Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Herding.

• 29-06-2011 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭

I have an outfarm which is too far away to herd every day and was thinking of getting someone near the outfarm to herd say every second day. All the stock wil be in the one field so just wondering what would be the going rate for someone to herd. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 corkery

hi zetor,
    where you located? Can't see it costing too much to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

What do u mean herd to round up animals or to check or count move them:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭zetor 4911

djmc wrote: »
    What do u mean herd to round up animals or to check or count move them:confused:

Just counting and checking that stock are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

There are three different kinds of herds men:confused:

1. Looks at the cattle and realizes something is wrong with one of them when it won't get up:eek: He has a closer look and "oh sh1t, somthing happend the black one, it's dead":(

2. Looks at the cattle and says "that one looks sick today". Phones you up and says the black one is sick:eek: You jump in the jeep and drive 15 miles, and find nothing wrong. The thing is this can be a 5 times a week event, till you dont take any notice anymore, and dont bother going to see for yourself. Then one day, this guy is actually correct. You ignore him. Then you end up ringing for the dead lorry:mad::mad:

3. The third guy, is yourself .............. your cattle ......... no messing:D

Which one do you pick:p

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭solorpower

i am in similar situation, and the guy i bought the land off looks at the cattle for me a few times a week, i never ask him to move them just look, count and check.
    he is worth his weight in gold.
    never once has he cry wolf.
    and neither ever did i find one dead or sick that should have been spotted.
    he offered when i bought the farm 10 year ago, not once have i given him any money, just a bottle or 2 a year and a hamper at christmas.
    other then that it costs an hour of chat when i meet him!

when he was sick i really missed him.

you would be better off with a retired farmer as they would have the experience to spot one "off form".

• Advertisement
Advertisement