Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing/Sourcing tiles in the UK & NI

Options
  • 29-06-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I want to re roof my house in Dublin but need to buy the slates in Sterling as I live in the UK. ( and RoI prices seem higher, not to mention the exchange rate issues)
    pricing Eternit Thrutone (Marley)fibre cement slates in the South East of England I am getting quotes of £0.75 per tile.
    Pricing Eternit Thrutone (Tegral ) slates in Northern Ireland I am getting quotes of £1.20 per tile. both quotes excluding VAT @ 20%

That seems a massive difference in what must be to all purposes the same product.Tegral are made in Ireland so what's with the big price diffrence, it can't be transportation costs

I'm thinking of hiring a 7.5 tonne van and driving the tiles to Dublin myself, if the cost of the van/ferry is significantly cheaper.
    Anything wrong with that logic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 West Brit

Found a haulage company to shift tiles from South East UK to Dublin @ £110 a pallet.
    Saving around £1000.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭steifanc

West Brit wrote: »
    Found a haulage company to shift tiles from South East UK to Dublin @ £110 a pallet.
    Saving around £1000.

hi can you pm me the details of the haulage company i might do the same

Tiles arrived safely, no problems apart from the fact they need to be fork lifted off the delivery truck, thankfully the house is across the road from a builders suppliers who took them down for me in the yard. Then it was just a case of loading up my car with 2.5 tonnes(not all at once!) of slates ,by hand and up loading them into the house, by hand ... nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Tiles arrived safely, no problems apart from the fact they need to be fork lifted off the delivery truck, thankfully the house is across the road from a builders suppliers who took them down for me in the yard. Then it was just a case of loading up my car with 2.5 tonnes(not all at once!) of slates ,by hand and up loading them into the house, by hand ... nice...

I'd say they were well chuffed with you! :D Well done on getting a bargain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dromardabu

steifanc wrote: »
    Saving around £1000.

hi can you pm me the details of the haulage company i might do the same

Jo westbrit

Hi jo
    Would you mind pm'ing me the haulage company details too pls.

• Advertisement

Gulliver wrote: »
    I'd say they were well chuffed with you! :D Well done on getting a bargain though.

I gave the forkie driver a drink!

Dromardabu wrote: »
    Jo westbrit

Hi jo
    Would you mind pm'ing me the haulage company details too pls.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I gave the forkie driver a drink!

Aaahh - drink, the universal lubricant! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I priced Tegral Rivendale Tiles in NI and compared it to ROI. The quantity I wanted was just above 9k euro but I was getting quoted 9.5k in Sterling from NI companies.

I didn't check the mainland UK though.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I priced Tegral Rivendale Tiles in NI and compared it to ROI. The quantity I wanted was just above 9k euro but I was getting quoted 9.5k in Sterling from NI companies.

I didn't check the mainland UK though.

Marley Rivendale slates @ £.75 in UK

Sorry that figure is bogus. For the Rivendale slates the price I got quoted was £1.20 per slate,i.e. £1200 per 1000
    £0.75 was for the thrutone slates

• Advertisement
Advertisement