Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pay relativity + unfair employment contract?

Options
  • 29-06-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know the legal position on this?

Where I work they are recruiting for new workers at the same salary band that I am on, the starting salary for these new workers is 6k a year more than I am currently on despite having worked in the job for 3 years. The jobs they are doing are interchangable (although there is a different job title) with the jobs we are doing and they are being trained in by people who are earning less than the people they are training.

Recently they advertised for more staff with the new job title and everyone in my department applied for those those jobs. When the employer realised that there was a high demand for these jobs, they withdrew the jobs, changed the job title and reduced the offered salary for the new roles to the lowest starting salary in our band.

basically, is there any way we can argue for pay relativity in that the employers (a large multinational) are paying different staff significantly different wages to do essentially the same jobs.

Also, our job description is constantly changing, our hours of work are being unilaterally changed, we are being moved to different posts within the department but with no change in salary because the contract of employment says:
    "The company may, at any time, on giving you reasonable notice, require you to undertake any additional work or different duties, which fall under your capabilities (which for the avoidance of doubt may unvolve a permanent change in job title)"

In other words, are we being treated unfairly because our contract of employment does not list any specific duties and we can be asked to do anything they want for no extra reward?

Advertisement