dog while waiting to cross a road - we had a quick chat - she told me I should do the marathon and she had done it three times and loved it :).
    An old couple smiled and said hello at a bus stop.
    Normally all I get is lads shouting rude stuff out of van windows.. so it made a nice change to meet these people on my run!!

I got to 16km and was still 2km from the house, so decided I'd try for 18km, when I got to 18km, I figured... sure I may as well try for the 20!! I only started to lose my energy at about 19km and my last km was my slowest at 6.47min.

I walked about 500m before I got in, had a chocolate milk - and started to feel a bit wobbly when I got into the shower. Ok once I had some food. I'll have to look at bringing a drink or some kind of energy with me now that my runs are getting longer.

My hips are definitely my weak point, they started to ache about halfway through - can feel they're very tight. Have been stretching them at least once a day - and before & after runs which does seem to be helping out a bit.

Anyway I'm feckin delighted with myself for that... but now I really need a lie down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

You seem to be building a great base for yourself there P! Keep it up and you'll be flying for the 2012 season!!

belcarra wrote: »
    You seem to be building a great base for yourself there P! Keep it up and you'll be flying for the 2012 season!!

Thanks, belcarra... I hope so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

captainp you are doing great. Some progress going on well done.

• Advertisement

4.5km in 26.35

Recovery run in the wind and rain...
    Apart from the front of my right hip being very sore (guessing a tight flexor) all is good.
    Legs aren't as sore as I expected after yesterdays run! :)

I was looking for a picture, and came across this one I took a few years ago when I was moving out of my parents house... :D
    It's most of my medals from when I ran for Clonliffe & schools as a youngster!!

Intended on about 6-7km this morning as I'm busy tonight. Got about 2km down the road & was almost as tired as after the 20km on Sunday :(. Walked back.

Slept badly last night - putting it down to that & sore hip = heavy legs!

Bit of a hectic week.

Did 5km on Wednesday in about 30 mins.

Doubt I'll get a LSR in this weekend, the legs aren't great. We'll see how it goes.

I'll be in to give my support for the marathon on Monday, might go to around mile 20 where people will need a boost!

Was out giving my support again at the Dublin marathon today. Hopefully I helped some people get through the last mile or so :). Got lots of smiles, thanks, waves and thumbs up from runners, I doubt I'd have the energy for that after running that far!! Also had a few asking for a lend of my bike, and some comments on my bright pink compression socks (had the jeans rolled up for cycling) :D

I'm definitely running it next year. The crowd was great and the runners seemed to really support each other. The pace groups looked like a good place to be!! Can't wait.

Now, to rest my hands, all that clapping was tough work. :p

5.31km in 30.47 avg pace 5.47min/km

My first week back out in Belfield (part of my course is not on campus). So 12km cycle in this morning, 5km run after lectures and then cycled the 12km home straight after the run.

Was a nice run - there's a paved trail around the outskirts so you don't have to deal with running around students - it's nice & quiet through wooded areas, only have to put up with the odd rat & squirrel (I saw 4 rats and 6 squirrels in 30 mins :eek:!!).

7.8km 48:04 avg pace 6.10min/km

12km cycle in, then the run, then 12km cycle home. Legs are starting to feel the extra mileage - tiredness is setting in & I didn't find this an easy run, especially in the wind & rain :o!! I'm sure I'll toughen up quickly enough.

The path I took around UCD has got ups & downs and different terrains so my ankles and calves are feeling it more than usual - can only be a good thing!

Pilates tonight. May fall asleep during the warm up!!

You are doing some great running there captainp. And cycling to and from college on top of that good on ya. Any races planned?

Nules10 wrote: »
    You are doing some great running there captainp. And cycling to and from college on top of that good on ya. Any races planned?

Thanks Nules10, my legs are very tired today from the extra mileage this week :p! The running is keeping me sane though, so it's worth it.

I plan on doing the Raheny 5 in January, and I might do one of the Christmas 5k's next month too, any other recommendations? The main aim is Dublin Marathon 2012 :D!! I think a years training should be enough to get me over the line...:rolleyes:

Thanks Nules10, my legs are very tired today from the extra mileage this week :p! The running is keeping me sane though, so it's worth it.

I plan on doing the Raheny 5 in January, and I might do one of the Christmas 5k's next month too, any other recommendations? The main aim is Dublin Marathon 2012 :D!! I think a years training should be enough to get me over the line...:rolleyes:

You will be running longer than a year by DCM 2012... and sure if i can make it over you can. The run ireland website has a list of races on it and there is a thread for post DCM runners and someone has listed all the races for the rest of the year in that. I can't do the link to it :rolleyes: A few people have mention the jingle bells one and there is the santa dash on in clontarf too. Not sure of dates though

• Advertisement

Went for a few beers on Friday night... then did a spinning class on Saturday morning. HOLY CRAP! Spinning is hard!! I'd say I'd be more able for it it if not hungover because I spent half the class concentrating on not getting sick:(.

I can really see how it could help improve fitness, even with my cycling and running I think I found it as tough as the unfit people in the class. My legs are pretty exhausted and my lack of sleep the last week or two means no long slow run today.

I'll definitely be going back to spinning. It's pay as you go, €10 a class which I reckon is a bit steep - but the instructor was really good so I don't mind, probably only once every week or fortnight.

This week will be 12km cycle twice a day and hopefully 3 or 4 runs (5-10k)and a LSR on the weekend. Plus I'm doing pilates twice this week and probably spinning again next Saturday morning :).

Bit concerned I'm wasting away to nothing because people keep commenting on how thin I am (approx 48kg). But the exercise is really all that's keeping me sane at the moment. I've increased my calorie intake to about 2300 per day. I bring a bento box with lots of food with me to college, have a decent breakfast and dinner at home and usually a big bowl of hob-popped popcorn in the evenings too.

Usual cycle and then Pilates tonight.
    Gonna try do 2 pilates classes a week where possible. Really feeling the benefit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great reading captain p. I'm also using this crazy obsession with running to cope with a breakup!! Lol!

Anyway great progress. I'd also suggest the jingle bells 5k. It's on the 3rd December in the Phoenix park. Here's the link

http://donoreharriers.com/home_nav_9.html

Keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Was out giving my support again at the Dublin marathon today. Hopefully I helped some people get through the last mile or so :). Got lots of smiles, thanks, waves and thumbs up from runners, I doubt I'd have the energy for that after running that far!! Also had a few asking for a lend of my bike, and some comments on my bright pink compression socks (had the jeans rolled up for cycling) :D

I'm definitely running it next year. The crowd was great and the runners seemed to really support each other. The pace groups looked like a good place to be!! Can't wait.

Now, to rest my hands, all that clapping was tough work. :p

With your dedication to training, you will have no problem with DCM CP :)

Just a quick post from my phone - will do a proper update tomorrow.

Hurt my foot on my run today, two swollen toes (3rd & 4th). Not really sure what happened, gonna use my difene spray on it tonight & tomorrow & hope for the best!

dolliemix wrote: »
    Great reading captain p. I'm also using this crazy obsession with running to cope with a breakup!! Lol!

Anyway great progress. I'd also suggest the jingle bells 5k. It's on the 3rd December in the Phoenix park. Here's the link

http://donoreharriers.com/home_nav_9.html

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks :) Will sign up in the next few days - wanna make sure this foot heals first:(

So yesterday, had my usual cycle in.
    Went for a run before leaving, with a few of the lads from my class (who'd have thunk loads of people from a comp sci MSc would be into running :eek:?!). Got about 4km and got a really sharp pain at the base of my toes on my left foot, I stopped for a minute and checked my shoe thinking maybe a stone - but nothing there. Tried to keep going for a few more minutes but it was too painful so just stopped and cycled home.

Put the difene spray on it last night and twice today, and it still hurts but the swelling has gone down a bit and there's no bruising. Hoping to be able to run by Friday.

Wanna do a long run on Sat/Sunday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

(who'd have thunk loads of people from a comp sci MSc would be into running :eek:?!)
    Not from my class (also did a CS MSc) when I was in UCD anyway, got SO much stick off them about running. You're lucky :)

Not from my class (also did a CS MSc) when I was in UCD anyway, got SO much stick off them about running. You're lucky :)

I was really surprised, there's 6 that I know of (and it was only mentioned for the first time a few days ago - not even by me)!
    One of them felt the need to tag along yesterday whilst wearing his jeans & coat, he'd sprint 100m and then bend over til he caught his breath then repeat a few times til he got fed up.... pffft... nerds :p!

(who'd have thunk loads of people from a comp sci MSc would be into running :eek:?!).

Sure aren't all those computer science types nerds.... sure were in my day in college ;) Are you going to come join us on sunday captain p in the park for a run. See the group sessions thread. Flip wish i were one of those computer science nerds then i would be able to do the link thingy, knew that flaming ARTS degree was worth nothing ;)

• Advertisement

Nules10 wrote: »
    Sure aren't all those computer science types nerds.... sure were in my day in college ;) Are you going to come join us on sunday captain p in the park for a run. See the group sessions thread. Flip wish i were one of those computer science nerds then i would be able to do the link thingy, knew that flaming ARTS degree was worth nothing ;)

All runners are nerds too :p !! Our first project was to build a website, I naturally went with a running-related site... uber-nerd :D.

I'll have a look at the thread, thanks!! I'd like to join on Sunday, but I have to see how this foot goes :(.

Advertisement