Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens names - a means of identity or class/culture asperations?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

lynski wrote: »
    does anyone understand the Max/Sam connection? I have come across at least 3 families with boys named Max/Sam - no idea why they go together

They really wanted dogs instead of children :D
    Jake, Charlie and Oscar are also yelled around the park everyday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

lynski wrote: »
    does anyone understand the Max/Sam connection? I have come across at least 3 families with boys named Max/Sam - no idea why they go together

They're 'power' names.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My daughter's name is in the top 100 for boys but doesn't feature for girls.
    Her middle name doesn't feature at all.

She was named for a rock musician, because we liked the name and it was the only thing we could agree on tbh.

Her second name was just one my girlfriend thought was pretty and I liked it when she suggested it.

I like that she has an unusual name but wouldn't be entirely surprised if she decides to go by her middle name in her teens as it's more stereotypically "feminine" than her first name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Triangla wrote: »
    In Irish folklore there was a heroine named Emer, spelt Emer. The Irish naval service named ships after ancient Irish heroines hence LE Emer.

Neither of those are relevant to determining the correct spelling of the name. Emer would have have been written in Ogham, not our Latin alphabet. The spellings we use are just phonetic translations into our alphabet, neither is specifically "right" or "wrong."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I am just amazed that people look at their newborn and *still* say "I know let's call him Jack" :D

I have two boys neither of their names are in the top 100, and if I am very honest I am glad of that. There is a world of names out there and if 60 odd % of Irish parents only pick from 100 names well then originality surely is on the wane.

I was going to post the same thing. For the love of god parents, stop calling your kids Jack! The amount of "Jacks" that my friends have is unreal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

We are trying to find something classy but not overly popular.. I dont want to go with a different name for the sake of being different either... We also dont like the new faddy names... Its a struggle :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I was going to post the same thing. For the love of god parents, stop calling your kids Jack! The amount of "Jacks" that my friends have is unreal

If I ever have a boy, he will be Jack :p Never was really any other boys names in the running for me!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Was at a kid's birthday party on Sunday and there were 3 James' there in total (mine included). I hadn't met anyone with a James before naming our lad and now we hear it everywhere - probably the same principle as when you buy a new car and then you see the same model everywhere.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We are trying to find something classy but not overly popular.. I dont want to go with a different name for the sake of being different either... We also dont like the new faddy names... Its a struggle :rolleyes:

Go with Jacob. Like Jack but with more ob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Every time i hear of jack i think of jack sugden of emerdale...... not a pretty image :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Jackanory would be a good mixture of the popular and cutting-edge.

His or her mates can sing What's the story, Jackanory? as part the playground japes that are such a valuable social bonding tool.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Every time i hear of jack i think of jack sugden of emerdale...... not a pretty image :(

I think of Jack Donaghy
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Grawns wrote: »
    I have a Bridget :D- no family connection. We're bringing it back into fashion. Mind you it's very popular in My big fat Gypsy wedding :eek:

My neighbours have a 3 year old called Bríd. It's lovely to see names that would normally have been associated as being old fashioned being given a new breath of life.:)
    Paparazzo wrote: »

My uncle had a son called Jack in September 2009, and he was named after his uncle (as in, my uncle's uncle:P) so it was in the family. It really suited the baby tbh. I think it's a lovely name. Unfortunately, Jack died in April 2010, so I expect it's a name that will eventually become a family heirloom in his remembrance in the next generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

mike65 wrote: »
    Childrens names - a means of identity or class/culture asperations?

Yes & No.

Personally we chose names that suited our surname, identity & culture, and many people do this either consiously or subconsiously, but then there are other people who choose a name for their child because of the sound of the name (no interest of meaning or origin), or because they wish to name their child after a friend or pop star, we have friends here who called their little girl Cerys, for no other reason than the fact thay they love Cerys Matthews (Welsh singer). For middle names we used our grandparents names = tradition & to keep their memory alive.

PS; I think its a lovely name, but not for us . . .

Advertisement