Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

It was a three year DIT Diploma. It's hard to tell on the NFQ http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/FanDiagram/nqai_nfq_08.html but I think i just made a massive mistake. Could i just try to convince the VEC it's a level 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Posada wrote: »
    It was a three year DIT Diploma. It's hard to tell on the NFQ http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/FanDiagram/nqai_nfq_08.html but I think i just made a massive mistake. Could i just try to convince the VEC it's a level 6?

I think that an ordinary level degree is what used to be classed as a diploma

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

Just in case it might help someone else who misses a deadline, i rang the college this am and was able to accept the Level 8 course as a 'late accepter.' :) So it's always worth calling the college. And sorry for dragging the thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭tbahh

I have the majority of my grant application filled out, just waiting on a few statement letters.

I was wondering if mortgage relief is classified as an income. I have ordered a statement from this department just in case.

Also, would carers allowance be counted as an income?

Thanks (I am a dependent student with two parents)!

tbahh wrote: »
    I have the majority of my grant application filled out, just waiting on a few statement letters.

I was wondering if mortgage relief is classified as an income. I have ordered a statement from this department just in case.

Also, would carers allowance be counted as an income?

Thanks (I am a dependent student with two parents)!

From page 22 of this - it looks like mortgage relief is counted but carers allowance is not

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

I heard the grants don't be paid till October or somtimes way later?

Is there any way of getting the grants earlier? Like i'l be starting college in september.. and i'm going to need money then.. I'm totally dependant on the grant and i'm eligible for the special rate.. will people who can get the special rate get it earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

cardor, it depends on what county your from, some pay quicker than others.
    depends on when you applied.
    depends if they need to further investigate/process your claim. e.g additional documents etc etc.

no one can give you an exact time of when it will be paid. last year a few of my friends got theirs in october. but other people i know had to wait till feburary!

Oh right.. I think I might have to get an overdraft in the bank or something of the sort.. I'l find out how it works once I start!

Are the grants usually paid in two installments? Or altogether?

Cardor wrote: »
    Oh right.. I think I might have to get an overdraft in the bank or something of the sort.. I'l find out how it works once I start!

Are the grants usually paid in two installments? Or altogether?

It's paid in 3 installments. if you are stuck you could approach your students union welfare officer. Some students unions can give short term financial assistance

Terry Pratchet

It's paid in 3 installments. if you are stuck you could approach your students union welfare officer. Some students unions can give short term financial assistance

:O.. 3? I have to pay for my accomodation on my first week for the whole semester.. which is around 2,100! That'l leave me with no money for the whole term.. Will the students union loan me money towards accomodation?

• Advertisement

Cardor wrote: »
    :O.. 3? I have to pay for my accomodation on my first week for the whole semester.. which is around 2,100! That'l leave me with no money for the whole term.. Will the students union loan me money towards accomodation?

They might but no guarantee. Ring up the welfare officer on Monday.

Terry Pratchet

They might but no guarantee. Ring up the welfare officer on Monday.

Ok, I will thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 RainbowRed

Hi, I was just wondering about a question on the grant form about whether I've applied for it before or not.. I did apply for the grant when I was doing a 1 year level 6 course but I wasn't allowed to get the grant because the course wasn't eligible for it.. anyway, do I put down yes that I did apply for it before? or just say no because the course I did wasnt eligible for it? Appreciate any help!

RainbowRed wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering about a question on the grant form about whether I've applied for it before or not.. I did apply for the grant when I was doing a 1 year level 6 course but I wasn't allowed to get the grant because the course wasn't eligible for it.. anyway, do I put down yes that I did apply for it before? or just say no because the course I did wasnt eligible for it? Appreciate any help!

i would say no. since you were not elligable for it, then quite frankly who cares. the vec office wont have any record of this so its pointless putting it down. what they are really looking for is people who have applied in the past, got the grant, and dropped out after 1 or 2 years in college.
    the fact u applied but didnt get the grant will hold no restraint on your next application considering your main failure point was the level you were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Did anyone enclose any sort of a letter along with their forms and their grant application?

i felt i really needed to 'flesh-out' my financial situation beyond the details in the documents i enclosed.

partially this was because my income for 2010 was one euro and fifty one cent over the income limit for the special rate of maintenance grant.

then somebody told me that they actually use your income figures for 2009!! ( i hope so ).

Absolute best of luck to ALL the maturies of 2011/2012

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Did anyone enclose any sort of a letter along with their forms and their grant application?

i felt i really needed to 'flesh-out' my financial situation beyond the details in the documents i enclosed.

partially this was because my income for 2010 was one euro and fifty one cent over the income limit for the special rate of maintenance grant.

then somebody told me that they actually use your income figures for 2009!! ( i hope so ).

Absolute best of luck to ALL the maturies of 2011/2012

They use your income for 2010. If you have had a change of circumstances that mean your income is less you should tell them and they can take this into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

I should be entitledto full grant. Waiting to hear back. I'm starting a course in sept and am giving up work for the duration.

Could this count as a change of circumstance? Would they take this into account as I may get special top up then! Or is this not counted as a valid change as I'm giving up work to work to go to college??

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

whats a "certified copy of your passport? " thanks

brownlad wrote: »
    whats a "certified copy of your passport? " thanks

bring your passport into the vec office, get them to copy it there and then, they will stamp it and sign it.

or

bring it to the guards barracks and ask them to sign and stamp it.

either way will be good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 RainbowRed

i would say no. since you were not elligable for it, then quite frankly who cares. the vec office wont have any record of this so its pointless putting it down. what they are really looking for is people who have applied in the past, got the grant, and dropped out after 1 or 2 years in college.
    the fact u applied but didnt get the grant will hold no restraint on your next application considering your main failure point was the level you were doing.

Makes sense, thanks for your help! :)

I have one other question about Section C question C6.. its about whether I am getting any other financial assistance from Ireland.. does that include the BTEA? the question just above this one asks if I am applying for the BTEA, which I am, but does this question need the details of it? its a bit confusing! :/

• Advertisement

since the question above asks if your getting BTEA, and you filled that one out as yes, then no, you dont need to put BTEA on question c6. i believe they are just wondering if your getting any money from anywhere else. e.g disability, rent from tennants in any property you own, investments etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Are they strict about getting letters from a college you attended previously?

I briefly attended college in 2004 , i obviously stated this in my grant form i didnt sit any exams or anything but in the supporting documentation section it says to get letters from college stating you were there ?
    Are they strict on this ? Just wondering as i have declared everything honestly on the form but i could be waiting another week trying to get this letter that wont even affect my application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Hi,
    You guys gave me good help and information here a while ago. Thanks again for that. Such a brilliant, helpful and informative thread.
    My application has been posted off and got an email saying it was received. I sent it to the VEC in Tallaght by registered post. Just wondering because I haven't received my documants and birth cert back. Its nearly two weeks now. Should i contact them or is this normal enough because of the amount of applications they get?

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Hi,
    You guys gave me good help and information here a while ago. Thanks again for that. Such a brilliant, helpful and informative thread.
    My application has been posted off and got an email saying it was received. I sent it to the VEC in Tallaght by registered post. Just wondering because I haven't received my documants and birth cert back. Its nearly two weeks now. Should i contact them or is this normal enough because of the amount of applications they get?

sometimes it takes them a while to process everything as they do get a lot of applications, tons of documents to go through. nothing to worry about really, but if you want peace of mind, just drop them a quick call and see whats happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

KMM wrote: »
    Hey all,

So I have the online part done and dusted. Now I am trying to get all the additional paper works together. What I am stuck on is the proof of being an independent mature candidate.

I live with a friend, who owns the house. I did not sign a lease, as a) it's a friends place and b) we both figured there was no need as I'd only be here for a few months. Anyway, I also have no bills here in my name. I rang CDVEC and she said just attach anything official from October 2010 that I would have been sent. I have trawled through all my papers etc. and can't find a thing that shows I was here from October 1st 2010, I have one final internet bill but that is dated in December 2010! I am actually starting to freak out a bit now and the thing is I am only applying for 'fees only'.

I desperately need some help or advice. Does any one know anything else that's official?

ps. Also since last June I haven't had a bank account! Unbelievable I know :(

This happened to me - I just got my friend to write me a letter saying I was renting there ad it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Charred

Hello, I am trying to figure out if I am eligible for the maintenance grant or any other financial assistance.

I am a mature dependant student going back to do an honours degree level 8 course (4 years), previously I completed and was awarded a national diploma in 2004 (3 year course).
    Under the National Framework of Qualifications this was changed to an ordinary bachelors degree level 7 the year later and i can now apparently claim equivalence.

Does this mean I have to wait until the start of the fourth year before I'm deemed eligible for a grant?

Thanks for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Hi , we recieved the back to school clothing and footware allowance of €610 in 2010. Will this count as reckonable income?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bradyc6

hcass wrote: »
    This happened to me - I just got my friend to write me a letter saying I was renting there ad it worked fine.

Sweet! This is what I have done, similar situation where my name isn't on any of the bills and no formal lease signed so got the landlord to write a letter for me confirming my residence. Hoepfully it works.
    What granting Authority were you applying to? Was it this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zara23

I got a grant renewal form as opposed to a re-assessment form for my last year. A few things have changed in the last year including my address and I filled out the form including these changes. I called the VEC to ask them if an ESB form would be sufficient as a a change of address. They just asked me if it was a green form, and when I said yes she said 'ALL we need from the renewal forms are a copy of your exam results.'
    I didn't give her my name so I called back a few days later and asked for another form.
    Is this basically them telling me to just say nothing about the changes? That they're going to let me re-new without question for my last year?
    The way she was asking me to make sure it was a renewal made me think they didn't give out many of them and I should keep my mouth shut.
    I'm just worried about them finding out halfway through the year and taking the grant away!

• Advertisement

Zara23 wrote: »
    I got a grant renewal form as opposed to a re-assessment form for my last year. A few things have changed in the last year including my address and I filled out the form including these changes. I called the VEC to ask them if an ESB form would be sufficient as a a change of address. They just asked me if it was a green form, and when I said yes she said 'ALL we need from the renewal forms are a copy of your exam results.'
    I didn't give her my name so I called back a few days later and asked for another form.
    Is this basically them telling me to just say nothing about the changes? That they're going to let me re-new without question for my last year?
    The way she was asking me to make sure it was a renewal made me think they didn't give out many of them and I should keep my mouth shut.
    I'm just worried about them finding out halfway through the year and taking the grant away!

if all you have done is moved house, then i would not worry about it.
    personally i would just fill out the renewal form with the updated address, and leave it at that.

Advertisement