Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    Characterizing the BBC (a charter-based, public-service oriented news outlet) in the same bracket as Breitbart and RT (shiny propaganda outlets) by the use of the slippery term "agenda" ...
    The BBC loves to denigrate Trump and also anything Russian, but their all-time favourite stories combine both. Such as their obsession with the Trump-Putin mutual admiration club and searching for links between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

recedite wrote: »
    The BBC loves to denigrate Trump and also anything Russian, but their all-time favourite stories combine both. Such as their obsession with the Trump-Putin mutual admiration club and searching for links between the two.

almost every european news outlet of any character is denigrating Trump. Even Obama mentioned that none outside the US understands whats happening .

Face it the world thinks Trumps is a dangerous liar and an unstable sociopath, not surprising the news commentary doesnt reflect that thinking

BoatMad wrote: »
    That's fine , by saying " willing to listen " you are prepared, say to read or listen to their output. ( just like you would read or listen to the BBC ) , however that's very different to you dismissing a story based on your bias ( Israeli babies or the caliph ) , where you automatically applied your bias ( not theirs )
    I'll tell you why I'm dismissing the story about Israeli babies. Its an irrelevance. Its some allegation about adoption irregularities, dragged up from the 1950's, in which the jews are alleged to have stolen babies from Yemen.

What is actually happening in Yemen now? The Saudi led coalition of Salafist and MB supporting Muslim nations is bombing a neighbour; Yemen. Qatar is a participant in the slaughter, and Al Jazeera is the mouthpiece of Qatar. Yemen imports 90% of its food, so they deliberately bombed the ports and food warehouses. Today in Yemen, the babies who are torn apart by the bombing are the lucky ones. The unlucky ones slowly starve to death.

The Yemeni Houthi rebels are a poor and under-resourced majority within their own country. The only help they get is from their fellow Shia Muslims in Iran.
    So Al Jazeera has chosen not to report on any of the above current events in Yemen. Why do you think they dragged up an anti-Israel story from the 1950's? Its a cynical and disgusting attempt to deflect attention from what is actually happening in Yemen now.

But anyway, we digress off-topic with all these facts. Back to the Trump-bashing....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I'll tell you why I'm dismissing the story about Israeli babies. Its an irrelevance. Its some allegation about adoption irregularities, dragged up from the 1950's, in which the jews are alleged to have stolen babies from Yemen.

What is actually happening in Yemen now? The Saudi led coalition of Salafist and MB supporting Muslim nations is bombing a neighbour; Yemen. Quatar is a participant in the slaughter, and Al Jazeera is the mouthpiece of Quatar. Yemen imports 90% of its food, so they deliberately bombed the ports and food warehouses. Today in Yemen, the babies who are torn apart by the bombing are the lucky ones. The unlucky ones slowly starve to death.

The Yemeni Houthi rebels are a poor and under-resourced majority within their own country. The only help they get is from their fellow Shia Muslims in Iran.
    So Al Jazeera has chosen not to report on any of the above current events in Yemen. Why do you think they dragged up an anti-Israel story from the 1950's? Its a cynical and disgusting attempt to deflect attention from what is actually happening in Yemen now.

But anyway, we digress off-topic with all these facts. Back to the Trump-bashing....

doing a search of their site , shows that their was over 20 news items on Yemen in August alone, including ( on a quick skim through , various opinions from many commentators )

but before we go on, I fully agree that the Saudis are a huge participant in the chaos in the ME and elsewhere, funny though the US seems too leave them alone , now why is that ...... ( under both republican and democrat administrations )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm sure the family of murdered UK politician, Jo Cox, might have something to say about legitimizing violence against politicians.

Back over the pond again, it seems that no less a man than the chairman of the American Nazi Party, Rocky Suhayda, has said on his radio program that Trump presents a "wonderful opportunity":

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/american-nazi-chair-a-trump-win-would-be-a-real-opportunity
    We have a wonderful OPPORTUNITY here folks, that may never come again, at the RIGHT time [...] Donald Trump’s campaign statements, if nothing else, have SHOWN that ‘our views’ are NOT so ‘unpopular’ as the Political Correctness crowd have told everyone they are!
    Note the hat tip at the end there to Joseph Overton's Window.

The BBC loves to denigrate Trump and also anything Russian, but their all-time favourite stories combine both.
    I haven't noticed anything inaccurate published by the BBC on Trump and even opinion pieces are careful and measured. Perhaps you might point out some BBC news stories on the man which are false?

As regards Russia - I've been following the BBC's output on the country for around 35 years to the extent of learning the language and travelling there, and regionally, many times. The BBC is one of the very few news organizations which reports consistently accurately and honestly about the country, and many of the best reporters working for the BBC have spent time reporting, sometimes very memorably, from there. If Russian state-controlled media and its supporters abroad feel that this amounts to negative reporting, well, perhaps Russia should spend less time insulting the messenger and a little more time cleaning up its increasingly nasty and threatening image.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

The libertarian candidate Johnson is emerging as a real alternative for Republican voters in many states. He's polling at around 10% which would be a significant result for a 3rd party candidate in the U.S.

silverharp wrote: »
    Hillary doesn't look like she is medically fit to keep going , seizures caught on camera , photos of her having to be helped up stairs , freezing on stage.
    The BBC looks into how these rumours have surfaced and how they're now promoted by the National Enquirer, Sean Hannity and Donald Trump.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37090082

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

The BBC looks into how these rumours have surfaced and how they're now promoted by the National Enquirer, Sean Hannity and Donald Trump.

While they are obviously nonsense rumours I do get the feeling if the shoe was on the other foot and Trump was making silly faces there would be a lot more talk about it.

• Advertisement

The libertarian candidate Johnson is emerging as a real alternative for Republican voters in many states. He's polling at around 10% which would be a significant result for a 3rd party candidate in the U.S.

I don't agree with him much and have zero time for Libertarianism in general but I think any rise in a 3rd party in the US is good for democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its out there, the media went after McCain back in 08 until he released his medical records. it seems reasonable that Hillary release hers and that would kill the speculation. It seems normal that presidents do 2 terms so that would put her (and Trump) late 70's in their second term. Reagan wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders at the end. Maybe they should stop picking candidates that would be retired if they were in any other field?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Qs wrote: »
    I think any rise in a 3rd party in the US is good for democracy.
    But not with the existing voting system - a third party candidate is likely to split the vote and result in inconsistent and occasionally, completely daft, voting patterns.

It would be better to run a French-style presidential election where the ultimate requirement is that the final winner is elected by more than half the votes cast - even if it needs a run-off election between the top two candidates from the initial election.

silverharp wrote: »
    it seems reasonable that Hillary release hers and that would kill the speculation.
    The article says that her own personal doctor has said that she's ""she is in excellent physical condition and fit to serve as the president of the United States". So, unless the doctor is lying, and I'm not aware of any evidence to suggest that, then there can't be too much to be gained by releasing personal medical records - which are supposed to be private and confidential anyway.

In any case, so far as I'm aware, Trump hasn't released his records and he's still refusing to release even his tax returns - the latter for reasons which one certainly can speculate about.

BTW, wasn't Trump one of the loudest of the Obama-is-Kenyan-birther nutcases? I don't recall that Obama's releasing of his birth cert did much to damp down that particular silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

BTW, wasn't Trump one of the loudest of the Obama-is-Kenyan-birther nutcases? I don't recall that Obama's releasing of his birth cert did much to damp down that particular silliness.

Well that explains his love of doubling down on his bullsh*t (e.g. "Obummer and Crooked HillaREEEEE done founded ISIS"). :pac:

BTW, wasn't Trump one of the loudest of the Obama-is-Kenyan-birther nutcases?

He was the one who started it.

Also, there's this little bit of news about Paul Manafort: Secret Ledger in Ukraine Lists Cash for Donald Trump’s Campaign Chief[/url

8bvxtjzd5nfx.jpg

Maybe Putin is Trump. Has anyone ever seen them both in the same place at the same time ;)
    Quick, somebody call the BBC...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Maybe Putin is Trump. Has anyone ever seen them both in the same place at the same time ;)
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Trump is the best self destruct mechanism the Republicans have produced. As they had Nixon, that's quite something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The article says that her own personal doctor has said that she's ""she is in excellent physical condition and fit to serve as the president of the United States". So, unless the doctor is lying, and I'm not aware of any evidence to suggest that, then there can't be too much to be gained by releasing personal medical records - which are supposed to be private and confidential anyway.

In any case, so far as I'm aware, Trump hasn't released his records and he's still refusing to release even his tax returns - the latter for reasons which one certainly can speculate about.

I'd imagine Trump wont release his tax records because it would probably show that his income is a $100K :pac: . Anyway, either she is fit or she isnt so if she flies it at the debates she is good to go. All the stuff seems to be about her ability to stay standing etc. I dont know how long these debates are but if she can stay standing for an hour or 2 and not look like she is struggling it should make the rumours less plausible

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,637 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

According to the Irish Times today she's released her health records, and all tax returns going back to 1977

FDR could barely stand up at all, did that make him unfit for office?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Turns out Trump quite likes some media - recedite?

How Breitbart became Donald Trump's favourite news site

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37109970

Breitbart's been nothing but a Trump fanfiction blog for some time now, shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The only "shock" is this; the appointment signals that Trump has definitively abandoned any hope of winning over people who don't already agree with him. If he had any ambitions to do that, he absolutely would not be making this appointment.

So: Trump is losing the election, and he knows it. From this point on, what he is doing is positioning himself and his brand for life after the election. The team-up with Ailes and Bannon suggests strongly that the life Trump sees for himself after the election is a life in the media. Think of a new media entity, positioned to the right of Fox News, appealing to an older, angrier, whiter and more ignorant demographic than Fox does, and involving plenty of Trump product placement.

Turns out Trump quite likes some media - recedite?
    If you think this is somehow "the end" for Trump its only because you have become accustomed to the ad hominems in certain circles directed at anybody who quotes anything reported by Breitbart. It is a logical fallacy.
    This appointment is no more peculiar than a UK Labour Party candidate recruiting a spin doctor from The Guardian.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The only "shock" is this; the appointment signals that Trump has definitively abandoned any hope of winning over people who don't already agree with him. If he had any ambitions to do that, he absolutely would not be making this appointment.

So: Trump is losing the election, and he knows it. From this point on, what he is doing is positioning himself and his brand for life after the election. The team-up with Ailes and Bannon suggests strongly that the life Trump sees for himself after the election is a life in the media. Think of a new media entity, positioned to the right of Fox News, appealing to an older, angrier, whiter and more ignorant demographic than Fox does, and involving plenty of Trump product placement.

But Trump isn't to the right of Fox. He's more overt than Fox and the establishment GOP when it comes to immigration but apart from that he's just not as far right as they are.

I also think its a little early to be calling the election for Hillary. Trump is down now but things can change and he's not as far behind as people believe. In a Trump vs Hillary poll he'll be down by maybe 10 points or more but when 3rd party candidates are included its more like 4 or 5 points. And we haven't even had a debate yet. Plus who knows what else wikileaks are going to release. Long way to go yet.

Qs wrote: »
    But Trump isn't to the right of Fox. He's more overt than Fox and the establishment GOP when it comes to immigration but apart from that he's just not as far right as they are.

I also think its a little early to be calling the election for Hillary. Trump is down now but things can change and he's not as far behind as people believe. In a Trump vs Hillary poll he'll be down by maybe 10 points or more but when 3rd party candidates are included its more like 4 or 5 points. And we haven't even had a debate yet. Plus who knows what else wikileaks are going to release. Long way to go yet.
    Where are you getting those ideas from? Most votes for the third party candidates are coming from the GOP base, it's libertarians who are leaving the GOP, there's not many Dems leaving for the Greens.

Where are you getting those ideas from? Most votes for the third party candidates are coming from the GOP base, it's libertarians who are leaving the GOP, there's not many Dems leaving for the Greens.

I don't think thats true. I mean logically it should be the case as the Libertarians are polling a lot better than the Greens but the polls show a different pattern (in relation to Trump vs Clinton). I think its best not to get too logical when it comes to the voting public in the US.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-08-10/bloomberg-politics-national-poll

https://morningconsult.com/2016/08/14/poll-trump-arrests-slide-but-favorability-reaches-new-depths/

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/poll-clinton-maintains-big-lead-voters-doubt-trump-s-temperament-n631351

I also think polling is going to be less accurate in this less election than other years. I think we will likely see a lower turn out than usual but I'm not sure who that favours TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If you think this is somehow "the end" for Trump its only because you have become accustomed to the ad hominems in certain circles directed at anybody who quotes anything reported by Breitbart. It is a logical fallacy.
    This appointment is no more peculiar than a UK Labour Party candidate recruiting a spin doctor from The Guardian.

Nah, it'd be more like them going back in time to hire Malcolm X when he was at his most extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

If Muhammad Replaced Trump

Advertisement