Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow is the new fast...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

captain P wrote: »
    All runners are nerds too :p !! Our first project was to build a website, I naturally went with a running-related site... uber-nerd :D.

I'll have a look at the thread, thanks!! I'd like to join on Sunday, but I have to see how this foot goes :(.

Lol - yup complete nerds. We should put up a poll to see how many of us use coloured Excel plans :)

@ Nules: check this out :D

@Capt P: meet link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

shazkea wrote: »
    Lol - yup complete nerds. We should put up a poll to see how many of us use coloured Excel plans :)

@ Nules: check this out :D

Ahh FFS shaz thats way too complicated for me, sure don't i have you to come on and do it for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Usual cycle and pilates today.

Foot still quite sore but I'll try a run on it tomorrow to test it out. Would love to join the group run on Saturday but don't wanna push this foot in case, coz I wanna do the jingle bells 5k uninjured.... so I'll decide Saturday afternoon :o

Usual cycle and pilates today.

Foot still quite sore but I'll try a run on it tomorrow to test it out. Would love to join the group run on Saturday but don't wanna push this foot in case, coz I wanna do the jingle bells 5k uninjured.... so I'll decide Saturday afternoon :o

Don't worry about missing this w-end, we'll be out plenty more w-ends to come so just keep an eye on the meet thread. Hope foot clears up.

Thanks Shazkea!! Will defo keep an eye on the thread.
    Gonna keep putting the difene on the foot a few more days & hopefully that'll sort it!

• Advertisement

Plan for today was to cycle in, was finished in classes at 11 so then try a run, shower & then meet a friend for lunch and cycle home.

Due to the very heavy rain I didn't run because I didn't wanna be sitting for lunch in squishy wet runners and then cycle home too. But I cycled home after lunch - through ankle deep puddles in some parts and against the wind for a lot of it.
    As soon as I got home it stopped and the sun came out :mad:!!!!

EDIT: Just got cheered up coz I got some good news. A much needed win for me! :)

7.01km 39:48 5:41min/km

This was to test out my foot, and other than a little niggle towards the end it seems fine... yay!

Have to go to a family thing tonight, don't intend on drinking more than one beer or a glass of wine. I'll see how it goes and how I feel in the morning & decide on what to run tomorrow.

All signed up for the Jingle bells 5km :D

Proper update tomorrow but: 17km in 1:44:37, didn't want to stop but it was getting late. :)

Last night:

17km in 1:44:37 avg pace 6.11min/km

Happy with this, felt very comfortable throughout, no pain apart from some blisters (I've tried everything but keep getting them :(). Last few km were uphill as usual - but two of my fastest km were in that - overall very happy with it and surprised at how good I felt towards the end. I finished up about 21.30 - but felt I could have done another 5 km with no problems if it wasn't so late.

Next goal is to go under 25mins in the Jingle bells 5km.
    Then I'd like to be able to run at least one 25km before Christmas.

Today: usual cycle to/from UCD & pilates tonight. Cycle can be my recovery - no run - blisters are very sore, I'm pathetically limping around today!!

Tomorrow: usual cycle in, plus 7-8km run before cycling home.

• Advertisement

Last night:

17km in 1:44:37 avg pace 6.11min/km

Happy with this, felt very comfortable throughout, no pain apart from some blisters (I've tried everything but keep getting them :(). Last few km were uphill as usual - but two of my fastest km were in that - overall very happy with it and surprised at how good I felt towards the end. I finished up about 21.30 - but felt I could have done another 5 km with no problems if it wasn't so late.

Next goal is to go under 25mins in the Jingle bells 5km.
    Then I'd like to be able to run at least one 25km before Christmas.

Today: usual cycle to/from UCD & pilates tonight. Cycle can be my recovery - no run - blisters are very sore, I'm pathetically limping around today!!

Tomorrow: usual cycle in, plus 7-8km run before cycling home.

Have you tried 1000 miles socks? I haven't had a blister since I switched to them

shazkea wrote: »

Have you tried 1000 miles socks? I haven't had a blister since I switched to them

Yeah, still the same with them on too :(.

Tried talcum powder in the socks, taping the problem areas, several different sock brands, relacing my runners etc... My feet don't get very sweaty so its not that either.

It's usually under my big toe on both feet and sometimes between my toes. after bout an hour running I feel em starting or quicker if its raining.

Yeah, still the same with them on too :(.

Tried talcum powder in the socks, taping the problem areas, several different sock brands, relacing my runners etc... My feet don't get very sweaty so its not that either.

It's usually under my big toe on both feet and sometimes between my toes. after bout an hour running I feel em starting or quicker if its raining.

Oh crap, sorry but I'm all out of ideas so. Someone mentioned a new product on the Blister thread on the main forum, dunno if you checked that out but just in case you hadn't seen it?

A friend of mine wears two pairs of light socks when running longer than an hour. I have never tried it but works for her. I am having a bit of a problem myself with blisters of late so I am going to give the 1000 mile
    Socks a go. Try the doubling up on the socks and let me know how you get on. Good luck

Nules10 wrote: »
    A friend of mine wears two pairs of light socks when running longer than an hour. I have never tried it but works for her. I am having a bit of a problem myself with blisters of late so I am going to give the 1000 mile
    Socks a go. Try the doubling up on the socks and let me know how you get on. Good luck

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try :).
    Will try that anti-blister balm stuff too.... my poor feet are riddled! :rolleyes:

6km in 37.04 & usual cycle.

Physically & mentally exhausted:(. I had planned an interval session tomorrow, but we'll see...

6km in 37.04 & usual cycle.

Physically & mentally exhausted:(. I had planned an interval session tomorrow, but we'll see...

captain p you make sure you are minding yourself and that you aren't over doing it. Hope you are eating plenty and that the weight isn't still dropping off you :)

captain p you make sure you are minding yourself and that you aren't over doing it. Hope you are eating plenty and that the weight isn't still dropping off you :)

Thanks Nules!! Have been suffering from a bout of insomnia for the last while and had a decent sleep on Sunday night which seemed to make me even more tired.

Other than the cycle today, I'm taking it easy, stuffing myself with lots of food & getting an early night :)!

Usual cycle today and a run before I left UCD (well I'm still there at the moment).

10 mins warm up, 10 mins at approx 5.00min/km, 15 mins warm down. About 6km covered, will update properly later when I connect the Garmin.

EDIT: total distance 6.31km, avg pace 5:35min/km. Best pace: 4:08min/km (was on the track for about 3 laps in the fast 10 mins, this was during that).

5 mins into my run I found I was passing a Leinster rugby training session, so modified my route to run passed them again :D at the end.

**note to self, do more running at 11am on Thursdays in UCD, and try not to stare!!!:D:D**

8.03km in 46.52

Nice run. A bit warm for November though! Have to skip the group run again tomorrow, promised a friend I'd go spinning with her at 11.30 :o.

Long run on Sunday instead.

• Advertisement

Blurgh!

Spinning didn't happen in the end:(. Instead I went to Aldi and spent €25 on nuts, dried mango, dark chocolate and tins of mackerel & tuna :D!!

Then I went in to get my bike looked at, it needs a full service and new brake pads, maybe new cables too. Kinda knew it was coming, but could do without the cost :(. Waiting for the shop to ring me now to go collect it.

Probably won't run today, have a lot of college work to get through and want to do a decent long run tomorrow, so gonna rest the legs, do some stretching and eat lots!

EDIT: just picked up my bike, all fixed & better:)! Got given out to by the mechanic for not cleaning my rims often enough... I clean them every 2 weeks (well, I suppose less since moving back to my parents coz it's more awkward). S'pose I'll have to start cleaning them after every rainy day.. sigh.

21.11km in 2:15:01 avg pace 6.24min/km

That was tough, is a marathon really double that!!??:p:p

Enjoyed it, perfect day for a long run; hardly any wind, nice & dry, not too cold, not too warm. The last few km (uphill as usual) were torture, but after uploading my Garmin they were actually my fastest 3km!
    My brain went through a lot in that run. These long slow runs are an emotional roller-coaster - don't know how I'll mentally manage a marathon:(!

My legs are REALLY sore now. Did some stretching when I got back - but don't think it'll have helped much. I'll take some Nurofen tonight & in the morning. Need to harden them up more.

Can anyone advise if my cycle to/ from college tomorrow is ok instead of a recovery run, or should I try get a run in too?

I brought some dried mango with me and had some at about 50 mins in and the rest at 1:30. Stopped for a min to buy a bottle of water because my mouth was very dry at about 15km & I knew I'd need it getting back up the hill (literally only took 45 secs in the shop :rolleyes:)

Tried the double sock thing. Got light microfibre cheapy socks in Penneys & wore them under the 1000 mile socks, still got some blisters - but less of them and less painful than usual :).

21.11km in 2:15:01 avg pace 6.24min/km

My legs are REALLY sore now. Did some stretching when I got back - but don't think it'll have helped much. I'll take some Nurofen tonight & in the morning. Need to harden them up more.

well done captain p great running there. you are in cold bath territory now ;) Compression socks are great if your calves are at you.

well done captain p great running there. you are in cold bath territory now ;) Compression socks are great if your calves are at you.

Have the compression socks alrigh, but no bath in my parents house :(. Think a cold shower directed at the legs would be of any use? My hips have the worst of it.
    Its all worth it tho!

Have the compression socks alrigh, but no bath in my parents house :(. Think a cold shower directed at the legs would be of any use? My hips have the worst of it.
    Its all worth it tho!

Yeah the cold shower on the sore parts would do the trick i would imagine. I would get icing your hips too and plenty of stretching. See how you feel tomorrow for your run. Are you following a programme what days do they have as a rest day. I would usually take a rest day or cross train after a long run.

Not following a specific plan at the mo, just trying to get one lsr, one tempo/intervals & 2 or 3 easy runs a week. I'll see how the legs are after my cycle in tomorrow. Might be doing Pilates tomorrow night too; if so I'll leave the run.
    Thanks for your help Nules :D

Now to search the freezer for an ice pack!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Fair play on your long run! I would definitely cycle tomorrow. It's great for removing lactic acid from your legs.

As regards the mental challenge of a marathon, the long runs of 18-20 miles are what trains your mental strength. After having done a few of those, a half marathon will feel relatively effortless.

Boots have a great hot/cold compress pack for €7 or so. I have two of those and use them after every long run.

Fair play on your long run! I would definitely cycle tomorrow. It's great for removing lactic acid from your legs.

As regards the mental challenge of a marathon, the long runs of 18-20 miles are what trains your mental strength. After having done a few of those, a half marathon will feel relatively effortless.

Boots have a great hot/cold compress pack for €7 or so. I have two of those and use them after every long run.

Thanks Micilin, Ill hopefully be up to those 18-20 milers early in the new year.

Found an ice pack in the freezer, but the walk downstairs to get it was not fun :p.

Legs are surprisingly ok today. Will ice and stretch again tonight.

Skipping pilates this evening. Cycling to & from college was really nice today on my freshly serviced bike - didn't realise how much it needed to be fixed, my cycle was effortless today, even with sore legs :D!

Got the result of the first module of my Masters today; I got an A+ (that's what they call a good first class honours 1.1 these days :confused:). I'm absolutely delighted!!! 90.5% in my project, really wasn't expecting anything like that.

Normally I'd celebrate something like this with a few beers - but I'd actually prefer a run!! I'll leave it til tomorrow though :P.

• Advertisement

Legs are surprisingly ok today. Will ice and stretch again tonight.

Skipping pilates this evening. Cycling to & from college was really nice today on my freshly serviced bike - didn't realise how much it needed to be fixed, my cycle was effortless today, even with sore legs :D!

Got the result of the first module of my Masters today; I got an A+ (that's what they call a brilliant first class honours 1.1 these days :confused:). I'm absolutely delighted!!! 90.5% in my project, really wasn't expecting anything like that.

Normally I'd celebrate something like this with a few beers - but I'd actually prefer a run!! I'll leave it til tomorrow though :P.
    Well done captain p. I would call that a brilliant first class honours ;)

Advertisement