Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Dumping Cig Butts - Help Required.

Options
  • 29-06-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

My tenant keeps dumping his cig butts on the communical lawn. He has been asked by the neighbours to clean them up as its a communical area. He just ignores and continues throwing the butts on the lawn. Now the gardner has been complaining. What do I need to do. Any ideas? I don't want to make a scene and lose him as he is a really decent guy and pays rent on time etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

He's not a decent guy if he keeps littering the communal area. If he keeps it up you may find yourself with an extra charge on your bill from your management company. Just tell him to cop on or he goes, he has to obey the house rules, which would include no littering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You are legally responsible for ensuring that your tenant complies with development rules, the management company could end up taking action against with you - from fines to a solicitors letter.

You say other people have asked him to stop, have you? Did you provide him with a copy of the development rules when he moved in?

You need to sort this out asap, it sounds like it's being going on a long time already. If I was a resident I wouldn't be happy that my management fees were being spent in part to clean up after your tenant, and would be pushing for action.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Provide a cigarette bin?

Google gave me this page as its first result: http://www.arengineering.co.uk/cigarette_bins.html

This way he may be less inclined to flick it away, as there is now somewhere to put the finished cigarette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

the_syco wrote: »
    Provide a cigarette bin?

Google gave me this page as its first result: http://www.arengineering.co.uk/cigarette_bins.html

This way he may be less inclined to flick it away, as there is now somewhere to put the finished cigarette.

Just remember you can't fix anything to external walls as they are common property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

athtrasna wrote: »
    Just remember you can't fix anything to external walls as they are common property.
    Some old metal bin wouldn't need fixing, that an option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

One of these days a neighbour will lose the head, sweep them up and push them through his letterbox ;)

Call around, give him a warning and a metal bin for a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

he is a really decent guy

He sounds like an a*sehole

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just inform the tenant that he is littering. The fines for that are €150 for first offence, and up to €3,000 for subsequent offences.

If your tenant doesn't stop littering, he can be reported for littering, and you as the unit owner can be charged extra by the management company for the cost of cleaning up these butts.

Time for you to tell him what's what, and that he has to stop. It doesn't take much effort to bring them back inside and put them in a bin. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

cancer man from x-files moved to Eire?

Advertisement