Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow is the new fast...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

belcarra wrote: »
    You paint quite a depressingly cold existence there P!
    Sounds like someone needs xmas to arrive sooner rather than later!!

Alas, not much I can offer on that score but regards the racing stuff, have you checked out the Raheny Winter League? I did my first race there tonight and it's a really good casual vibe. Nice flat course and only €7 a race. It may be a good idea to run a few of these in order to get used to running a little quicker than 5k pace. This should allow you to get a better feel for consistent pacing and also help get you that little bit quicker too.
    The next race is the 3 miler in the second week in January (Wednesday nights).

The Raheny Winter League does sound interesting alright. Very tempted. I'll consider that one in January as long as my leg clears up ok. I definitely need to work on my pacing in the short runs and the speed would really help me. Cheers for that!

Can't believe I cycled all the way to UCD in that storm this morning. It was mental!! I stopped at one stage and considered turning back. But I saw a girl running in it and she inspired me to continue on :p!

Had my first physio session for the ITB. As predicted; it's typical IT band pain brought on by my weak/stiff left hip and glute. She bate the crap out of my leg for a while and gave me some strengthening exercises to do. So lots of planks and bridges and a few others plus foam rolling daily too. One more visit before Chrimbo and then maybe one in January, but that should be it. Hopefully I'll be back to some proper training very quickly:D!

My feckin leg is in bits now after that, can barely walk up the stairs hahaha:eek:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

:D you enjoyed the session then.... your legs will feel much better tomorrow. Cycling in that wind, you are crazy :) I hate cycling in any weather which is the reason i don't do it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

captain P wrote: »

My feckin leg is in bits now after that, can barely walk up the stairs hahaha:eek:!!

:D sign of a good session then!! Ice and chocolate are your best friends after a sports massage!

I used ice and had a lovely hot chocolate :D:D!! Still pretty sore today, but it's "good pain":p

Plan was 20-30 mins easy just to get the blood flowing. Did 26 mins bout 6 min/km, really enjoyed it. Lovely clear cold night, but I was well wrapped up and I could've ran for longer but I need to take it easy while fixing my leg!!

The routine the physio gave me is quite tough and my poor glutes & hips are really feeling it! Guess that's how you know it's working :rolleyes:

Felt easier running than walking! I'd say the cycle in the morning will be tough.

• Advertisement

Usual cycle yest & today, tough in the wind with my fragile legs! :p

Doing my physio and foam rolling daily (aka daily torture).

Tonight, 32mins easy slow run, covered about 5.3km.

Plan is just a few easy runs like this til after i see physio again on the 22nd. Would love to go for a long run Christmas morning :).

Last few days got nothing but study, boozing and my physio exercises done.

Hopefully get out for a run tomorrow.

I'm officially 6 months single tomorrow and I'm finally starting to feel ok about it and enjoy my new single life (started by groping up all my male college mates at our Chrimbo party the other night :D:p:eek:)! It's very tough having to live with my parents, but I'm trying to make the best of it.
    Running has really helped me get through the worst of it.

Thought it's a good time to set my running goals for 2012. I've been thinking about it lately and I'm setting some ambitious but not completely unrealistic goals:

Distance|Current PB|2012 target
    5km|25:06|21:59
    5 Mile|48:03|39:59
    10km|N/A|54:59
    10 Mile|N/A|01:29:59
    ½ Marathon|N/A|01:59:59
    Marathon| N/A| 3:59:59

5km and 5 mile should be very do-able, not sure about the others!! Don't have any 10km's in mind yet. Will think about what ones to do.

Marathon will be Dublin. I'll be happy just to finish it to be honest, but there's no harm in aiming high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Some great targets P, that 10km one needs to come down a wee bit tho :D I reckon you could knock 2 mins off it.

Best of luck with them for next year.

shazkea wrote: »
    Some great targets P, that 10km one needs to come down a wee bit tho :D I reckon you could knock 2 mins off it.

Thanks Shaz!

Not sure about the 10km though, there's something about that distance that unnerves me :o... can't quite put my finger on it.

Going to head out for an easy 30 min run in a few minutes, just to get the blood flowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

captain P wrote: »
    shazkea wrote: »

Thanks Shaz!

Not sure about the 10km though, there's something about that distance that unnerves me :o... can't quite put my finger on it.

I agree with shaz there, based on your 5k target you should definitely lower your 10k one. I'd recommend Dunshaughlin as a 10k race, great atmosphere.
    Also that is one tough 5k target!!! Best of luck with the 2012 goals.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm... you're probably right about the 10km, I'll see how the Raheny 5 goes, and re-evaluate my 10km target based off that!

Back to business!! After a very indulgent week of food and drink etc my body is not happy with me. I'm sluggish, my sinuses are clogged, my stomach is bloated and I've been popping Rennie and Motilium like there's no tomorrow:rolleyes:. I don't know how people eat and drink like that all the time!!!

I've had two 30 minute runs in the last week. One on Christmas morning :). My chrimbo run was nice because there was hardly any people to be seen, the roads were empty! I saw three other runners - gave them a nod and a "Happy Christmas" but not one of them returned the gesture :(!!

I was back with the physio on the 22nd and she reckons I won't need to see her again, and as long as I keep up my exercises and get my left leg strengthened I shouldn't have any more problems :D.

So, next up will be the Raheny 5 at the end of January. Considering I've done very little the last few weeks I'll be rebuilding slowly. But I won't be cycling as much for a few weeks which will help.

Today I'm gonna make a plan of sorts and print it & stick it on my wall to be filled in as I go along (this might not be practical depending on how good I make my plan!). Might do it as a google doc so I can access it from anywhere too.

7.22km in 43.04 avg pace 5:58min/km

Good stuff - no pain in my bad ITB and this felt quite comfortable:D.

IBS and sinuses still suffering a bit from my over indulgence the last week or so but even did my physio exercises and foam rolling (aka torture) when I got back.

Wrecked now:p!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Regarding the marathon. I had a goal of 4hrs this year and when the pacers went out of sight my heart sank. If I had set the target as finishing and enjoying it I would have probably done a 4 10 instead of 4 27 or so as mentally targets can be a bad thing for the first one. For example my best 10 mile I just ran for fun without thinking what time I would do.

rom wrote: »
    Regarding the marathon. I had a goal of 4hrs this year and when the pacers went out of sight my heart sank. If I had set the target as finishing and enjoying it I would have probably done a 4 10 instead of 4 27 or so as mentally targets can be a bad thing for the first one. For example my best 10 mile I just ran for fun without thinking what time I would do.

Thanks rom :). I'll probably assess my fitness closer to the time, and if I feel that I won't manage it in 4 I'll head out with the 4.15 or 4.30 pacers and see how it goes. I genuinely will just be delighted to finish it.

8.02km in 46.20 avg pace 5:50min/km

Planned a tempo run of 10 mins warm up, 15-20 mins at 5.10min/km(ish) and 15 mins warm down... but the pizza I had last night, and the chinese food from earlier today had other plans :p!!
    Nothing too dramatic thankfully, my stomach was very bloated and I got a stitch early on. Also dreadful heartburn!

Still was an ok run in the end, threw in a few strides here and there instead. ITB a bit tender so tortured myself on the foam roller for a while.

EDIT: Just realised that was my last run of the year. Good riddance 2011, you were ****e.

2012, I am gonna kick your ass!!

Plan was LSR, approx 12km, didn't wanna push it too much to mind my leg.
    Started well, windy but dry and bright out so was expecting a nice pleasant new years day run.
    My ITB started to niggle a little after about 5 mins, but it eased off after another few so I kept running. The physio had told me to be aware of my left (bad) leg while running to make sure it's working right (ie, use my left glute).
    I ran down to the wooden bridge at Bull Island and turned around and started running back, this was about 6km in. That's when the clouds turned black and the wind was in my face. My ITB started hurting, and this time it didn't stop. I slowed down and tried to change my stride a bit to see if that would help, no such luck though.
    Then the rain came. Horizontal icy rain. I swear it took a layer of skin off my face, arms and shins :mad:!!!

The rain eventually eased off, but the pain didn't and I still had about 2km uphill to go. This was not fun, but I kept going because I knew if I stopped I wouldn't be able to start again.

I was glad to get home and see my 20 month yr old niece waving at me from the front door :).

Awful run.

EDIT: My leg feels grand now, just a bit stiff - thought I was gonna be limping for days.

12.11km in 1:12:36 avg pace 6.00min/km

Got 300m up the road and had to turn back. IT band too painful :mad:.

Looks like I'll have at least a few days of ice, painkillers and foam rolling. Don't think my leg is even able for trying my strengthening exercises from the physio :(.

I was real excited about starting this year with loads of running and getting a few weeks of good prep for the Raheny 5.

It's my birthday tomorrow and I was gonna surprise my legs with an interval session as a treat :o, now I can't do that. I have exams on Thursday & Friday so I can't even go out for a few drinks either!

2012, you better improve soon:mad::mad:!!!!!!

Still limping around :(.

Pretty much have spent my birthday studying and icing my leg!
    Just finished my physio routine and a few extra core exercises thrown in as well as my foam rolling.

Probably won't be able to run for a week at least I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

That's really awful so soon into the new year. Just take it easy and rest.

• Advertisement

Mind yourself p. Concentrate on the exams for now and worry about running when they are out of the way. Good luck in the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Hi,

Just read alot of your blog, fair play to you..I'm impressed..

I'm not a runner but I've started this week..I'm more use to 100+km cycling tours, running is a different story...

But keep up the good work, I enjoy reading your updates..

BTW Happy Birthday.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sorry to read you are in bother, but better that you get it sorted now, rather than push it, and end up sidelined for weeks. Plus, this current weather is crap for running in, so see the positive in your enforced rest ;)

Belated Happy Birthday, and best of luck with the exams tomorrow, and your goals for 2012.

RubyK wrote: »
    Sorry to read you are in bother, but better that you get it sorted now, rather than push it, and end up sidelined for weeks. Plus, this current weather is crap for running in, so see the positive in your enforced rest ;)

Yeah, don't wanna get blown away :eek: :p!!

Not limping, but still sore.

Cycled to & from college, nearly got blown over! Did a core session with my physio stuff and foam rolling when i got home. Really hope this leg clears up soon. The bike doesn't seem to aggrevate it but I'm nervous to do anything more than my commute, in case.

Todays exam went great, one tomorrow then beer time!! :-P

Oh, and I've gained 3kg in about 3 weeks!

Just a quick update as I've been missing from boards for about 10 days or so now. Have been purposely staying away coz I'm jealous of reading about everyone else running when I can't!! My leg is still not 100%, haven't ran on it, want test it out in the next few days, not sure the Raheny 5 is gonna happen for me though :(.

Due to some family stuff, a toothache (dentist appointmentin about an hour :eek:) and a cold I can feel coming on; I'm not sure I'll be able to run this week either. :mad:

Ok, so last week I tried a run, got 10 mins down the road & had to turn back, leg was very sore.

Tried again today and did 5km in 28 mins (avg pace 5.40min/km - a bit too fast for getting back into it, but I didn't even notice when I was out there because I was so delighted to be running - makes me feel less insane :rolleyes:). The last 8-10 mins was very sore on the bad leg, but I slowed down and once I got home and showered etc the pain had eased off. Foam rolled and icing it now. Feels like this ITBS is never gonna go away :(.

The Raheny 5 at the weekend is looking very unlikely at this stage. Even if I don't run I'll probably go along to shout support and take a few piccies.

It's very frustrating because the rest of my body really really wants to run, and feels great. No other niggles or stiffness anywhere. Was back to pilates last week, after about 5 weeks off, and it was like I never left.

My 1000 miles target for the year hasn't gotten off to a great start: 987 miles to go!!

--
    EDIT: Oh, and to update on college, I have 3 modules finished and I have 2 A+'s and one A- (so a 1.1 average so far :). DELIGHTED doesn't even cut it.

Well done on the grades p. Great work. Have you gone back to your physio about your leg? Are you still cycling to college at least that will keep your fitness levels up. Hope the leg improves for the lovely spring weather that's around the corner ;)

Nules10 wrote: »
    Well done on the grades p. Great work. Have you gone back to your physio about your leg? Are you still cycling to college at least that will keep your fitness levels up. Hope the leg improves for the lovely spring weather that's around the corner ;)

Thanks Nules.
    I emailed the physio today for some advice, she'll probably tell me to go in for an appointment.. I was limping all day today, any weight on my leg at all hurt!
    I'm still cycling, so hopefully won't lose too much of my fitness and I've signed up for the RAS UCD 5k which I don't wanna miss!

• Advertisement

So, been back in touch with the physio and they reckon I did too much too soon so I've basically set myself back further. I'm still achy and my physio exercises hurt so I need to give it another couple of days before doing anything :(.

Been told to do no more than 10-15 minutes of running in a session, and to take at least one (but maybe 2) days off in-between until I start to improve.

I'm scheduled in for surgery to get my wrist fixed at the start of March. Which will probably mean no cycling for 4-6 weeks, and I can't see myself running much for the first few weeks of that either.

I'll be doing the RAS UCD 5km regardless :rolleyes:.

Not a great start to my planned "2012 year of super-fitness" and it's very very frustrating, but nearly everything else is going well for me, for once!

Advertisement