Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

Hi from 2006-2009 I completed an ordinary degree with in recipt of a student grant, I am returning to college this year to start an honours degree in a differnt field, as I am under 23 and already have a degree I will be paying full course, my question is would I be eligible for a student for a student grant(as I was before) even though im paying fees??? any help would be great!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

If you're progressing from a level 7 to a level 8 degree (doenst have to be directly related) you should be eligible (providing you fill all the other criteria). you may also be eligible for the tuition fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

Tree wrote: »
    If you're progressing from a level 7 to a level 8 degree (doenst have to be directly related) you should be eligible (providing you fill all the other criteria). you may also be eligible for the tuition fees.

Cheers for the help, ya I did a level 7 degree in Civil Eng. and now im starting a level 8 degree in accounting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

sealgaire wrote: »
    Post here if you need assistance filling out thread titles! :-)

woops! didnt notice that typo! thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Henrib

Hi I've searched this thread but can't seem to find my answer, apologies if I've missed it! Where on the form or how does one apply for the 'Special Rate of Maintenance'??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Henrib wrote: »
    Hi I've searched this thread but can't seem to find my answer, apologies if I've missed it! Where on the form or how does one apply for the 'Special Rate of Maintenance'??

You don't - it's assessed the same - just make sure to clearly mark that you are receiving social welfare

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Euskadi1888

Right, some quick questions as I need to send this out today!

Where it asks if I have applied for any other financial assistance - I haven't applied for anything yet but if I don't get the grant I will definitely have to apply for Student Assistance Fund at the uni. Should I mention this?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Shonagh

I know this is probably the most basic question of all, but what does the grant actually cover and how much is it worth? I can't seem to find this anywhere :/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭franciec

Anybody know if you do a online application will the decision be post on the status on your online account.

Would this be an easy way to find out if you were granted it rather than waiting for post or however else your informed.

Shonagh wrote: »
    I know this is probably the most basic question of all, but what does the grant actually cover and how much is it worth? I can't seem to find this anywhere :/

Have a look at page 35 and page 39

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

When they ask of proof of living independantly it asks to 'provide evidence of where you were living from 1 October 2010.' Should I send the ESB bill I have for October 2010, or should I send every ESB bill issued to me between October 2010 and present?

Also, when they ask for proof of my residence for the last 3 years. Will it suffice to give a single ESB bill for each of those years, 3 in all?

For documentary evidence of nationality I am sending my birth cert (long version) and a black and white copy of my passport certified at a garda station, will that suffice?

For savings, should I be sending a statement for 2010 OR a certificate of interest for 2010?

Thanks!

1When they ask of proof of living independantly it asks to 'provide evidence of where you were living from 1 October 2010.' Should I send the ESB bill I have for October 2010, or should I send every ESB bill issued to me between October 2010 and present?

2Also, when they ask for proof of my residence for the last 3 years. Will it suffice to give a single ESB bill for each of those years, 3 in all?

3For documentary evidence of nationality I am sending my birth cert (long version) and a black and white copy of my passport certified at a garda station, will that suffice?

4For savings, should I be sending a statement for 2010 OR a certificate of interest for 2010?

Thanks!

1 October 2010 bill is sufficient
    2 yes bill for each year should do
    3 yes
    4 they only need to know the interest

Terry Pratchet

1 October 2010 bill is sufficient
    2 yes bill for each year should do
    3 yes
    4 they only need to know the interest

Thanks dude, you're a great help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Got the bill in Friday from NUIM and still waiting on a decission regarding the grant from Kildare. I just got the forms back today stamped and just saying they are returning the original documents. Do I get another letter when they r decide?
    I'm really hanging in the balance now. Thanks if anyone can help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dreamer92

You know the question it asks you 'have you applied for any student financial assistance from Ireland or abroad' (thats not the exact wording) ..well i said no & have it all sent now but i got HEAR.. is this a form of financial assisitance? should i ring them & tell them? or would they find out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

Hi I have a quick question. I have my application completed and just waiting on the documentation. I received a grant for my undergrad which I completed in 2009 so am applying again for a post grad.

I went to my county council to hand in my application and tell them I was waiting on my documentation and would have them asap. But I was told that there has been changes in the last 2 years and as I am applying to an IT I now have to apply to the VEC.

So I went to the VEC and was told that I need to apply to the county council as I had previously held a grant with them.... Neither would accept my application. Should I just apply to both online? with the closing date tomoro I cant really delay applying

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

needaname wrote: »
    Hi I have a quick question. I have my application completed and just waiting on the documentation. I received a grant for my undergrad which I completed in 2009 so am applying again for a post grad.

I went to my county council to hand in my application and tell them I was waiting on my documentation and would have them asap. But I was told that there has been changes in the last 2 years and as I am applying to an IT I now have to apply to the VEC.

So I went to the VEC and was told that I need to apply to the county council as I had previously held a grant with them.... Neither would accept my application. Should I just apply to both online? with the closing date tomoro I cant really delay applying

To the best of my knowledge, if hte gap is less than three years you apply with the previous council regardless. Also, if it really is the wrong council/VEC they should send it to the correct one on your behalf.

Got the bill in Friday from NUIM and still waiting on a decission regarding the grant from Kildare. I just got the forms back today stamped and just saying they are returning the original documents. Do I get another letter when they r decide?

Kildare will send you a letter when they decide. If NUIM demand payment earlier you can go talk to the fees office and see if they will give you an extension without penalty. The other option is to pay the fees now, and get refunded by NUIM when kildare pay them.

Most banks are willing to give short term loans to cover until the grant turns up, at which time you repay the loan wholly and in full, but talk to your bank manager about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MobyDick

Ok people I'm so confused right now.

I'm currently 25, birthday was in May. Living with my girlfriend in her Grandads house since June 2009 looking after the grandad. We pay the bills but they're all in his name. Only have a joint bank account with my girlfriend with this address on it, everything else still gets sent to my mams house.

Started a Higher Certificate course in 2008 (2008/2009), took year off because of the grandads health and girlfriend being diagnosed with MS (2009/2010 off), repeated the first year 2010/2011 and now going into second year (2011/2012).

All this time I've being working part time, 20-25 hours a week, so pretty much independent mature student. (Girlfriend also working ~30 hours per week)

Now from what I can tell, I don't fit into the Independent Mature Student catagory, or the Dependent Mature Student (I was 22 on entry) or normal Dependent Student (if you were age 23 on 1/1/11, I was 24) :confused:

Anybody have any ideas what would be best to put down???

If you need anymore information or anything let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

Hi

I'm currently looking at the checklist here and it's looking for
    a) College Offer
    b) FA1 form.

The thing is I've been a student since 2007 and just that due to a change in circumstances that the family income is below the thresholds. So this is the first year I am applying for a grant.

Is the above documentation still necessary for me?

Thanks

• Advertisement

They should send another letter when the decision is made

Terry Pratchet

MobyDick wrote: »
    Ok people I'm so confused right now.

I'm currently 25, birthday was in May. Living with my girlfriend in her Grandads house since June 2009 looking after the grandad. We pay the bills but they're all in his name. Only have a joint bank account with my girlfriend with this address on it, everything else still gets sent to my mams house.

Started a Higher Certificate course in 2008 (2008/2009), took year off because of the grandads health and girlfriend being diagnosed with MS (2009/2010 off), repeated the first year 2010/2011 and now going into second year (2011/2012).

All this time I've being working part time, 20-25 hours a week, so pretty much independent mature student. (Girlfriend also working ~30 hours per week)

Now from what I can tell, I don't fit into the Independent Mature Student catagory, or the Dependent Mature Student (I was 22 on entry) or normal Dependent Student (if you were age 23 on 1/1/11, I was 24) :confused:

Anybody have any ideas what would be best to put down???

If you need anymore information or anything let me know!

Right ok - If you were 22 on entry and you were living in your mothers house then - You are a dependent student as it is decided at the point of entry

Terry Pratchet

harryohh wrote: »
    Hi

I'm currently looking at the checklist here and it's looking for
    a) College Offer
    b) FA1 form.

The thing is I've been a student since 2007 and just that due to a change in circumstances that the family income is below the thresholds. So this is the first year I am applying for a grant.

Is the above documentation still necessary for me?

Thanks
    Send in whatever documentation shows that you are a registered student and it should suffice

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Wondering if someone could tell me when all documentation has to be in by?

I filled out a form online, but haven't got in to give all the documentation yet.

Thanks.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Wondering if someone could tell me when all documentation has to be in by?

I filled out a form online, but haven't got in to give all the documentation yet.

Thanks.

Send in whatever you have with a note saying the others will follow

Terry Pratchet

Should I send the original of my degree, or can I send a photocopy? The original is a big A3 sheet and I don't particularly want to fold it up into a envelope unless I have to.

Should I send the original of my degree, or can I send a photocopy? The original is a big A3 sheet and I don't particularly want to fold it up into a envelope unless I have to.

Why would you send your degree? what documentary evidence are you looking for?

Terry Pratchet

Why would you send your degree? what documentary evidence are you looking for?

From the guidance notes:
    Documentary evidence for C2
    If you have attended any course but not completed the course or have completed a course and
    hold a qualification, you must send us the following documents for each course:
    • a letter from a college or institution confirming your attendance, and/or
    • a copy of the award you received if you completed a course. If you hold a qualification from outside of Ireland, you must have the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland confirm your qualification to the nearest comparable level in Ireland.

'a copy of the award you received' means photocopy I'm hoping?

From the guidance notes:

'a copy of the award you received' means photocopy I'm hoping?

Would it not be easier to get:

a letter from a college or institution confirming your attendance

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Would it not be easier to get:

a letter from a college or institution confirming your attendance

I'm just keen to get everything in tomorrow :) I'm going to call into their office because they don't seem to like answering the phone! I'll ask them if a copy will do but I'll bring the original along just incase.

Advertisement