Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow is the new fast...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Nules10 wrote: »
    Well done captain p. I would call that a brilliant first class honours ;)

Hahaha, thanks:D:D:D!! I'm really delighted (and shocked!!!)

6.7km in 40 mins

Slow run, took it nice & handy. Bit of an IT band niggle, but some stretching, rolling & ice should sort it out.

Went down to the track in UCD today to see what was going on, couldn't believe they had started digging bits already :(. I won medals on that track as a kid & was looking forward to some good training on it. Very sad to see it go. It was in serious need of fixing up, but now it'll probably just be another car park!

IT band still quite sore, so other than my cycle its just foam rolling and icing that leg!

My good deed for the day was getting about 60 signatures (by forcing my classmates & lecturer) for the Save our Track petition from UCD AC :).

Would love a run, but don't wanna aggrevate that leg.

Leg still not better. Using the roller three times today and will ice it twice. Also using my spray difene and taking ibuprofen too.
    Maybe a bit of overkill, but I need the running to keep me sane!

No pilates tonight either, but I'll do some core work at home instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Might be an idea to go get the leg looked at captainp how long has it been at you? I would definitely suggest going to get a sports massage, should loosen it out for you. you are upping your mileage and you are doing a fair bit of cycling go treat yourself to a lovely torturous massage :)

• Advertisement

Might be an idea to go get the leg looked at captainp how long has it been at you? I would definitely suggest going to get a sports massage, should loosen it out for you. you are upping your mileage and you are doing a fair bit of cycling go treat yourself to a lovely torturous massage :)

Since my long run on Sunday, and it was sore a few months ago for a few days too.
    You're probably right about getting it looked at, but funds are very low at the mo :(. If its not better soon I'll have to go! The foam roller is torture enough, I can only imagine a sports massage!! :eek:

Off tomorrow so treating myself to a hot whiskey now, yum!

Yeah give it another while. this running can end up costing alot of money but sure its worth it :) Enjoy the hot whiskey certainly the night for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

captain P wrote: »
    Normally I'd celebrate something like this with a few beers - but I'd actually prefer a run!! I'll leave it til tomorrow though :P.

Congrats & well done P, but you really are becoming hardcore in forsaking beers for a run!

belcarra wrote: »
    Congrats & well done P, but you really are becoming hardcore in forsaking beers for a run!

I know! What have I become!!?? :p:p

So, after about 7 years of physios and doctors not taking me seriously I finally found out today what is wrong with my wrist:
    There is a ganglion cyst relating to the extensor compartment of the lunatocapitate joint which measures approximately 2cm in transverse dimension and 0.5cm in AP......
    It can be excised surgically if it is causing trouble but there is no requirement to do this. If you wish to see a plastic surgeon regarding the possibility of having it removed I would be happy to make a recommendation.....

Causing trouble? Oh, only the 7 years of daily pain and having very little use of my left wrist as a result :mad:.

I have officially decided I hate doctors.

Anyway, gonna try an easy run tonight and see how my leg is, if I have any pain I'll have to skip the group run (again) tomorrow. Next week is the Jingle bells 5km and after a disappointing result at the Rathfarnham one I wanna give it a good bash.

Some family stuff has come up last minute and I can't do tomorrow morning now :(. Was looking forward to it, but hopefully get to meet some boardsies at the jingle bells race next week!

As for tonight; well I just ate my weight in Indian takeaway and don't think Ill be able to digest it enough to get out at a reasonable hour so tonights run is cancelled too!!

Hopefully ill be able to get out tomorrow afternoon instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

He, he a hot whiskey to cure the ITB...love it :D

Haven't run since Tuesday, and it's unlikely I'll get out today. I'm starting to get grumpy!!

Last night: 10.61km 1:03:59 avg pace 6:19min/km

This started off great; planned on taking it very easy and doing 7-10km depending on how my leg felt. About 5km in I was feeling very comfortable so settled on doing the 10km.
    BUT, at about 7km my leg started to hurt (ITB). Then it just kept getting worse & worse. I needed to pee so didn't want to stop and walk so just slowed down and tried to be as gentle on the leg as possible. My whole leg tensed up so my glute, quad, hamstring and calf were all very tight :( and by the end of it I was limping home.

Rolled and iced and stretched.

Still limping around today but thankfully was not painful to cycle (just a bit uncomfortable). So, looks like I won't be running for another few days. Just gonna look after this leg & try and have it better for the jingle bells 5km on Saturday!

If it's no better after the race next week I'll have to go see a physio.

Leg is less sore today, was grand on the bike.

More ice & foam rolling tonight.

captain P wrote: »
    Leg is less sore today, was grand on the bike.

More ice & foam rolling tonight.

Same again.

Pilates tomorrow & ill try a gentle run Friday early.

you are great for the foam rolling. i hop on and hop off as quick. I just don't like inflicting pain on myself i rather pay someone to do that :D

you are great for the foam rolling. i hop on and hop off as quick. I just don't like inflicting pain on myself i rather pay someone to do that :D

Hahaha, that's the attitude :)
    It's very unpleasant! Especially along the itb. My eyes were watering with the pain earlier in the week!

So, pilates last night was grand, but my leg was a bit tender afterwards.

The plan was to do a light 20 minute run today to test it out but I woke up with a bit of a sore throat and a snuffly nose and considering the horrible weather I think I'll leave it and take my chances tomorrow.

I'll ice my leg a few times today, foam roll a few times and I'll do loads of stretching tonight and in the morning before the race.

Was really looking forward to this 5k, but now - not so much:(. A friend has offered me a lift so that I don't have to cycle but with the parking situation in Phoenix Park I'm not sure what to do!

Race number pinned on, porridge eaten.
    Trips to the toilet so far this morning: 3.
    Pre race toilet trips still to go: about 20! :P

Friend picking me up at 9.40 so I'll have loads of time for a warm up in the park. Itb feels ok at the moment, let's hope it stays that way :).

Feeling nervous about my leg, but otherwise looking forward to it!

Good luck captainp you will do great

• Advertisement

Good luck captainp you will do great

Thanks Nules! Give me a cheer if you see me, num 305 :).

I didn't stop my watch on time, but I think it said 25:05.

Was hoping for a faster time, but I'm not too disappointed considering I've only run twice in the last 2 weeks & my leg was sore.

Ran the first 2km way too slow. This was a combination of the congestion at the start (I started too far back) as well as fear that my leg was gonna go/ I was gonna get mad tired. The cold weather & wind made my breathing a bit wonky (tired me out in the 2nd km)!

Some nice negative splits:

1 5:28.9
    2 5:20.4
    3 5:03.4
    4 4:51.6
    5 4:22.8

Overall, I didn't really enjoy it :(; but that was mainly because of my leg. It's a bit sore now but didn't bother me too much during the race and I think I could've pushed a bit harder.

Very well organised race, and a very nice crowd. The route was nice (no nasty hills!) so I'll definitely be doing it again. The mug is nice - but I think I'd prefer a t-shirt!

I've learned a few lessons from this race, and won't make the same mistakes again in my next 5km. Next one has to be under 24! But I don't know when that'll be. Next race on my calendar is the Raheny 5. But I'm half thinking of the Clonliffe Christmas 5km too....

Doubt I'll be doing much celebrations tonight. Probably some college work for the afternoon, a glass of wine with my dinner and an early night.

Official chip time as per http://www.donoreharriers.com/images/_client_specific/JB%20Result%20Final%201.pdf 25:06.

I should be happy with it as it's over a minute faster than my only other 5km, but I can definitely do better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Well done Captain. Some serious negative splits there. I ran the race too and did something very similar with my last two kms way faster than the rest. Running down hill was a god send:D

Hope the leg doesn't have any reaction and you continue to improve.

well done captainp great time. I kept my eyes peeled for you but didnt spot you... you clearly zipped past me :) Might be no harm to get your leg looked at at this stage

well done captainp great time. I kept my eyes peeled for you but didnt spot you... you clearly zipped past me :) Might be no harm to get your leg looked at at this stage

Probably for the best you didn't see me, I had a right grumpy face on:p!! I also ran the whole thing without realising I had left my sunglasses on, and tried to hide behind people bigger than me to avoid the wind :o.

I think you're right about getting the leg looked at. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced sports physio somewhere between UCD and Dublin 9??

Gonna set myself some goals in the next few days for 2012.

Signed up for the Raheny 5 earlier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done Capt P, hope the leg clears up soon. Unfort I don't know anyone in the D9 area. If you're willing to travel a bit further, PM me and I'll give you some contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done on the pb! Hope the leg clears up with a bit of physio care.

Plan for tonight was 20-30 mins easy just to test out the leg before my physio appointment tomorrow.
    Did 31 mins & covered about 5.3km. Leg felt ok, just a little tight. Was hoping the run would get rid of a headache I've had all day, but no luck:(!!

<rant>
    It was very nice to be warm for the first time in nearly a week:). The colder weather is really affecting me. Got chilblains in my toes (have had it before so kind of used to it, but not in years). I had gotten used to my lovely warm apartment over the last few years (and a nice short commute) but now I'm back in my parents house and the house never really gets warm - another reason to hate my ex :mad:!! In the house I wear a vest top, 2 x longsleeve tshirt or polo necks and two hoodies... plus normal socks & two pairs fleece/slipper sock thingys, and still cold. UCD is always bloody freezing too and the 45 mins on the bike each way means I'm feckin frozen all the time. The taps on the showers I normally use in college are broken and one of them is set to cold and the other one is luke warm:mad:.
    Normally I like colder weather better but this is ridiculous. I'm writing this from my bed with my electric blanket on as well as a hot water bottle on my feet:P!

I've a load of college work to do too, even though I've been trying my best to keep up to date with it all I'm struggling with some of the hard stuff.
    Not a good week so far...
    </rant>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

You paint quite a depressingly cold existence there P!
    Sounds like someone needs xmas to arrive sooner rather than later!!

Alas, not much I can offer on that score but regards the racing stuff, have you checked out the Raheny Winter League? I did my first race there tonight and it's a really good casual vibe. Nice flat course and only €7 a race. It may be a good idea to run a few of these in order to get used to running a little quicker than 5k pace. This should allow you to get a better feel for consistent pacing and also help get you that little bit quicker too.
    The next race is the 3 miler in the second week in January (Wednesday nights).

Advertisement