Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Keyes doesn't take kindly to internet forums

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Well we can't confirm unless Dermot himself tells us, but at least we know his opinions of forums in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm sorry dayshah but you can't seriously think that he meant anyone but us. Facebook doesn't have "pages" and you tube had nowhere near 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

He actually has a point, but that's kinda the way internet forums are. The quality of discussions and stuff is down to the site and those who work on it. Boards.ie Waterford Forum is one of the few Waterford based discussion forums that have lasted, and for a reason. I personally have always felt that the quality of discussions here were much better and I guess that reason is down to the Guidelines moderators are told to enforce and hence resulting in a very successful site and business adventure.

Some of the ****e in that thread and ones in the past were disgraceful. I think the right call was made locking it and the one today, because all people do is speculate and start naming names that have no connection with it at all. At least one of those YouTube videos was removed, and they don't remove videos lightly.

Perhaps more of an effort could have been made at the time to keep the heat from boiling over, which it did, but everyone learns and it will improve in the event of a similar thread being created.

Digital Media comes with a price, sadly, and that will never change. Its how its controlled is where the balance is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »
    I would imagine the only reason he didn't name us was because of the chance that Boards.ie would take legal action against him.

Now that would have been a turn for the books!

May not want to give us the attention. All publicity is good publicity as the saying goes, and plugging us will see loads flocking onto the site. Only those who use it often, will have an idea who he is on about.

BTID and MadBlaa would have been FAR worse, if they were still about, at reporting this story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

I would imagine the only reason he didn't name us was because of the chance that Boards.ie would take legal action against him.

Now that would have been a turn for the books!

A cynic might wonder if he didnt name them for fear of the site being even more peoples source of info the next time around? And the print media being even more of an afterthought.

But hey, there is no cynical people around here :)

As much as the article is after grinding me gears I'd appreciate if we didn't go down the abuse line. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Do not post abuse about anyone on the site. We are held responsible for everything you say, and you will also be held responsible, so be civil. If you can't do that, go tell a family member or neighbour instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

takola wrote: »
    Do not post abuse about anyone on the site. We are held responsible for everything you say, and you will also be held responsible, so be civil. If you can't do that, go tell a family member or neighbour instead.

My neighbour is pretty pissed that I knocked on his door at 10 to 1 to bitch about the local media's view on internet forums....:(

My neighbour is pretty pissed that I knocked on his door at 10 to 1 to bitch about the local media's view on internet forums....:(

Well feel free to let me him send me a PM of complaint. Everyone else is doing it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Wait, so he's allowed call us gob****es but we're not allowed call him a gob****e? Which if I was to call him, I'd take full responsibility for.

Wait, so he's allowed call us gob****es but we're not allowed call him a gob****e? Which if I was to call him, I'd take full responsibility for.

Exactly. Feel free to say such to your mates, or whoever, but on boards.ie, you can't because he can get us into trouble, and in doing so, can get you into trouble. It's all clearly laid out in the terms and agreement you agree to when you sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

16 pages?? lol Keyes you n00b

change the setting to 40 per page maaaaaaan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

He didnt call us gob****es, he called "certain internet forums'" members as gob****es

Completely off topic and unrelated, Do you know what Local newspaper I hate? The ******* *******!!!

I wouldn't like to see us sink to name calling anyway. You know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ziedth wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to see us sink to name calling anyway. You know?

We would never do that. Not to the people in news and star who love us.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

He didnt call us gob****es, he called "certain internet forums'" members as gob****es

Completely off topic and unrelated, Do you know what Local newspaper I hate? The ******* *******!!!

God i really hate that newspaper aswell, full of gob****es!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

This attitude just smacks of someone in the media being left behind and feeling slightly bitter about it. There will always be a place for newspapers as they can provide in-depth reviews of news and events but it's no longer good enough to simply point out the rough details of what happened as that'll have been done, as the event unfolds, online. With the advent of smartphones, it's almost guaranteed that if something noteworthy happens, it'll be posted somewhere online very quickly.

Simply put: If I need to find out about something that's happening in Waterford, I'll use this forum; if I need to find out about something that happened in Waterford, I'll get a local paper (although I'm less likely to get The Munster Express all of a sudden).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Thankfully the stand-off didn't turn ugly and public safety didn't become an issue but this was the only place that had information about the location of the stand-off which i'm sure members of the public, dermot keyes included, would've been very grateful for had there been a less positive outcome and the area needed to be avoided.

No doubt in my mind he's talking about our forum. Maybe he does feel left behind but that is the nature of the internet forum. A forum like ours with high traffic moves fast that in turn creates more traffic.

If you're reading this week dermot and looking for more material for your column, jog on!

So I finally read the article (I didn't buy the paper) and I'm just astounded at how uncalled for the whole thing is. I can't see what our little forum did to piss this guy off, like generally we are what? 25/30 regular posters and allot of lurkers who get I'd imagine allot of info off the forum. We're not exactly going to change the world with our discussions.

I for one will be buying the news and star from now on. At least they like us.

One final point I'd like to touch on before I don't give this a second thought Is he mentions that we gave "sensationalist coverage" of the incident. When? I'll agree that some of the jokes (although IMO fine) did come close to the line of being bad taste that thread from what I can see was pretty much accurate. The only time it was mentioned about shots being fired was when it seemingly went up on WLR and rest seemed to be accurate up to the minute account of what was going on.

So I wish the paper well as I do with any local business and I hope they trade successfully forever but I'm now a news and star man.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    So I finally read the article (I didn't buy the paper)
    I can picture you in the shop, in front of the mags, opening the paper....reading for a bit...mumbling "...bull...shite..." and walking off.

I can picture you in the shop, in front of the mags, opening the paper....reading for a bit...mumbling "...bull...shite..." and walking off.

This maybe a very accurate account of what happened :) I did buy a bottle of coke though I couldn't see the shop suffer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Print media is dying and dinosaurs like that oul lad are on their way out.
    That " dinosaur " is only in his early to mid 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 the_bigman

Daysha wrote: »
    local print is the safest of all of them. Certainly for the time being.

Don't think that's true. The safest are the big papers that have the resources to adapt to internet and double up.

Local papers are in MASSIVE trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

People like him are terrified that they're being rendered obsolete. Who needs to wait on a newspaper to tell you about things that happened yesterday when you can discuss what's happening now on the internet.

Print media is dying and dinosaurs like that oul lad are on their way out.

Yes I could not agree more. I think journalists like Mr Keyes should get off their high horse and come in to modern times. It seems like he is stuck in the antediluvian period. It's just another example of print media etc being out of touch. I won't be buying the "Munster Excuse" in future.

Print media is dead.......long live print media :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Boards made it into the Munster Express!!
    mr-burns-excellent.jpg

Mod Note

Jesus you would swear the paper picked out certain users and targeted them personally the way people are reacting. Stop with the personal abuse. I don't care what the paper said, or who wrote what, we won't have people throwing out abusive remarks. This is not the first time a mod has said this.

Its funny, because parts of this thread backs up the point raised in his article. He knocks the "Live" coverage because some people went wild and start spreading rumours and false accusations. Naming names, posting of videos of the distressed family, brandishing insults towards him etc. Print media cant do that, unless your a dirty tabloid, and to be honest neither can we.

We are just as restricted and the mods are here to also watch out for such and clean it up before it gets out of control.

I had no issues with how it was discussed here.

People posted what they heard, gave updates from the scene and provided images and videos.

At no time did anyone mention the man's name, and everyone agreed (by thanking Ziedth's post) that he shouldn't be named.
    Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note

Jesus you would swear the paper picked out certain users and targeted them personally the way people are reacting. Stop with the personal abuse. I don't care what the paper said, or who wrote what, we won't have people throwing out abusive remarks. This is not the first time a mod has said this.
    I agree, anybody trying to get away with personal abuse against the guy is just making fools of themselves. My issue was with the article and the opinions he raised in it, and his views on the matter. I have no issues with Dermot Keyes living at home wherever.
    But from the opinion he's expressing in the article, you'd swear we set out to make the situation a big circus, point fun at everything and that it was all down to the internet forums.
    Its funny, because parts of this thread backs up the point raised in his article. He knocks the "Live" coverage because some people went wild and start spreading rumours and false accusations. Naming names, posting of videos of the distressed family, brandishing insults towards him etc. Print media cant do that, unless your a dirty tabloid, and to be honest neither can we.
    He also says that those posting online about it saw it as nothing but a form of entertainment. The story started as rumour, then it was confirmed.
    We didn't name names, post videos of the family(how would we even know who they were!?) and tbh insults are not allowed, but everyone was entitled to their opinion on the matter and to say "If you're up on a rooftop with a gun in a stand-off with the guards, there must be something wrong with you."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I was in his class in school. Am I famous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

wlr named him the following day

Advertisement