Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

*tumbleweed

Yep, thats some goal post move.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nodin wrote: »
    *tumbleweed

I don't think it's a goal post move if the keeper leaves the pitch instead

Penn wrote: »
    I don't think it's a goal post move if the keeper leaves the pitch instead

...and takes up handball. Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Senator Marco Rubio on the Age of the Earth: ‘I’m Not Sure We’ll Ever Be Able to Answer That’
    GQ: How old do you think the Earth is?
    Marco Rubio: I’m not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that’s a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I’m not a scientist. I don’t think I’m qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to answer that. It’s one of the great mysteries.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/11/19/senator-marco-rubio-on-the-age-of-the-earth-im-not-sure-well-ever-be-able-to-answer-that/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Disabled Kids = Punishment for Abortion.

Republicans have somehow managed to find a way to actually sink lower.
    Failed Republican Senate candidate and Virginia Republican delegate Bob Marshall says that disabled children are God's punishment for having an abortion.

This reminds me of when Glenn Hoddle caused a furore when he asserted that disabled people were paying for their sins in a past life. Not bad enough being confined to a wheelchair, for example, but to find out that you've apparently been some sort of sinner in your past life? What sort of sins warrant god-given disability? Why am I even asking?

Glenn 'oddle did later apologise, for whatever reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,847 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I HATE those 'I said what I really think but people didn't like it, so now I'm going to pretend I'm sorry and that it's not what I really think' fake apologies.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Disabled Kids = Punishment for Abortion.

Republicans have somehow managed to find a way to actually sink lower.

This reminds me of when Glenn Hoddle caused a furore when he asserted that disabled people were paying for their sins in a past life. Not bad enough being confined to a wheelchair, for example, but to find out that you've apparently been some sort of sinner in your past life? What sort of sins warrant god-given disability? Why am I even asking?

.....didn't some woman a priest brought in to speak from the pulpit say the same about her own child?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

ninja900 wrote: »
    I HATE those 'I said what I really think but people didn't like it, so now I'm going to pretend I'm sorry and that it's not what I really think' fake apologies.
    My favourite one ever:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/02/getting-on-with-james-urbaniak-non-apologizes_n_1933162.html
    (Note, it's the audio link, not the video.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Bob Marshall...
    ..what a d!ck

nothing further to add

pauldla wrote: »

Blame the electorate. It's obvious that Rubio is pandering to those who hold a creationist viewpoint, all the while trying not to distance himself from those who subscribe to scientific theories regarding the age of the universe; he's attempting to hedge his bets and not isolate himself from either side of the great divide. Is this a nice attribute in a politician? Of course not, but, unfortunately, it seems to be a necessary one, because without it getting elected becomes far more difficult. Focus groups hold sway, and whatever they say is whatever a politician, especially a U.S. politician, believes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

*tumbleweed

My original question is still outstanding. There is NO clear evidence that the GOP was trying to go to war with Iran. Banging some jingoistic drum != evidence.

Anyway, carry on...:rolleyes:

jank wrote: »
    My original question is still outstanding. There is NO clear evidence that the GOP was trying to go to war with Iran. Banging some jingoistic drum != evidence.

Anyway, carry on...:rolleyes:

'....behold, he did return from his time in the desert, and his movement of the goal posts was seen both far and wide.'

I never stated that the Republican party was trying to go to war with Iran. I said
    Unfortunately theres a strong lobby for war with Iran, and its best represented within Republican ranks.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81631160&postcount=914

You still didn't read all the links either.

'....behold, he did return from his time in the desert, and his movement of the goal posts was seen both far and wide.'

I never stated that the Republican party was trying to go to war with Iran. I said

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81631160&postcount=914

You still didn't read all the links either.

As me mammy used to say, and still does on occasion when I wake at an 'ungodly hour' of a Sunday: "Aahh, the dead arose and appeared to many."

I just pat her on the head. Silly mammy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

From many places:
    Fair Trade
    Dear Red States:

We're ticked off at your Neanderthal attitudes and politics and we've decided we're leaving: "legitimate rape" is almost reason enough! Those of us in New York intend to form our own country and we're taking the other Blue States with us. In case you aren't aware, that includes California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and the rest of the Northeast.

We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation and especially to the people of the new country of The Enlightened States of America (E.S.A).

To sum up briefly:

You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states.

We get stem cell research and the best beaches.

We get Andrew Cuomo and Elizabeth Warren. You get Bobby Jindal and Todd Akin.

We get the Statue of Liberty. You get Opry Land.

We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom.

We get Harvard. You get Ole' Miss.

We get 85 percent of America's venture capital and entrepreneurs. You get Alabama.

We get 2/3 of the tax revenue. You get to make the red states pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian Coalition's we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single moms.

Please be aware that the E.S.A. will be pro-choice and anti-war and we're going to want all our citizens back from Afghanistan at once. If you need people to fight, ask your evangelicals. They have kids they're apparently willing to send to their deaths for no purpose and they don't care if you don't show pictures of their children's caskets coming home. We wish you success in Afghanistan, and possibly Iran as well, but we're not willing to spend our resources in these sorts of pursuits.

With the Blue States in hand we will have firm control of 80% of the country's fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92% of the nation's fresh fruit, 95% of America's quality wines (you can serve French wines at state dinners) 90% of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the US low sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools plus Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT.

With the Red States you will have to cope with 88% of all obese Americans and their projected health care costs, 92% of all US mosquitoes, nearly 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes, 99% of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.

38% of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62% believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 44% say that evolution is only a theory, 53% that Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61% of you crazy bastards believe you are people with higher morals then we lefties.

We're taking the good weed too. You can have that crap they grow in Mexico.

Sincerely,

Citizens of the Enlightened States of America

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

90% of the pineapples? Paradise! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Galvasean wrote: »

The red states have monopolies on bananas, nuts and marbles, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Just as well they fit so neatly into the human, um, hand. God's chosen fruit should go to God's chosen people.

"Christianity is not a religion, it's a philosophy." Bill O'Reilly.

I'd say there's Fox 'news' viewers in tears. Sobbing uncontrollably.

This clip sums it up perfectly. :):)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

"Christianity is not a religion, it's a philosophy." Bill O'Reilly.

Are that American Atheists crowd trying to get Christmas trees removed from public squares? WTF. Are they trying to seem like assholes? He even alludes to the fact that the tree is an old pagan symbol - so surely that should be a bonus.

If this was about huge nativity sets with an animatronic Jesus then I can see why they'd complain... but trees with baubles?

What am I missing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Bill also claims to not be a wiseguy. Glad he cleared that up.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    If this was about huge nativity sets with an animatronic Jesus [...]
    Now, there's an idea!

230877.jpg

Dades wrote: »
    Are that American Atheists crowd trying to get Christmas trees removed from public squares? WTF. Are they trying to seem like assholes? He even alludes to the fact that the tree is an old pagan symbol - so surely that should be a bonus.

If this was about huge nativity sets with an animatronic Jesus then I can see why they'd complain... but trees with baubles?

What am I missing here?

Of all the problems and ignorance associated with religion in America, especially in politics, remember the US presidential hopefuls: Bachmann, Gingrich, Santorum and Romney, not to mention Mourdock and Akin's views on rape, why go after christmas trees?

It's hard to take his side, even for Atheists, which I suspect is why Fox were only too happy to allow him air-time to speak on behalf of American Atheists. (I don't think there's many Atheists worried about christmas trees).

Bill O'Reilly's "christianity is a philosophy, not a religion" was trumped yesterday when:
    "Televangelist Pat Robertson challenged the idea that Earth is 6,000 years old this week, saying the man who many credit with conceiving the idea, former Archbishop of Ireland James Ussher, "wasn't inspired by the Lord when he said that it all took 6,000 years."

Which then provoked a response from a troubled Ken Ham:

grwgi.jpg

Interesting times.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Galvasean wrote: »

Long as they stay away from the pizzas.

Senate Republicans reach new low in rejecting UN treaty on rights of disabled. :eek:
    Even China and Russia have done what 38 Senate Republicans, led by Mitch McConnell, refuse to do: ratify a UN treaty on the rights of the disabled. Treaty ratification requires a two-thirds majority vote, this one failed 61-38.

The treaty, already signed by 155 nations and ratified by 126 countries, including Britain, France, Germany, China and Russia, states that nations should strive to assure that the disabled enjoy the same rights and fundamental freedoms as their fellow citizens. Republicans objected to taking up a treaty during the lame-duck session of the Congress and warned that the treaty could pose a threat to U.S. national sovereignty.

“Today’s vote wasn’t about Republicans or Democrats. It was about standing up for our heroes – men and women who risked their lives on the battlefield for the United States of America. This treaty was about 57 million Americans who live with a disability.

Right-wing, religious conservatives in an amazing display of selfishness. I'd like to ask some of those supposed god-fearing-men; "what would jesus do, eh?"

And yet, they say that without god, we can not have morals?

My dad was asking me a few weeks ago, if it was 'Dickie' Dawkins or Hitchens who turned me to Atheism. I told him that it was catholics and christians that helped me see the church for the sham that it is. Just like the religious criminals above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't think we have ratified it, either, though I may be confused with some other UN disability issue...

Right-wing, religious conservatives in an amazing display of selfishness. I'd like to ask some of those supposed god-fearing-men; "what would jesus do, eh?"
    Bomb them, I suppose.

In saying that a rape victim's sexual assault was only "technical" because the female body "shuts down" when attacked, an Orange County judge admonished by a state agency expressed a scientifically discredited viewpoint that recently sank the campaign of a U.S. Senate candidate.

During a 2008 sentencing, Superior Court Judge Derek G. Johnson said the matter of a man convicted of raping his former live-in girlfriend -– after threatening to mutilate her with a heated screwdriver -– was not "a real, live criminal case."

"I'm not a gynecologist, but I can tell you something. If someone doesn't want to have sexual intercourse, the body shuts down," the judge said, according to documents released Thursday by the state Commission on Judicial Performance. "The body will not permit that to happen unless a lot of damage is inflicted, and we heard nothing about that in this case."
    The state panel said Johnson's remarks breached judicial ethics and flew in the face of California law, which does not require proof that a rape victim tried to resist an attack. Johnson apologized to the commission and remains on the bench.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/12/orange-county-judge-rape-remarks-todd-akin.html

Is it in the water now....?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/01/25/arizona-republicans-propose-bill-that-would-not-allow-atheists-to-graduate-high-school/

Want to graduate high school in America? Get yourself swearing an oath, specifically to a Christian god! Although given the religious monopoly on schools here, one wonders which system is crazier.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

lazygal wrote: »
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/01/25/arizona-republicans-propose-bill-that-would-not-allow-atheists-to-graduate-high-school/

Want to graduate high school in America? Get yourself swearing an oath, specifically to a Christian god! Although given the religious monopoly on schools here, one wonders which system is crazier.......

Sounds just like what Jess would want.

Wait it, actually it is exactly what he would want.

Advertisement