Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking about butchering an 1887 Winchester 10 gauge

Options
  • 29-06-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Its already been refinished, poorly

dscn7349.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg?aa=20110629072003

Should I cut it down to this?

1887_01.jpg

(actually I have a spare barrel and stock set, so it can be returned to standard config easily)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

First thought was "Oh sweet suffering cats, why???" at the aesthetics of it.
    'Course, if you did that over here, it'd be on the restricted list immediately at least, and depending on the final length of barrel and overall length, would either change classification to a restricted short firearm (and thus be unlicencable) or it'd be an actual criminal offence under the Firearms Act to make...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

You will also need the correct clothes, boots, and motorcycle to go with that:
    165192.jpg

:D

Normally, I'd throw my hands up in horror at the very thought of doing this, but given where you are and that you have the bits to return it to original if you want, I say go for it.
    Don't forget to modify the lever loop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Go for it :)

You can turn it back to origional so why not !

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Sparks wrote: »
    First thought was "Oh sweet suffering cats, why???" at the aesthetics of it.
    'Course, if you did that over here, it'd be on the restricted list immediately at least, and depending on the final length of barrel and overall length, would either change classification to a restricted short firearm (and thus be unlicencable) or it'd be an actual criminal offence under the Firearms Act to make...

Here in the states, the barrel needs to be >18 inches and the overall length >26 so I should be legally fine.
    Funny thing is a rifles barrel only needs to be over 16 inches.
    Why the difference? They changed the law for rifles from 18 to 16 inches so they could sell surplus M1 carbines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Don't norinco already do a copy of the 1887 ? It would be a pity to chop it up if you could buy a cheapo chinese one and butcher that one instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

rowa wrote: »
    Don't norinco already do a copy of the 1887 ? It would be a pity to chop it up if you could buy a cheapo chinese one and butcher that one instead.

theres an import ban on guns from China in the USA

harmoniums wrote: »

Why is that ? Protectionism ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

If you are ever in the States, drive by some seaports. You will see mountains of containers, originating from China. With such a trade imbalance, it does not pay to send the containers back to China, just let them sit or AIP - abandon in place.

The irony is that I can buy just about anything cheap from China, except their guns!:mad:
    rowa wrote: »
    Why is that ? Protectionism ?
    This was the policy of Clinton circa 1994. Clinton renewed China's status as most favored nation in return for ceasing to import military guns. Now I cannot buy that coach gun! Kind of makes that coach I bought strange looking. :rolleyes:

That's not to say that Bush did much either to help imports. Bush up'd the ante by banning Norincos. At least, however, the allegations were that Norinco sold missiles to Iran.

As for Harmoniums - HERESY!!!:D How dare you consider butchering such a fine American firearm!

Slan.

The height of the comb in relation to the top of the barrel always looks huge on that particular model , is it as bad as it looks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Sacrilege to even contimplate the thought.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'd also be very careful in Kalifornika of running afoul of some law on owning a short barrelled shotgun.Not to mind the BATFE..
    Eventhough it is within the 18in minimum barrel length ,you would want to make sure it keeps an overall length a "tad over 26ins.Just to be sure to be sure.
    They can get right funny about somthing like this,as in theory you are making a pistol out of a shotgun.If it goes below 18ins and overall length of 26 ins,you have a short barrelled shotgun,and have to register it as a class 3[?] weapon,fill in lots of paperwork,give fingerprints and $200 usd to the Feds.BEFORE you touch the gun to convert it.If I remember rightly Kali isnt a class 3 state either:(.

OTOH,if it is being built as a Any Other Weapon[Great catch all group].
    Which in this case you would need a reciver that has been registerd as a pistol by the manufacturer.In that case you can build the gun in the 18in,pistol gripped version and all you owe the Feds is 5 dollars!:eek:

Bit difficult with a gun gone out of production about 125 years ago.
    Unless some enterprising soul is making these,or you know a machine shop gunsmith who could run you one up,and you could then use the parts no problem,or convert it back and forth no problem.As you can convert a pistol to a rifle[provided the barrel is over 18 ins in a smoothbore].But not vice versa.And it would be on a registerd pistol reciver.

FWIW,I would get some serious legal advice on this one,even a letter from your local BATFE office [for what ever THAT is worth from that shower of idiots:(].Before I make one move to do anything with that project.

OTOH if it is doable..Why the FK not!!:D:D.
    Make sure you get a wide handled lever,so you can learn to spin load it single handed ala Arnie ,and show us a video of it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

harmoniums wrote: »

Should I cut it down to this?

Definitely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

steve-mcqueen-wanted.jpg

Never knew they came as shotguns, explains T2

I deffo thing it would look well in the saddle bad of a HOG Stateside

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Actually though this model is imported, by Interstate Arms:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Interstate+Arms+87W

I think the ban doesn't apply to shotguns or something?

In any case, if you have a spare barrel and stock and you are sure of the legal situation, why the hell not?
    Never knew they came as shotguns, explains T2

The funny thing is, they created that model shown in the picture (the Mare's Leg) just for the TV show. It's a cut down Winchester 1892. But now you can buy a replica of that exact rifle, it's called the Rossi Ranch Hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

If you do you will have to change your name to Bubba !:D

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    If you do you will have to change your name to Bubba !:D

+1, you'll be chopping up mauser 98's and lee enfields into sporters next !

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhcossie

do since you have the bits to restore it to its full glory

Advertisement