Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capcoms (Rumoured) System to combat used games sales

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

gbee wrote: »
    There, it's OFFICIAL Now.

Lads and ladies; don't buy games anymore because it's more damaging than piracy.

Thanks a million, I've a clear conscience now and Eircom you can NOW take a running jump, blocking my U-Torrent.

Yippee, a great day for us all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

In Blanchardstown Gamestop earlier and the manager didn't know anything about this,seems their Head Office failed to let them know,there are no warnings instore or online about this,they also have set the trade in value at a less than generous €17,as the game is on sale there for €44.99.

That's just classic Gamestop right there. I'm surprised their reply wasn't simply "What's a DS?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I think one issue is that there is seemingly no legislation against brick-and-mortar retailers removing factory seals on new games. The way to tell if a game is "new" or used in the overwhelming majority of shops is by a small sticker in the corner of the box. However, personally speaking, if a "new" game I'm purchasing has been "manhandled" by a Gamestop employee I feel like I'm getting a used game. Conveniently, there is little differentiation between "new" and used games when it appears on the shelf space at these shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I will just stop you here m8. Are you freaking serious?!
    Yes, I'm serious.
    :confused:

You're acting like it's the end of the road for used games, but much nastier systems can (and have) been used, such as linking online play to a particular CONSOLE (so you would actually be forced to buy the game again) -- definitely saw something like this with 1 or 2 DS titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yes, I'm serious.

You're acting like it's the end of the road for used games, but much nastier systems can (and have) been used, such as linking online play to a particular CONSOLE (so you would actually be forced to buy the game again) -- definitely saw something like this with 1 or 2 DS titles.

Was Metroid Prime Hunters like that? I am unsure, but I remember getting a prompt along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yes, I'm serious.

You do realise: this is how it starts.

One company tried online pass for consoles, now all of them doing online pass.

One company did prerelease dlcs now all of them doingit.

One company started doing exclusive prelaunch dlcs for different retailers, now all of them doing this!!!

Now they are trying ths out on gamer, gamers just bitch a bit and bend over. Soon you will buy your next favourite game for full price. Finish it once, then you will have to buy some replaygame pass for anather 800 points, so you could start a game from beginning on hard!

Capcom is trying out how thin ice is with thus drm. If they will get away with it, then any next game will have this drm!

One company started doing exclusive prelaunch dlcs for different retailers, now all of them doing this!!!

Now they are trying ths out on gamer, gamers just bitch a bit and bend over. Soon you will buy your next favourite game for full price. Finish it once, then you will have to buy some replaygame pass for anather 800 points, so you could start a game from beginning on hard!

Capcom is trying out how thin ice is with thus drm. If they will get away with it, then any next game will have this drm!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72624516 everything you said i addressed in that thread not so long ago, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

No matter what way you look at it, gamers have now been given a reason to buy 3DS cart interface/dumping adaptors. I wonder what else they could potentially be used for :rolleyes: Good going by Ninty & Capcom.

I hate to sound like an ametuer here, but what exactly does DRM stand for? :o

deathrider wrote: »
    I hate to sound like an ametuer here, but what exactly does DRM stand for? :o

Just googles it , says it stands for digital rights management ;)

• Advertisement

Just googles it , says it stands for digital rights management ;)

Ah, google. Where would we be without it, lol. Cheers, buddy.

deathrider wrote: »
    Ah, google. Where would we be without it, lol. Cheers, buddy.

No problem ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

can you not just overwrite a previous save?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nope. You just load your game, that's it.
    Anything you do updates your existing save.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think you need this:
    How to make an aluminium foil beanie
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Slightly extreme, but he's got a point. All it takes is for one company to make the initial PR sacrifice like what we see here with Capcom, and then the entire industry follows in its tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm completely with Shadowhearth. Anyone who thinks that the games industry in general won't try to screw over the most addicted entertainment consumer base on the planet as much as possible is deluded. It's always been about money, and how much they can get away with. They haven't found out the limits of breaking points of gamers yet.

Locked DLC already on the disc? Already happened.

Alternate costumes on a year old game? Pay me. How many packs?

What about Betas? We go from "free access to betas" to "pre-order the game and you can play the beta" to "go buy this other game and you can access the beta" to "give me money if u want in on the beta". Of course this doesn't apply to every company, but it's happened.

As Shadowhearth pointed out, it's all about testing just how far you can go. Unfortunately most gamers, when it comes down to it, will pay whatever to play the games they want. Such is the quality and enjoyment of our beloved medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You think he's paranoid? He was spot on. The result of the uproar? http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/04/capcom-claims-re-the-mercenaries-3d-save-controversy-wont-happ/
    Speaking with Capcom Unity last Friday, Capcom USA VP of Strategic Planning & Business Development Christian Svensson said that, given the upheaval and generally bad reaction caused by Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D's peculiar save system, it's unlikely that we would "see something like this happening again."

He also maintains that there was "never quite the malicious intent the conspiracy theorists out there would have you believe," and that RE:TM3D's inability to reset saves was a conscious design decision aimed at maintaining the "arcade fighter" feel of the title. Regardless of why they did it, it's good to hear the team claiming that it won't happen again

What do they take people for? Still, they've a better PR team than Sony - they'd have denied the whole affair.

Advertisement