Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation for a gate column

• 29-06-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

I am building gate columns to the front of my drive. They will be stone faced and will prob be 2 x block on flat per layer so will be approx 17" x 17" square and 5ft high. Stone will be added at a later date to face the blockwork.

Just wondering if anyone had some guidance on depth and size of foundation for these columns. I found a lot of advice for small walls but nothing for this so far.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

will prob go 2 ft down and 3ft square so - :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

I am building gate columns to the front of my drive. They will be stone faced and will prob be 2 x block on flat per layer so will be approx 17" x 17" square and 5ft high. Stone will be added at a later date to face the blockwork.

Just wondering if anyone had some guidance on depth and size of foundation for these columns. I found a lot of advice for small walls but nothing for this so far.

thanks in advance

How heavy are the gates? What material? I would dig out a foundation out for each gatepost until stable ground and a trench to link the two. Fit reinforcing bar between the 2 gateposts so that the bars are bent upwards inside the 2 gate piers. Concrete all this for the foundation, and leave the bars sticking up vertical. Let it set and then lay blocks as normal and then fill the inside with concrete.

The cross link and reinforcing will stop the gateposts from leaning inwards and would be a good job if the gates are heavy. If you used just blocks I think a heavy gate could break the piers. Don't forget to fit ducting for lighting or intercom if needed.

James:)

Advertisement