Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting foreign students

Options
  • 29-06-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

does anyone know how to apply for becoming a host for foreign students im guessing goes through an agency,living in the corofin/tuam area not sure if location suits students and there classes????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Probably best to get in touch with the language schools in the city? Google 'Language Schools Galway', and pick up the phone to whoever you find there, see how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

We were also interested in hosting as there is a student in our local school who is very unhappy with her host and she would like to move in with us.

Her parents are paying about 10k for the school year and from what i can see getting nothing for their money.

We contacted the company which had received the 10k to offer our services but they were not interested in talking to us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Okay, I have a couple of friends who have hosted foreign students and they had to be within bus/walking distance from the school. It was a language school in Galway. I did, however, have a mate host in Oughterard but that was with younger secondary students who spent the year attending the local secondary school.

Both of them really enjoyed hosting. They were sociable warm people and the extra income was a bonus. They got students they liked and one of my friends wanted to stop for a while (health reasons) and the school kept asking her was she sure because she was so popular with students. That's all I know I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

There is definitely a company operating in the Tuam area, a neighbour of mine takes students from March to June, usually for 2 -4 nights, she has to drive them to a meeting point in Belclare in the morning and pick them up at 9 ish. It's basically a B &B with packed lunch, she takes 2-3 students and is paid €18(not 100% on this amount) per student per night. She lets the company know what dates she can take students. There are also companies that offer students placements with qualified TEFL teachers, there has to be a certain amount of one to one tuition, cultural outings etc but the money is good and may be worth doing a TEFL if you don't have one. Location doesn't seem to matter too much for this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Thanks for the replies...

I am very surprised how little the host family gets paid. I think The Company ( EF ) receive €10,000 from the Student and only pay the host family €14 per day per student.

• Advertisement
Advertisement