Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 1490T setup

Options
  • 29-06-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Hello
    Does anyone have any advice on setting up a Garmin 1490T? I've never had a Sat Nav before and after a lot research that consistently ended in a sore head I finally settled, rightly or wrongly on the 1490T.

It wont arrive for a couple of days (could not get it locally unfortunately) but I'm just wondering if there are any do's and dont's when setting it up for the first time. You know things like if you do A before B its a lot simpler.

One of the reasons that I went for the 1490T was that it has route capabilities so I hope to plan some (European) routes at my computer (a Mac) and download to the Garmin. At least I hope thats how the routing works :D

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Routing is handy, one should be able to transfer a route via a computer, I did not get around to doing that.

It is not very robust unfortunately, and it loses signal all too easily so you need to have it out on the dash [it'll lose signal on a cloudy day!!!!].

You may load several routes 9 of them but you need to keep them simple and limit your points to 11 or less. It freezes if you try to add too many.

You probably could not get it locally because it's probably out of production, a few faults have arisen, the weak antenna, the freezing and unexpected shut downs.

Firmware somewhat addresses these issues so out of the box, register it and get the latest firmware.

It is a nice unit and another feature is the QWERTY keyboard option, this makes it SOOO much easier to program, otherwise it is a side step rather than a step forward for a top end model. it has no external antenna socket and no hot docking ~ the lack of hot docking is a real pain, for a top end unit that is.

I got mine 'end of Line' in February for €150 and worked it hard delivering confirmation pictures all over Munster ~ pretty handy but one more item to look out for ~

It is the worst Sat Nav I've ever used for insisting on going back to the starting point to continue a route and insisting in taking the LONG way and it just loves right turns, and in this model too, one cannot 'avoid right turns' so keep an eye on that if you know where you are going as it does not like recalculating ~ though, that said, it will eventually recalculate the correct route.

I love the big screen and faster processor and the options for your clock display, direction travelling, altitude, ETA or time to destination. I've given mine some extremely hard tasks, like finding individual farmhouses and it did cope pretty well, I'm sure it's not designed for the usage I gave it, so I think it will eat up Europe no bother.

Advertisement