Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Boehner's pulling out.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34355043
    BBC wrote:
    The man John Boehner once called a "jackass" took the stage at the Values Voter Summit just about an hour after news that the House speaker was resigning from office. Although Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz may have been inclined to dance on the speaker's political grave, he made reference to the surprising news only in passing.

"You want to know how much each of you terrify Washington?" Mr Cruz asked the audience of grassroots evangelical conservative at this annual conference. "Yesterday, John Boehner was Speaker of the House. Y'all come to town and somehow that changes. My only request," he quipped, "is, can you come more often?"

Mr Cruz has clashed repeatedly with his party's congressional leadership over the past several years, as he's advocated a more confrontational approach to negotiations with Democrats over budget matters, healthcare reform and, most recently, terminating funding for Planned Parenthood. After his speech today, Mr Cruz expressed concern that Mr Boehner may be ending his tenure with one more effort at negotiation with Democrats.

"If it is correct that the speaker, before he resigns, has cut a deal with Nancy Pelosi to fund the Obama administration for the rest of its tenure, to fund Obamacare, to fund executive amnesty, to fund Planned Parenthood, to fund implementation of this Iran deal - and then, presumably, to land in a cushy K Street job after joining with the Democrats to implement all of President Obama's priorities, that is not the behaviour one would expect of a Republican speaker of the House," he said.

Two years ago the Texas senator broke with congressional tradition and angered his party's leadership when he led members of the House of Representatives in a backbench revolt that shut down the federal government over Obamacare funding. When asked about Mr Cruz's presidential candidacy, Mr Boehner replied with an obscene gesture.

"If you're looking for someone to go to Washington to go along to get along - to agree with the career politicians in both parties who get in bed with the lobbyists of special interests, then I ain't your guy," Mr Cruz said during the first Republican presidential debate in August. Now Boehner is gone, and it seems Mr Cruz's brand of high-stakes brinkmanship is gaining favour in the US capital. While the senator himself didn't take credit for the change, Oklahoma Congressman Jim Bridenstine - who introduced Cruz at the Washington event - wasn't so demur.

"We're going to get new leadership in the House of Representative," he said. "It's happening because there's a newly elected senator that showed up and started articulating principles that were consistent with the Republican platform." He added that the Boehner-led establishment fought the Texas senator for his perceived transgressions. It seems, however, that there's going to be a new sheriff in town.

A Jerry Brown of California (D-CA) pwns a Dr Carson (Republican Presidential Fruitcake):

https://twitter.com/GovPressOffice/status/642097377898135552

364034.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

robindch wrote: »

....as a good catholic, tis his duty

The Beeb takes a religious look at the Republican lineup. Has a nice scorecard at the end of the page for use from now until the RNC next year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34365974

Judson "Jud" McMillin, a prominent member of the Indiana House of Representatives has resigned in disgrace after a video of him emerged in which he was engaged in practices generlly understood to be incompatible with his status as a married man. Right up to the point of his resignation anyway, Mr McMillin was a well-known "family values" campaigner.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/30/indiana-rep-jud-mcmillin-resigns-after-sex-video-emerges/73070300/
    http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/29/state-rep-jud-mcmillin-resigns/73040942/

In hsi resignation note, he said that he had "decided the time is right for me to pass the torch and spend more time with my family".

Mr McMillin, it hardly needs to be said, is a member of the Republican party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Slightly off topic, but I feel that there's always room to squeeze in some of the GOP's Lord and Saviour (Ronald Reagan).

Nancy Does Crack. :D

Taken from here:
    In 1988, teacher and filmmaker Cliff Roth got his hands on the famous “Just Say No” anti-drugs speech by the Reagans, dating back to September 1986, courtesy of a student who worked at ABC News. He then spent almost two years painstakingly matching the film up to an audio reel that his students had created.

This short 16mm film was originally released on VHS in 1988, just before the presidential election, and in the early 1990s it was screened on cable-TV and at many festivals in the U.S. and around the world.

And then there was the US Senate candidate who admitted that he sacrificed a goat and drank its blood.

Mr Augustus Sol Invictus is running for the Libertarian Party.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34450057

And The Donald was prayed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

And The Donald was prayed at.

And lo his wig rose from the dead and laid waste to all who beheld it's lacquered gaze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Saw on Lamebook: 'Donald Trump looks like the villain in a movie where the hero is a dog'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Just in case anyone thought that the Donald was the only insane candidate Ben Carson suggested that gun control was partly to blame for the holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Which Republicans are not insane?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

And then there was the US Senate candidate who admitted that he sacrificed a goat and drank its blood.

Mr Augustus Sol Invictus is running for the Libertarian Party.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34450057

I hate to engage in whataboutery but don't understand why the guy is getting so much crap over this (especially considering his other far more scary right wing ideas - look it up!). Is it really that much worse than what devout Catholics believe happens during the Eucharist? So long as the goat was killed humanely I'd have no major issues with it, despite the nuttiness of the beliefs surrounding the act.

They 'believe' it happens, but at the same time they know it's not real...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

They 'believe' it happens, but at the same time they know it's not real...

Have you patented the mind-reading technology you've invented? Could be worth a few bob. Alternatively have you ever considered the possibility that despite us being in 2015 a lot of people, including Catholics do genuinely believe in pretty far out stuff? Sure some people play along with it just for a nice excuse to wear a snazzy hat on Sundays but not all of them.

If they really do believe in the demonstrably false and physically impossible, they're either more credulous or more stupid than I'm willing to give them credit for.

I am going for the more plausible explanation, but if you can demonstrate a less plausible one be my guest

If they really do believe in the demonstrably false and physically impossible, they're either more credulous or more stupid than I'm willing to give them credit for.

I am going for the more plausible explanation, but if you can demonstrate a less plausible one be my guest

If you're using plausibility as your yardstick then you really don't understand the draw of religion for many people. Sadly it is quite plausible that millions of people subscribe to irrational beliefs, which they have managed to convince themselves are plausible too. It may be comforting to believe that everyone in the world secretly shares your framework of understanding & simply goes along with older beliefs out of a sense of social decorum, community cohesion or whatever but such pressures can only go so far. In some Catholic communities for instance people nail (yes actual nails!) themselves to crosses to commemorate Good Friday. At another extreme people have been convinced that strapping explosives to themselves will instantly give them access to 72 virgins. Such acts go beyond what mere playing along would accomplish. The reality is that the human mind has the capacity to convince itself of all manner of irrational nonsense & we dismiss/ignore this capability at our peril.

From an analysis of Facebook postings, it seems that Trump's supporters, and Republican supporters in general, are significantly less able to write English than Democrat supporters:

http://distractify.com/news/2015/10/07/deborahgross-please-proofread-before-you-post-1393020901

365439.jpg

To be fair, Ben Carson (currently doing quite well in polls) isn't too far behind the Democrat field, while Carly Fiorina's (who many commentators reckoned was one of the best performers in the Fox Republican televised debate) supporters are on a par with the frontrunner Hillary. Also interesting to see how much better educated (in a narrow sense admittedly) Bernie's followers are than her's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Can't say I relish the idea of Hillary as Prez. Liberal on social policy but there's a certain glint in her eye I don't like the look of, nor do I like her tone on US foreign policy.

• Advertisement

Her social policies are merely whatever the polls (& only overwhelmingly decisive ones at that) tell her they should be. No real imagination of her own. It's not too many years ago that she was speaking of how marriage was "a sacred bond between a man & a woman". To hear her talk now you'd think she came out of the womb waving the flag for marriage equality.

Opel Covey, a mayoral candidate in Ohio, threatens the wrath of god if the town doesn't elect her.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2015/10/toledo-mayoral-candidate-speaks-in-tongues-promises-great-destruction-if-not-elected/

Includes speaking-in-tongues goodness from 1:40 onwards in the video clip here:

http://nbc24.com/news/local/meet-the-mayoral-hopefuls-opal-covey

Ms Covey claims she's a 'prophetess' and has that she's running as a Republican.

Has any candidate ever been expelled from that party for being too loony? Is that even possible?

Has any candidate ever been expelled from that party for being too loony? Is that even possible?

By "being too loony" presumably you mean "loving God & America too much". For certain sections of the electorate the more wacky a candidate is perceived as being by people outside their political mindset the more attractive he/she is.

Got to come a point though where an even greater number are put off. I don't really think we'll see speaking in tongues during a presidential debate, but you never know...

Ben Carson opposes abortion for rape victims while comparing them to ‘slave owners’
    Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson said on Sunday that believes Roe v. Wade should be overturned, and that women should not be allowed to have abortions even in the case of rape or incest.

“The mother should not believe that the baby is her enemy and should not be looking to terminate the baby,” Carson opined to NBC host Chuck Todd. “We’ve allowed purveyors of division to think that baby is their enemy and they have a right to kill it. Can you see how perverted that line of thinking is?”

“Think about this. During slavery — and I know that one of those words you’re not supposed to say — but I’m saying it,” Carson said. “During slavery, a lot of the slave owners thought they had the right to do whatever they wanted to that slave, anything that they chose to do. And what if the abolitionists had said, ‘You know, I don’t believe in slavery, I think it’s wrong. But you guys do whatever you want to do.’ Where would we be?”

"Isn't it ironic, don't you think?
    It's like a brain surgeon,
    who can't use his brain."

Ben Carson has been called a stupid smart person. I believe that his main cause, is to single handedly remove the phrase 'it's not brain surgery' from our vocabulary. And a just cause it is. (his rice isn't bad either).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

American political parties are not membership-based organisations. The Republican Party and the Democratic Party are rather loose federations of local clubs, societies and committees, many of which themselves have no formal membership structure. Think of American political parties as movements, rather than formal membership structures. You become a Republican or a Democrat simply by thinking of yourself as such and, in some states, by registering (with the State, not the party) as such in order to get a vote in the primary elections.

So, no, you generally can't be expelled from the party, because you're not really a member to begin with.

This was highlighted a few years back when a guy called David Duke, an out-and-out neonazi racist, repeatedly sought, and occasionally won in primary elections, the Republican nomination to various offices in Louisiana. Both the Republic national leadership and the local Republican leadership were appalled, but there was nothing they could do about it, beyond in some instances urging a vote for the Democratic candidate.

Ben Carson’s latest surge in the polls pushes GOP race from comedy to full-blown ’Idiocracy’
    A CBS/ New York Times poll released on Tuesday found former surgeon and fetal tissue researcher Ben Carson pulling four points ahead of Donald Trump in the national race for the Republican presidential nomination.

By any reasonable standard, Carson is nuts. But that appears to be a feature rather than a bug with Republican primary voters. A poll of Iowa Republicans released by Bloomberg News and the Des Moines Register last week found that 81 percent thought that his statement that Obamacare was the worst thing since slavery — worse than the ebola, New Coke and even the Holocaust! — made him more “attractive” in their eyes. Seventy-one percent said the same of his attributing Hitler’s success to gun control.

Obamacare is literally worse than Hitler.

1280-800x430.jpg

Carson's got what GOP voters crave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Ben Carson’s latest surge in the polls pushes GOP race from comedy to full-blown ’Idiocracy’

Obamacare is literally worse than Hitler.

1280-800x430.jpg

I fcuking love that movie.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Electrolytes?

Advertisement