Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Carson's got what GOP voters crave.
    Electrolytes?
    The ability to sell low-end fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,796 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Still easily defeated by a belt buckle.

If there was any doubt in your mind about Ben Carson's wisdom, let ye now cast that doubt from your minds:

https://twitter.com/RealBenCarson/status/659777986854559744
    Ben Carson wrote:
    It is important to remember that amateurs built the Ark and it was the professionals that built the Titanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yeah, well the ark took a hundred years to build...

Willing to accept that the Ark existed, but says there's not enough proof to show humans are affecting Climate Change...

Tells people if faced with a gunman they should rush him...

When faced by a gunman in real life, he told the gunman to see the cashier behind the counter...

This happened in a popeyes, which sells virtually nothing but chicken...

And he is a vegetarian...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

How can a neurosurgeon be this stupid? This has to be some ultimate Poe windup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

How can a neurosurgeon be this stupid? This has to be some ultimate Poe windup.

It happens. There are some people who in the field of their particular expertise are extremely intelligent or even geniuses but step outside that area & they're completely lost & vulnerable to dodgy ideas & claims. The sad case of Paul Frampton is a good example of this. Another would of course be the beleaguered scientist & educator Richard Dawkins. Great at writing accessibly & speaking about evolution & many other matters but arguably less competent than your average 15 year old meth-head at using social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Overheal wrote: »

I'm divided as to that being more worrying or less so than Trump being in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm divided as to that being more worrying or less so than Trump being in front.
    Well, I'm more of a glass-half-full person, myself. I'm divided as that being more entertaining or less so than Trump being in front.

• Advertisement

A few weeks back, Ben Carson went the Full Ken - creationism is Satanic and the Big Bang is a fairy tale and both come from "highfalutin scientists".

This from somebody who once had permission to poke around with knives inside poeples' brains.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ben-carson-big-bang-a-fairy-tale-theory-of-evolution-encoura
    Ben Carson wrote:
    I find the big bang, really quite fascinating. I mean, here you have all these highfalutin scientists and they’re saying it was this gigantic explosion and everything came into perfect order. Now these are the same scientists that go around touting the second law of thermodynamics, which is entropy, which says that things move toward a state of disorganization. So now you’re gonna have this big explosion and everything becomes perfectly organized and when you ask them about it they say, ‘Well we can explain this, based on probability theory because if there’s enough big explosions, over a long period of time, billions and billions of years, one of them will be the perfect explosion [...] So I say what you’re telling me is if I blow a hurricane through a junkyard enough times over billions and billions of years, eventually after one of those hurricanes there will be a 747 fully loaded and ready to fly.

Well, I mean, it’s even more ridiculous than that ‘cause our solar system, not to mention the universe outside of that, is extraordinarily well organized, to the point where we can predict 70 years away when a comet is coming. [...] Now that type of organization to just come out of an explosion? I mean, you want to talk about fairy tales, that is amazing.

I personally believe that this theory that Darwin came up with was something that was encouraged by the adversary, and it has become what is scientifically, politically correct [...]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That "highfalutin" phrase thrown in there is very telling, nobody actually uses that word anymore except for parodies, its clearly a speechwriter who knows what the target morons crave, denying electricity exists or whatever Ben will be up to by the time the election comes around is no different from Bush buying a ranch and a cowboy hat before the election and selling it off the minute he was out of office.

I hope we get Trump purely for the entertainment value and to actually see him in action in the unlikely event he wins, watching Carson lose will just be boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Nodin wrote: »

Anyone has to be safer than Trump. He makes Putin look sane. Imagine both of them, fingers on the button, playing a game of chicken. We'll all be on valium!

feargale wrote: »
    We'll all be on valium!
    Though, given the likely outcome of a Putin vs Trump world, it's likely we'd not be on it for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Ben Carson stands over 1998 claim that Egyptian pyramids were built by biblical Joseph as grain stores
    In his 1998 address, Carson elaborated: “And when you look at the way that the pyramids are made, with many chambers that are hermetically sealed, they’d have to be that way for various reasons.

“And various of scientists have said, ‘Well, you know there were alien beings that came down and they have special knowledge and that’s how, you know, it doesn’t require an alien being when God is with you’.”

In the old testament book of Genesis, Joseph, one of the 12 sons of Jacob, was said to have “stored up grain in great abundance like the sand of the sea, until he stopped measuring it, for it was beyond measure”.

After seven years of plenty, the story in Genesis says, Egypt suffered seven years of famine, during which Joseph was able to feed the people with the grain he had stored.
    Asked on Wednesday if he still held these views, Carson told CBS News: “It’s still my belief, yes.”

At least the scientists weren't highfalutin back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

robindch wrote: »
    At least the scientists weren't highfalutin back then.

I read the scientist quote in "Idiocracy accent"as well..

Carson Hopes Debate Will Focus on Lost City of Atlantis

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/carson-hopes-debate-will-focus-on-lost-city-of-atlantis
    MILWAUKEE (The Borowitz Report)—Arguing that the voters have tired of “gotcha questions,” the Republican Presidential candidate Ben Carson said that he hoped Tuesday night’s debate would “focus on the real issues facing this country, like finding the lost city of Atlantis.”

“The American people don’t want to hear personal attacks,” Carson told reporters. “They want to know which candidate has the best plan for locating Atlantis and recovering its storied treasures.”

Carson said that finding Atlantis was central to his plan for reviving the U.S. economy. “We could start paying down the national debt with one jewel-encrusted trident,” he said.

As part of his continuing campaign against the mainstream media, Carson said that he would resist all attempts by debate moderators to get him to disclose his actual name and occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Republican candidate John Kasich's idea of how to deal with Wall St, is to teach them Catholic 'ethics'. Ha!
    Ohio Governor John Kasich argued that there is “too much greed” on Wall Street. “They need a good ethics lesson on a regular basis to keep them in check so we the people do not lose.” Kasich neglected to mention that he spent years working for Lehman Brothers in the years leading up the financial crisis. Bush also served as an adviser to Lehman and its successor firm, Barclay’s.

Tell the bankers that greed isn't nice and if they happen to get greedy, they are naughty little bankers. That's his plan? Wall St. bankers must be terrified.

Kasich must be simple, and he's not alone when you consider the other occupants of the GOP clown car. This idea is almost as effortless as Carson's 15% tithe tax rate.
    Moderator Becky Quick pointed out that a 10 percent flat tax would bring in a lot less revenue and asked how would that work. Tithing was just an analogy and the rate would actually be closer to 15 percent, Carson responded, adding that he’d fill the gap through "strategic cutting."

But Quick continued to press him on the numbers. Here’s a snippet of their exchange on Oct. 28:

Quick: "You would have to cut government by about 40 percent to make it work with a $1.1 trillion hole."

Carson: "It's not true."

Quick: "It is true. I looked at the numbers."

Carson: "When we put all the facts down, you will be able to see that it's not true. It works out very well."

Carson could not have toned it down any more, which is not surprising. He could easily have said; "when I did the numbers they were like good and stuff."

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Advertisement

Vermin Supreme has announced that he's running for the Presidency of the United States. Though a Democrat rather than a Republican, Mr Supreme seems to have much in common with the Republican field in terms of approach. His facebook page is here. God bless this candidate and all who sail with him.

369619.jpg

The BBC investigates the Mind of Donald Trump.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34903577

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Islamophobia + American Jesus + Republican Party =

“I know it’s not politically correct to say,” she began. “But every nation that has fallen has fallen because they are anti-God. We have no future if we keep going like this. Except beheadings.”

“I believe he’s a Muslim and wanting Muslims to take over our nation. One nation under Allah instead of one nation under God! But if everyone prays and turns from their wicked ways, then God has promised to answer our prayers. That’s why we need a man of faith.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...html?tid=sm_fb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

"And when Carson said at a rally in Mobile on Nov. 19 that God himself had opened his path to the presidency, Toni Ledet, 59, cheered with the crowd of hundreds."

No need for an election then. God has spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In a country which fought and won a revolutionary war against (among other things) the divine right of kings, that's both incredibly stupid and depressing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

In a country which fought and won a revolutionary war against (among other things) the divine right of kings, that's both incredibly stupid and depressing.
    In fairness, the place was basically founded so that people could practice religion in a fashion which was starting to be considered too extreme back in Europe, and they then went on to establish the concept of separation of church and state so their new government couldn't interfere with how they practiced religion. Hardly surprising that religious extravagance has flourished....

Ted Cruz carries out a multivariate, longitudinal study of violent behaviour and concludes that "the overwhelming majority of violent criminals are Democrats":

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/ted-cruz-lashes-out-the-overwhelming-majority-of-violent-criminals-are-democrats/
    Ted Cruz wrote:
    Every time you have some sort of violent crime or mass killing, you can almost see the media salivating — hoping desperately that the murderer happens to be a Republican, so that they can use it to try and paint their political enemies. [...] Here’s the simple and undeniable fact. The overwhelming majority of violent criminals are Democrats, [...] The media doesn’t report that.

A new one here - following the latest mass-shooting in the USA, a range of twitterati have come out and heavily criticized politicians for offering "their thoughts and prayers":

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-34992061

370511.jpg

While Chris Murphy, a senator from Sandy Hook, Connecticut, was even more pointed:

370512.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

^ Needed to be said for a long time.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, our Republican Presidential Fruitcakes - all stunned to relative silence by the sheer horror of the Planned Parenthood murders and the urgent, days-long search to find an idea and a person to blame - suddenly find voice again, full and strong. This time, having located with a haste which some might find indecent, the person and the idea behind the USA's latest mass-murder:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34998776

Advertisement