Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alarm System Wired with Wireless

Options
  • 29-06-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I would like to get an alarm system installed at my mother’s house. it’s a 40 year old standard 3 bed Semi with single story extension at the back.(Not Prewired)..I don’t think i'd be completely keen on full wireless, would it be possible to have internal/external bell + keypad + 1 hall PIR wired up to the mains and just have wireless sensor’s on the windows and doors ?? I was just reading another posters issues with batteries running low on his Wireless Sabb whilst having LED’s on permanently and now can't get his sabb working after changing batteries?, sounds like stress I don’t need in the future! :p

I would prefer a stand alone system that can send out an SMS if triggered, she has a working eircom landline installed also.
    Could anybody recommend a suitable system for me please. allot of people i’ve been talking too tell me the HKC system is the one to go for ?

I would also like to get a pro in to do the job, what prices are we looking at ?

Downstairs – PVC Halldoor, PVC Livingroom window 4 openings – Backdoor and kitchen window (2 openings) are 1 unit
    and 1 sliding Alum patio door.

I would also like 2 accessible windows upstairs covered, 1 window (back of house) has 4 openings and the other 1 opening.
    Somebody actually tried to break in through this window in the past but were disturbed thank god.

thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

There is a second battery pack that goes in the bell now that will keep the LEDs flashing for 3 years. If you want you could always wire a wired bell on the system also.

The new HKC plug on is to be released soon so it will work out cheaper than the HKC GSM-P

Price wise your better off getting a few installers in to give you a site survey comparing like with like.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

mark17j wrote: »
    I would like to get an alarm system installed at my mother’s house. it’s a 40 year old standard 3 bed Semi with single story extension at the back.(Not Prewired)..I don’t think i'd be completely keen on full wireless, would it be possible to have internal/external bell + keypad + 1 hall PIR wired up to the mains and just have wireless sensor’s on the windows and doors ??
    Siemens or HKC would be your best option on a hybrid system.
    I was just reading another posters issues with batteries running low on his Wireless Sabb whilst having LED’s on permanently and now can't get his sabb working after changing batteries?, sounds like stress I don’t need in the future! :p
    Its always preferable to use a wired bell. Even on a fully wireless system like Visonic there is an option to wire permanant power to the SABB

I would prefer a stand alone system that can send out an SMS if triggered, she has a working eircom landline installed also.
    Text is possible via Eircom or Vodafone lines.

I would also like to get a pro in to do the job, what prices are we looking at ?

Downstairs – PVC Halldoor, PVC Livingroom window 4 openings – Backdoor and kitchen window (2 openings) are 1 unit
    and 1 sliding Alum patio door.

I would also like 2 accessible windows upstairs covered, 1 window (back of house) has 4 openings and the other 1 opening.
    Somebody actually tried to break in through this window in the past but were disturbed thank god.

thanks
    M

I would recommend getting 3 independent quotes & ensure you are quoting like with like.
    A hybrid system seems to suit your needs. As I said the HKC or Siemens/SigNET would do the job.
    Siemens would be my personal preference . Feature wise it a bit better, others may tell you different.
    When getting quotes ensure all call out and do a proper survey. This prevents any surprises later on.

Advertisement