Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclubs while pregnant?

Options
  • 29-06-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine is expecting a baby at the end of September. She is insisting of making the most of her time before the baby arrives, which is of course understandable in ways. But the thing is, she is still coming on nights out with our group of friends every couple of weeks. Of course, we love spending time with her, but we all worry about her in the pubs and nightclubs, that someone might knock into her and hurt her or the baby. She doesn't drink, or smoke, and she's generally happy to stay sitting down for a good part of the night. And her husband and family encourage her to go out as much as possible while she can. She's not a careless person, apart from this one issue she's doing everything right when it comes to the pregnancy. We've suggested nights in at home, or going for a meal, instead of going out - but she insists on a "proper" night out. I guess what I'm wondering is, is it normal enough to keep going out throughout your pregnancy - are we just being overprotective? And, apart from the risk of someone knocking into her, is there any other danger I should make her aware of - e.g. could the loud music damage the baby somehow? Thanks.

Comments

I think it's absolutely brilliant that your friend is still going out :)
    There may be a slightly increased risk of someone bumping into her, but she will have her wits about her being sober. Walking down grafton street on a saturday afternoon would carry similar risks.

I think you should leave your friend to do as she pleases, she's happy, her husband is happy, and that's all that matters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

ah for god sake let your friend have her fun. I still went out with my friends when I was pregnant, it was great fun not the same when drinking but only so many night you can sit in and especially when you have a baby its harder to get out. She sounds very sensible sitting down so only real problem would be when going to toilet, so even if you's felt better for walking in front of her when she goes to toilet she'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

ah for god sake let your friend have her fun. I still went out with my friends when I was pregnant, it was great fun not the same when drinking but only so many night you can sit in and especially when you have a baby its harder to get out. She sounds very sensible sitting down so only real problem would be when going to toilet, so even if you's felt better for walking in front of her when she goes to toilet she'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here again,
    Ah that's grand so, we'll keep enjoying our nights out. :) Sorry if it was a stupid question - she's the first in our "group" to get pregnant, and the rest of us are a bit clueless about the whole thing! :o Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I'm going to a music festival in July when I'll be coming up to 28 weeks. Can't wait, as don't know when I'll next get to one.
    I am bringing a camping chair, as I couldn't be standing or sitting on the ground for the weekend, but all the same, a lot of people think I'm mad. Should be an older crowd, so hoping it'll be a quite relaxed atmosphere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Not exactly the same, but I went tent camping when I was 6 months preg.

If it makes your friend happy, and she's sensible (which is sounds like she is) then I wouldn't think there's a harm in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

If shes feeling up for it, then its great!! Good for her

I went to a friends hen there a while ago (was 5 months pregnant) and the baby was moving like mental to the music.. seemed to be dancing in my tummy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I was 3 days overdue when I went to see Metallica in 2009! As long as you don't sit right next to massive speakers (not healthy for anyone) and watch out for drunken idiots (also good advice for anyone), I don't see an issue with going out when pregnant. Maybe don't do a Sharon Curley from The Snapper on it and drink so much that it mixes in with morning sickness and you end up puking in your handbag. Not classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

im pregnant and still go out i don't go to night clubs because i'm afraid of being knocked but apart from that i think it's fine to want to enjoy last few months before sleepless nights etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I went to Take That two weeks ago...pitch standing tickets :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'd love to have the energy to go out clubbing of a weekend :D once she's not falling about drunk there's no reason not to, and the fluid around the baby protects it from very loud noise. . nowhere is smoky anymore so i wouldn't have a problem. . ;)

Advertisement