Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did your child go to Ring?

Options
  • 29-06-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Dear All
    We are thinking of sending our child to Colaiste na Rinne, as its the nearest, to improve their Irish.
    What was your experience of Ring? Did your child enjoy it? Did their Irish improve?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My older boy went to Ring last year at the end of 2nd year. He had an absolute ball, his Irish did improve and he met a cailin from Kilkenny ;).

He stayed with a Bean an Ti with a group of friends, the Bean an Ti was the complete opposite from my day when I went to Spiddeal and my outstanding memory 33 years later is of a mean old woman and feeling hungry the whole time which is similiar to how the one in the ketchup ad is portrayed. His Bean an Ti had a beautiful home, all bedrooms had en-suites, they were well fed with 2 dinners a day, all lovely home cooking and baking.

I don't think Ring is as strict as some of the other colleges but then I didn't want such a strict place for his first time at the Gaelteacht either though it still issued sanctions if needed. He got to come home for 1 night one of the weekends.

The standard text that he and his friends sent how was "having a great time, food great, 2 dinners a day better than home" :rolleyes:

I'm going to send his younger brother next year. The Bean an Ti was a much better option than staying in the college itself.

If you want the name of the Bean an Ti that he stayed with just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Noon

Thanks for your reply Deisemum. Good to hear your son had a good experience whilst improving his Irish!!! We are actually thinking of sending ours to board for a year at the college itself.....:confused:

My son's friend and former classmate did that for 6th class. I'll get him to find out what he thought of it later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

I boarded there for a year quite a number of years ago. Almost a quarter of a decade later and my Irish is still relatively good.

Well worth it for improving your child's level of Irish but also for forming character. That said if your child is outgoing they will probably have a better experience than if they are shy or reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Noon

Thanks Deisemum and Yi Harr

• Advertisement

My son told me his friend enjoyed 6th class in Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭rynners

Ring is a great place to send your child for a year. Both myself and my siblings still have friends in our lives that we met in Ring, decades on. Ring gave us all a head start on others of a similar age.

Advertisement