Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help....yes, I am an idiot :)

Options
  • 29-06-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Sooooooo,

After having my new rifle for less than 24 hours I have jammed a DEACTIVATED round inside in it.

A friend asked me to show them the bolt action, and rather than chamber a live round I put in a deactivated 5.56. Physically it looks identical to a live .223 so being an idiot I chambered it. Now the bolt is stuck fully forward but 'up'.

I've tried giving it as much effort as I feel is safe but don't want to damage my bolt head so stopped.

Any ideas how to get this out short of brining it to a gunsmith? On the bright side at least it isn't a live round....although then this never would have happened :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Arcto wrote: »
    Sooooooo,

After having my new rifle for less than 24 hours I have jammed a DEACTIVATED round inside in it.

A friend asked me to show them the bolt action, and rather than chamber a live round I put in a deactivated 5.56. Physically it looks identical to a live .223 so being an idiot I chambered it. Now the bolt is stuck fully forward but 'up'.

I've tried giving it as much effort as I feel is safe but don't want to damage my bolt head so stopped.

Any ideas how to get this out short of brining it to a gunsmith? On the bright side at least it isn't a live round....although then this never would have happened :P

use a cleaning rod, and gingerly from the barrel end; gently tap the round rearwards
    ********ONLY AS IT IS A DEACTIVATED ROUND SHOULD THIS BE ATTEMPTED*********
    The Extractor claw could be broken if you put too much force on the bolt
    + Spray some WD40 with the straw attachment around the bolt/chamber if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Thanks.

The bolt is still in the gun....so maybe tapping while gently pulling back on the bolt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I don't know my a55 from my elbow with guns but maybe mounting the gun vertically so gravity gives it a pull out too?

Thanks.

The bolt is still in the gun....so maybe tapping while gently pulling back on the bolt?

Yes, GENTLY

It's easier for round to go rearward than forward.
    As they say down home "that'll learn ya"

Being SUPER careful with the Muzzle crown
    Perhaps easier to do with help.
    Would I trust someone enough to stand in front of a firearm that can not be proved clear? :eek:
    Spray WD40 down the barrel to as it might help, although I imagine it's teh shoulder that is wedged rather than the "bullet" as most inert that I have seen are prior fired rounds.

That doesn't seem to work either. Damn it anyway. There's a small bit of up and down play (not back and forth) on the bolt so I guess your right about the shoulder being stuck.

To the gunsmith?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

tap the bolt back with a nylon hammer the worst thatll happen is you might break the extractor claw,but make sure that the bolt is in the fully "up" position

How much is a new claw? Tikka Tac...roughly?

Don't have a nylon hammer so I'll use some soft wood as shock absorber. Would penetrating oil be better at this stage than wd40/ac90?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Sooooooo,

5.56 Does NOT equal .223. spray WD 40 down barrel, stand the rifle on it's butt, leave for one hour, insert cleaning rod into barrel from muzzle, tap gently, this may well push the round (and bolt) back as long as it is "up", don't know if this will release the lugs on the bolt head but it may well do as the bolt is back from the barrel, let us know how yo you get on:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Success!

Put a piece of 1/2 inch pipe insulation on the bolt and tapped her down. Dummy round popped out with it's head gone back into it. I then cycled 4 live rounds through it.

The up and down action on the bolt seems stiffer, even though it's currently swimming in ac90. Possibly fail point in the future?

Thank you very much Tack and .243!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

Success!

Put a piece of 1/2 inch pipe insulation on the bolt and tapped her down. Dummy round popped out with it's head gone back into it. I then cycled 4 live rounds through it.

The up and down action on the bolt seems stiffer, even though it's currently swimming in ac90. Possibly fail point in the future?

Thank you very much Tack and .243!

the up and down movement could be stiff due to crap in the recoil lug area,a good blow out with a compressor should sort it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhcossie

try pushing it back with a cleaning rod

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭DJandDeid

He's got it out already.................:)

As a follow up the stiffness was gone completely when I took it out for a shoot the next day.

The moral of the story: Don't put anything besides approved rounds into the rifle :pac:

Got a P7 the other day but the weathers been to crap to take it out and I am still waiting on my mod to come into my local. Anyone know if a WildCat will fit straight over a an already threaded barrel or will it have to be milled out?

As a follow up the stiffness was gone completely when I took it out for a shoot the next day.

The moral of the story: Don't put anything besides approved rounds into the rifle :pac:

Got a P7 the other day but the weathers been to crap to take it out and I am still waiting on my mod to come into my local. Anyone know if a WildCat will fit straight over a an already threaded barrel or will it have to be milled out?

Find out what your barrel thread is and the mod, my Rifles are 5/8" UNF but there are 1/2 " and Metric versions out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Find out what your barrel thread is and the mod, my Rifles are 5/8" UNF but there are 1/2 " and Metric versions out there.

It's 18x1 as the rifle is a tikka tac.

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    It's 18x1 as the rifle is a tikka tac.

Oh I forgot, It's a Tikka masala :)
    I wonder where he bought it!

lol @ Tac and Paulo :P

Funny thing is, I told the shop keep that it was an M18 to 1 (that's actually the way I said it, heh) and he said that with a T8 there's a little ring that might have to be milled out on the suppressor itself, which I found odd.

He went on to say that the Tikka supplier recommends Wildcat's for all Tikka's so I caved to peer pressure and went with that. I'm a sucker for trends :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

lol @ Tac and Paulo :P

Funny thing is, I told the shop keep that it was an M18 to 1 (that's actually the way I said it, heh) and he said that with a T8 there's a little ring that might have to be milled out on the suppressor itself, which I found odd.

S
    He went on to say that the Tikka supplier recommends Wildcat's for all Tikka's so I caved to peer pressure and went with that. I'm a sucker for trends :rolleyes:

On the the t8 there is a plastic bushing that screws out of the end of it that is there as a support for the part of the mod that comes down over the barrel.

This bushing needs to be milled out to the same diameter as the barrel so that it is snug not tight.

If it is the same with the wild cat let me know and I wil
    l do it for you.

Sound man!

Advertisement