Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGDE Teaching Practice Grades

• 29-06-2011 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Recently got a place on the UCD PGDE for September:D. Just heard that if you only get a D in your teaching practice you only get a pass overall despite getting high grades in your course work. Is this true? and if so is it the same with all PGDE course providers? I'd be devastated if I put so much work in to something to only get a pass. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I dont know if its true for every college but its definitely the case for UCD. If you put work in you won't get a D. Keep up with your lesson plans and don't put on a show for when the inspector arrives and you will do fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Thanks for responding. Any advice for the year?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The 6 Ps.

Proper Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance.

and turn up to all the lectures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I dont know if its true for every college but its definitely the case for UCD. If you put work in you won't get a D. Keep up with your lesson plans and don't put on a show for when the inspector arrives and you will do fine.

I got a D+ in my teaching grade and therefore only got a pass due to a supervisor being on a power trip. The first class she came to, the kid sitting beside her took a bite from a mars bar when I was writing on the board, she gave me a bollocking for that :rolleyes:. She again gave me a hard time after the next visit. I mentioned that I was getting a hard time from her to my two co-operating teachers. They both had been in my class plenty of times and were very happy with me. One of them said they would have a chat with my supervisor the next time she was in, just to give feedback as to how I was doing as they were witnessing my teaching everyday. At the end of the next visit my co-operating teacher did have a chat with my supervisor. Afterwards when my supervisor got me alone she had a go at me and said it was unporfessional of me to get the co-operating teacher to speak on my behalf:mad:. I worked my arse off in that year, kept completly up to date with my lesson plans and got very positive feedback from my school. I had the drawback of my supervisor coming to the exact same class at the exact same time period for each visit (my toughest class) which I felt was very unfair. It is one of my biggest regrets in life that I didn't stand up to her and report her to the powers that be at UCD while I was still there. There have been interviews in the past where they have asked about my pass grade and I have wished the ground would open up for me. All ill say is that if you are not happy with your supervisor, speak up. All my hard work with my lessons plans, exams and subject work in UCD was destroyed by this woman on a power trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

I did the dip a few years ago and certainly one thing that stood out was dont do anything to make your supervisor dislike you. I am sure there are many supervisors who are impartial and fair but to be on the safe side i would advise (i got a first) ...

Listen to whatever they say. If they say you are doing something wrong but you dont agree just bite your tongue and at the next visit create an opportunity to show them that you have taken on board what he/ahe has said.

In your reflective practice journal harp on about how great it is to have someone obseve your teaching pratise ... The advice you are receiving is invaluable etc!!

Try to identfy and mimick your supervisor's teaching style - at least while he or she is in the room....Especially important if your styles are polar opposites.

If you want to be a hero and do things your own way... Good luck to you... And you never know you may be lucky enough to have a supervisor who admires that sort of thing.

One last thing to remember... Sometimes supervisors actually do know more than the dip students!! I didnt agree with my supervisor's way of doing things but after a few years in the field I find myself doing things more in line with her ethos becuse it works!!

Best of luck

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope you held your head high in those interviews
    Maynooth Rules and told them exactly what a great teacher you really are. It's amazing how quickly they judge a person by random 40 minute classes. You would think if a supervisor knew that someone was struggling on a D, they would work with them to bring it up to a C.

If anyone from any of the other PGDE uni's could tell me if the TP grade can affect your overall grade in this way please tell me.

Did the dip in ucc and people ( other students) used to say that your tp supervisor would determine your overall grade. However your crossover has a say also. So if your supervisor puts you at a 2.1 your crossover could argue for a first if he was v impressed wit you... Or a second if he was not!

Sorry what's a crossover? If you were on a D+ as Maynooth rules had with the rest of your pgde grades being a 2:1 , would they look to bring it up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

One thing I would say about the PGDE from experience is that the only grade across the course that really matters to employers is your TP grade. That really is the only thing that justifies massive work - the portfolio is hugely talked-up given what it counts for in the end. (I went to UCD by the way)

The business of TP & supervisors is a difficult area. as there are so many potential variables in terms of classes' standard and behaviour, not to mention supervisor personalities.

And there is also a lack of honesty from supervisors sometimes. Like that kid eating the mars bar...WTF? How exactly are you supposed to prevent that or see it if it happens behind your back? It is utterly unrealistic for a supervisor to sit at the back of a room and assume they are looking at a class through the teacher's eyes. If I (or any teacher) was to stop and react to every less-than-ideal moment from students we could put away the books and just get the sandbags out because it'd be a constant battle.

I remember in one class during my Dip where my tutor was present, she mentioned that I was a bit less than assertive in putting one guy in his place as he was chatting/messing. But that was done without knowledge of the relationship that was already there. Chewing the head off someone did not go on in the class as it did not need to go on.

But my one real beef with the whole business was not having a notion of the TP grade until the results came out. I really think there should be a more specific indicator of grade - if not immediately after the class when things are still raw, then at some over the following few weeks. While it could be argued that it puts unecessary pressure on the teacher if things are not great (I think this is a strong argument to some extent) it would get around the possibility that a supervisor is using woolly language to avoid being challenged when giving feedback and is not being as candid as they should. Given that someone has to carry that grade with them for the rest of their days irrespective of how they might develop themselves/mature or change/improve as a teacher, there should be more openness on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What I would say about TP and nutty supervisors is not to keep it to yourself. If you feel that you have a grievance with a Supervisor then definitely let your College Class Rep know. They will raise your concerns (without naming you initially if you want) with course co-ordinator and head of faculty at any time.
    The year I did my dip i there were the odd one or two nut job Supervisors, I think most genuine cases were resolved although the TP grade didn;t come out till after the year was over.. The faculty were keen to hear about and act on these things, although I did find that some nutty Supervisors were really nice to some students and took a set against others.. If enough complaints are made eventually the supervisor wont be asked back.

• Advertisement

Sorry what's a crossover? If you were on a D+ as Maynooth rules had with the rest of your pgde grades being a 2:1 , would they look to bring it up ?

Crossover = you have 5 supervisor visits (ucc) one of those is done by a different supervisor. This way you get a second person to confirm your grade.

Sorry do not know anything about maynooth.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Not sure I want to risk getting a bad supervisor to be honest . Opinions differ and if I do something in a class to diffuse a situation (for example knowing something about a students background that causes me to respond differently that I would normally if a student misbehaves like when I was subbing). The supervisor may disagree , Mqy choose not to mention it and I'll not know until the results come out . That's ridiculous in this day and age . I have an offer for Qub and from what I'm hearing I'm inclined to stick with that one for the reputation and support I'd receive there. I understand that I'd have to do the history of ed exam but i'd rather be guareenteed help and realistic advice if I needed it .

Advertisement