Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaigns, Services and all things Ents!

Options
  • 29-06-2011 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all!

Firstly just to introduce myself, my name is Paddy Rockett and I am the Campaigns & Services Officer for University of Limerick's Students Union.

This Thread is intended to facilitate any discussion with regards to the following:

Campaigns.
    • What campaigns are we running?
    • How do I get involved?
    • How do I run my own charity/awareness campaign? etc.
    Services
    • What services do we provide?
    • What new services could the Union do with?
    • What you would like to see in the Shops on campus.
    Entertainments
    • What gigs are happening this year?
    • Ticket price
    • Up and coming bands
    • Class Parties
    • Balls
    • Charity week
    • And so much more
    So there you have it may I ask that when you are posting a comment can you flag the title as General, Campaigns, Services or Entertainments. That would be great help.

Also if you would like to check out the weekly blog on:

http://csoulsu.blogspot.com/

that would be class.

I'd also like to stress that this is an information forum/thread, one which facilitates feedback, discussion, awareness and representation. Any form of personal attack or mindless off topic ranting will be seen as such and will not be entertained but I'm pretty sure the moderators have that covered.

So that is that…for now expect regular updates and I will do my best to respond in a timely manner. I look forward to hearing from you!

Peace
    Paddy Rockett
    ULSU Campaigns & Services Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 xyzmech

Just got this from your blog and I'm wondering what each of these would involve, especially the last two, and can anyone get involved, is it a lot of work, roughly how many hours a week would you have to give to it etc.
    I will be advertising for work in the following areas over the next few weeks:
    Casual Labour
    Orientation Work/ ULSU services promo
    Ents Crew
    Craic, Banter and Shenanigans crew

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Please, please, please....

NO MORE CORONAS!!!

Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

I have a question, you say you are preparing for the grad ball on the 27th of August on your blog but when will we hear about the cost or more details?

there is a thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056312902 saying that it's €47 a ticket.

Is it actually €47? that seems pretty expensive, what exactly does the ball offer? The engineering ball, humanities ball etc were around the €30 mark and since the grad ball caters for a larger number of people surely the cost should be lower as per the economies of scale or at least the same area?

I ask because I haven't heard anything (except for that thread and your blog) about the grad ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

I wish you well my good man but i certainly hope this year will be a vast improvement on the last two years in the uni. Shocking is the word to describe ents atm, rag week was terrible...

Hopefully you'll have some surprises up your sleeve!

good luck!

ps coronas are nothing! im sure we all remember when the blizzards seemed to be around every other month. lazy planning in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

reunion wrote: »
    I have a question, you say you are preparing for the grad ball on the 27th of August on your blog but when will we hear about the cost or more details?

there is a thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056312902 saying that it's €47 a ticket.

Is it actually €47? that seems pretty expensive, what exactly does the ball offer? The engineering ball, humanities ball etc were around the €30 mark and since the grad ball caters for a larger number of people surely the cost should be lower as per the economies of scale or at least the same area?

I ask because I haven't heard anything (except for that thread and your blog) about the grad ball.
    The Grad Ball is €47 to cover costs like a decent band, sound rig, the administration of getting 1,100 people tickets, getting them seated, offering a choice on the menu and of course the security operation is extremely expensive.

There have been cheaper balls, but the price has come down from €50 to €45 in recent years and we wanted to offer something better than a no choice menu of veg soup with turkey and ham. There are huge costs associated with the Grad Ball, which is the reason for the price. It compares quite favourably to €60 a head at DCU, which for a one off is still not that bad. Most Debs cost more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Haven't been as involved in the su as i would like, what sort of casual labour is available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ULSU Ents

Hi All I will try to answer all of these in one go.

With regard to what each of the jobs involve:

Ents Crew - Trained student security for events and activities, Class parties, and Faculty Balls - You recieve training and a license to practice security.

Orientation Promo. General Signup for the three bars on campus, the safe cabs service and helping out with all things orientation week for the incoming first years.

Casual Labour. If anything is needed to be done over the year such as postering, groundwork and generally being a helping hand to the Union for events and Campaigns etc

Craic, Banter and shenanigans crew. These are the promo heads that need to be charecters in their own rite. many colleges use what are called hype crews for an event to be massive and this group come together come up with the spectacle of an event and the get out with myself included and sell it to the masses.

One I forgot to mention: M&M's - Highly important for the upcomming year. Again these are student security that do patrols of estates during times of big events such as charity week and fresher fest.

All these available jobs will be advertised in good time as soon as a decent payment has been finalized. Any other questions feel free to call in for a chat. And of course any job that we will advertise for will have a specific Job spec to work from.

With regard to the Coronas. I have no plans to include them in our lineups as of yet although I cannot speak for the Stables who often run their own events just like last year. I understand how people feel about repetitative acts so I do hope to filter out our options to the student body and literally let you decide...but not for freshers that little beauty is one im gonna hold close to the Chest!:D Cannot Wait!!!

With Regard to the ticket price for the graduation ball 2011 Derek really summed it up fairly well. Other than that the Information is sent out to you by the university but we are also displaying the information on our facebook site.

http://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/event.php?eid=228587983819236

Please dont hesitate to contact me for any other information paddy.rockett@ul.ie

With regards to entertainment last year... cheers for the confidence its gearing up to be a great year. Viv did great work last year but like many things we dont know what happens in the background with buildings and estates, all the paperwork and the eventually dealing with the band themselves. Im genrally looking at 4 big gigs and then the savage student discount nights inbetween so that the cost of a good night whatever it may be, is low... The creativity of the guys here in what we can do is second to none so expect a year ahead of some serious events and nights out and the banter to go with it.

Goody gumdrops - I hope that clears up any issues lads and ladies feel free to drop me a comment here, facebook or pop into the office. Glad this thread could be of some use

Peace
    Paddy Rockett

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Cheers for all that Paddy, excellent post.

Casual labour sounds just like my thing.

Hi guys and girls, just a new post in the blog about being on the search for acts that might want to play over the next year take a look-see and let me know what you think!

Cheers big-ears

Paddy Rockett
    ULSU Campaigns & Services Officer.:D

• Advertisement

Hi guys and girls
    Just some more info on the grad ball available on your Students Union website:

http://www.ulsu.ie/ents/gradball2011

Cant wait to see ye there!

Paddy Rockett
    ULSU Campaigns & Services Offier:D

Hi guys and girls!!!

Just an update again on all things in the world of Campaigns & Services!

http://csoulsu.blogspot.com/2011/07/hi-this-is-craig-from-ception-how-may-i.html?spref=fb

This has all the information of the day to day stuff from Leeds University and NUS.

I have also thrown in some info on domestic issues like the new Events & Promotions Officer, Restructure, Stables & Scholars meetings etc.

Again any Questions give me a shout on sucso@ul.ie

Im loving this - sorry It had to be said :D

Cheers guys
    Paddy Rockett

Howdy folks!

Just to annouce the very exciting job opportunities with us in your ULSU

http://www.ulsu.ie/news/2011-ptcljobs

I know a couple of you said you were interested so there it is. There has been a good bit of banter about these jobs on facebook so check them out.

I hope we can sort you out with something

Regards and best wishes!

Paddy Rockett:D
    Campaigns & Services Officer

Hi guys and girls!

Here is the recent blog entry have a read and let me know what you think...Its been a tough week in th Union genuinely so tired I could sleep for a week...

Feel free to give me a shout about anything,

Is mise le meas,

Paddy

Paddy Rockett
    Campaigns and Services Officer
    Oifigeach Feachtais agus Seirbhísí

University of Limerick Students' Union
    061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie
    www.facebook.com/ulstudentsunion

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Please, please, please....

NO MORE CORONAS!!!

Please?

OH how times have changed !!! They will be shouting "BRING BACK THE BLIZZARDS" next.... if they wern't broken up :):):):):)

Anyone, remember the Blizzards?

I'm sure they got the Blizzards three times one year, such crap I really hope this is the year we'll get good acts....

Howye lads!

As was stated in a previous post I have no intention to get them back...considering one has dwindled down to the frontman (at DCU' Fresher fest this year!)

As much as the comments are appreciated lads this ai'nt a forum to dwell on the past only one to develope the future in relation to the Campaigns and Services office.

Its an aweful thing we have and I believe its quintessentially Irish is that we dwell alot on what was crap and like to moan.Ruan had a great conversation with me with regard negativity and its inherent ability to stunt progress and destroy ability,energy and motivation.

I feed off this positivity, the possibilies of ability, the expression of energy and the power of motivation.

So can I ask you guys to be similar in your approach... by all means complain...by all means have your say... but think constructivly before destructivly... this is just a little pearl of wisdom that got me to this office

I dont ever forget it.

My best as allways

Is mise le meas,

Paddy

Paddy Rockett

061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie

Hi guys just another update

http://csoulsu.blogspot.com/2011_08_01_archive.html

Ant questions or queries give me a shout on sucso@ul.ie

Is mise le meas,

Paddy

Paddy Rockett

061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Don't be afraid to try out new bands either (aslong as it'd be cheap to go see them). A good new band (that we've never heard of) is better than an old band that we've seen too many times to count. That said, I heard the Cranberries used to constantly play at UL before they were famous, and people were sick to death of them. I don't think they'd care now.

Basically, what I'm saying is see a band before you plonk them on the student body. If they're good, advertise it to foooook and get a buzz going. There are lots of good bands out there that are crying out at a chance to play at UL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Hey paddy,

You probably have done it to the eye full but for smaller things could you keep an eye out a what other Uni's have done or are going to do.

Like little things such as the Inbetweener nights in the Baileys down in Cork for UCC/CIT would have been savage if a UL version was done in the Stables or something.

Also again I'm not sure but it'd be fairly sweet if you could establish student reps or contacts for the different clubs & late night pubs in town.

• Advertisement

Wow guys thanks very much

@Seloth, Yeah i was looking at a few elements from other colleges and have been in touch with a good few of the Sabbats there. Funny you should mention the inbetweeners. I'll wait till you come back but Keep an eye on week 2 ;)

With regard to your student reps idea, I like it, in fact I like it alot so rather than being caught between suiting one Nightclub or venue as a singular person (myself) trying to juggle them all and please them all we would have reps who liase with the various areas in the city and around the college area. I think i'll integrate this into the Job spec for 'Craic, Banter and Shenanigans Crew' Fantastic Idea and well woth carrying out

@Punkfreud, My focus is very much new bands and im sorry if this sounds cruel but they would act as an entertainment filler (for want of a better term) between big acts. As in most people are going to want to go to the large scale acts thats a givin based on the act, but i realy want to cater for the fresh up and comming band scene as there were some gems i only got to see in the battle of the bands gig in the stables last year, one of which was the HoneyBadgers who were amazing!

The problem with new bands is paying for them and them being somewhat unknown so i think its more about building an event similar to battle of the bands or something else that draws all respective groups in including their core fans. Any suggestions or ideas from what you may have seen before?

I have had the great opportunity to go see a few bands of which I was very impressed with, I also have asked for prospective bands to send in an EP or some form of their work and the response has been fantastic, but i'd love more! Nothing better than having variety to offer.

My main focus and our new Ents Officer also is to ensure that we dont go stagnant on the events we put on so hopefully we offer something for everyone.

With that said any ideas or suggestions send them on to
    Keith.Quinlan@ul.ie (Events & Promotions officer) or sucso@ul.ie
    Thanks for the Comments guys they are very much appreciated

Is mise le meas,

Paddy

Paddy Rockett

061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie

Hi Guys (Apologies if this is on a serious note)

With regard to fees and the timing of proposed plans:

Without Question, We will continue to protest and mount pressure on a government that will not actively engage with the very people they sentence to financial hardship and strain. Students remain a strong, formidable unit, undivided by political parties, ideologies and personal gain but unified by a governments poor decision making and 'easy way out' approach to our nation and its students... and we are Irelands students, the very people they should be investing in to alter the negligence of their history.

'FEE'S CANNOT AND WILL NOT BE THE PRIORITY OF OUR CURRENT STUDENTS AND OUR FUTURE ONES - I WILL, IN MY CAPACITY AS ULSU CAMPAIGNS AND SERVICES OFFICER, NOT ALLOW THE COLLEGE EXPERIENCE BECOME THAT OF FINACIAL FEAR AND RUIN, OF MENTAL STRAIN AND ANGUISH WE ARE BETTER THAN THAT AS A NATION...WE ARE MORE THAN THIS AS A PEOPLE'

Please feel free to leave a comment or suggestions - emails can be sent to sucso@ul.ie

Is mise le meas,

Paddy

Paddy Rockett

061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie

Good to hear paddy, anymore marches in the pipeline next semester?

Great news? hmm I really would like the SU to spend their funds on something more worth while, instead of spending it on buses for marches.

Its absolutely pointless to be protesting about fees!! People need to accept that they're on the way back and its gonna happen, there is no point in making noise and wasting our time. The government need money and this is a clear avenue.. even Labour have given in now.

The Universities are deprived of funds here and I do think fees would improve quality on facilities, lecturers and also a more of an initiative to study and do well.. How is taking a day off to go and protest gonna improve your degree?

What i really would like to see is the SU's of this country do somthing constructive and start to figure out the best way that the fees can be paid eg loans, bonds etc. If the right course of action is taking the fees issue wouldn't be such a big deal.

Now I'm not saying bring fees in tomorrow but perhaps a 5 year warning so families can prepare and then let rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

ULSU Ents wrote: »
    Wow guys thanks very much

The problem with new bands is paying for them and them being somewhat unknown so i think its more about building an event similar to battle of the bands or something else that draws all respective groups in including their core fans. Any suggestions or ideas from what you may have seen before?

Bear in mind that the Music Soc run a couple BOTBs throughout the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

joey12 wrote: »
    Great news? hmm I really would like the SU to spend their funds on something more worth while, instead of spending it on buses for marches.

Its absolutely pointless to be protesting about fees!! People need to accept that they're on the way back and its gonna happen, there is no point in making noise and wasting our time. The government need money and this is a clear avenue.. even Labour have given in now.

The Universities are deprived of funds here and I do think fees would improve quality on facilities, lecturers and also a more of an initiative to study and do well.. How is taking a day off to go and protest gonna improve your degree?

What i really would like to see is the SU's of this country do somthing constructive and start to figure out the best way that the fees can be paid eg loans, bonds etc. If the right course of action is taking the fees issue wouldn't be such a big deal.

Now I'm not saying bring fees in tomorrow but perhaps a 5 year warning so families can prepare and then let rip.

Dont wish to start a debate but did we not pay for the buses ourselves?Also the average student is more than likely going to miss that day due to a hangover anyway so missing one day to protest it isnt much(Made a bad case for students there hah)I paid and was ready to go protest last year!Several of my friends cannot go to college now directly as of the increase(Have to work first) so I take the matter a lil bit seriosuly.Ended up with the flue the bah! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

Bring the Cranberries to UL!!! =]

Hi guys and girls

Another update from your Campaigns & Services Officer ranging from Orientation to fees, from freshers to Paying homage to one of UL's Legends

Feel Free to contact me at any time with feedback comments and any other bits and bobs you think is relevant... Or even irrelevant... I love a good chuckle me....:D

Is mise le meas,

Paddy

Paddy Rockett

061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie

all gone very quiet about freshers week.

So I assume nothing major is planned then............:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hi all heres some more info around Orientation Review, Positivity, Fresher-fest, M&Ms and Giving it a go!!!

As always feel free to leave any comment or questions they are all appreciated.

Tell me what you think of the Line-up for next week too.

:D
    Is mise le meas,

Paddy

Paddy Rockett

061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie

Advertisement