Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knockanstockan 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

First time going today and first time going to ANY music festival and I camping..eeeek. What to bring? Have heard so many great things about this fest

all ye need is beer, smokes, tent and sleeping bag. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

gsxr1 wrote: »
    all ye need is beer, smokes, tent and sleeping bag. :)

and your own roll of toilet paper, oh yes, when the vindaloo kicks in around 3am you'll thank me

• Registered Users Posts: 41 klaramcdonnell

ha toilet roll?! Just packing now...felt like a total alcoholic, went on a drink buying spree at 10.45 am. Can't wait! What food is there on site?

pizza, noodles, veggie stuff, burgers, pasta, coffee. Nothing wildly exciting but reasonably priced and good quality.

Yea a toilet roll at a festival is essential cos the public toilet ones always run out

• Registered Users Posts: 41 klaramcdonnell

ah very glad to hear that there is some veggie food:)

• Advertisement

come Sunday we sink to eating the weakest members of the audience :p

just leaving Waterford now, have a good one folks, and if you happen to be around the chill area Sat around midday then I'll (miXile) be doing a live performance of ambient electronic music so do say hi and let's crack open a beer or two and enjoy the sun :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

That was pretty awesome, pity I couldn't stay the whole day today. Looking forward to next years event!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Had to work this weekend so I only made it for the saturday, really brilliant though. Savage atmosphere, good music, sun and friendly folk. Couldn't ask for more. Definitely getting a weekend ticket next year.

just home, excellent festival all round. As an artist playing the chill stage it was wonderful to play a festival in Ireland where the chill stage is set up and run professionally and not just as an afterthought.

Well done to all who helped make Knockanstockan such a good festival and to whoever organised the sunshine for us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Best festival i was ever out without a doubt. The music and talent on show was out of this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Fantastic weekend altogether. I'm still recovering.

Knockanstockan is one of the best festivals I've been to, very well organised and a great atmosphere.
    It was a shame about those scummers hanging around the dome on Friday night/Saturday morning wrecking people's buzz. Most of them weren't bothering anybody when I was there but I heard it got a bit rough later on, and the Guards had to be called in.

Also, the faerie field was amazing and you could see there was a lot of effort put into it.

My only criticism is that the camping site didn't seem to be big enough to accommodate everybody that was camping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Fantastic weekend altogether. I'm still recovering.

Knockanstockan is one of the best festivals I've been to, very well organised and a great atmosphere.
    It was a shame about those scummers hanging around the dome on Friday night/Saturday morning wrecking people's buzz. Most of them weren't bothering anybody when I was there but I heard it got a bit rough later on, and the Guards had to be called in.

Also, the faerie field was amazing and you could see there was a lot of effort put into it.

My only criticism is that the camping site didn't seem to be big enough to accommodate everybody that was camping.

they where not expecting that many campers. That was a record attendance . That will be sorted by next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Is there any official numbers on how many people attended across the weekend? Just curious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

What a weekend.........so sad it's over. I heard 4,000 including crew, volunteers and band etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Are yis all looking forward to KS 2012!!

Got the tickets?

Listened to all the bands on knockanstockan.ie?

You're a festival!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Think I can only go for the day on Saturday. Anyone any idea if there will be transport back to Dublin on Saturday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Not sure, did ya try e-mail info@knockanstockan.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭cudsy1

i need to be at newlands cross by 10.20 am on sunday morning... says here that first dublin bus leaving blessington is at 9.30 on a sunday... was anyone at the festival last year, and was there taxis and minibuses hanging around blessington/near the festival at all times? cos at indiependence last year i noticed lots of transport options to get back to cork city....

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WillPainter

I'm hoping to go this weekend. What's the campsite like? Any stories of marauding gangs robbing from people's tents? It made sleeping at Picnic last year really uneasy.

Think I can only go for the day on Saturday. Anyone any idea if there will be transport back to Dublin on Saturday night?

This what they put up about the shuttle bus times

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=493936107287197&id=116271338387011
    Hey folks, incase you had a query about the bus for the weekend,
    65 Dublin bus to Blessington
    For buses from Blessington to the car park & the festival site there will be 4 buses running continuously during the following times.

Friday 11am - 2am
    Saturday 10am - 2am
    Sunday 11am - 2am

Buses back to Dublin on Sunday night/Monday morning are €10 and need to be booked at the box office when you arrive.

The bus times from Blessington aren't great on Saturday night - only 10pm or 12.20am The 65b at 11pm leaves from Ballymore, miles and miles from Blessington.

http://hittheroad.ie/bus/65/#to=Hawkins+St.

So, you're good for Saturday night back to Dublin, just don't miss that 65!!

• Advertisement

I'm hoping to go this weekend. What's the campsite like? Any stories of marauding gangs robbing from people's tents? It made sleeping at Picnic last year really uneasy.

I did see one person on boards (I think) say that things were stolen from his tent last year - so take the usual care.

I wasn't there last year, but have been to all the others Knockanstockans. There is a real pro-active approach to security. If you see someone/something dodgy, let a volunteer or security know. They keep an eye on them and chuck 'em out at the first sign of trouble.

It means that we all help keep the site safe, and look out for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So how was it did the sun shine all weekend there, it looked like judging by the photos on their facebook page of the pre fest, that some of the stages, cafes and installations were from the Body & Soul festival too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

So how was it did the sun shine all weekend there, it looked like judging by the photos on their facebook page of the pre fest, that some of the stages, cafes and installations were from the Body & Soul festival too.

It was amazing, even better then last year, will definitely be returning next summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 xyzmech

Galadriel wrote: »
    It was amazing, even better then last year, will definitely be returning next summer!

I Agree. Definately as good as if not better than last year. One of my favourite festivals.

Great festival and agree it just gets better each year. Brilliant vibe around.

I'd heard some but not many reports of people having stuff stolen. Always sad to hear but at least not as widespread as elsewhere.

Downside? The toilets. It doesn't matter how many toilets you have , if they are not cleaned every few hours you end up with crap, paper, clothing reaching the top of the bowl and staying there for the weekend. This must have been particularly distressing for those with kids in the family camping area as it was used by everyone in the chill side of the fest.

Otherwise, an excellent weekend.

old gregg wrote: »
    Downside? The toilets. It doesn't matter how many toilets you have , if they are not cleaned every few hours you end up with crap, paper, clothing reaching the top of the bowl and staying there for the weekend. This must have been particularly distressing for those with kids in the family camping area as it was used by everyone in the chill side of the fest.

I thought the toilet situation was much better this year, plus they had increased the number of them.

I stayed in the family camping area and the toilets where fine even up until the last day which I was surprised by.

Can't wait for next years now!!!

I suppose the word 'fine' is subjective for all of us. I stayed there too and wouldn't be keen on a growing well of crap.

I suppose the word 'fine' is subjective for all of us. I stayed there too and wouldn't be keen on a growing well of crap.

Sorry when I said fine I meant it wasn't as you described here:

if they are not cleaned every few hours you end up with crap, paper, clothing reaching the top of the bowl and staying there for the weekend.

I was expecting it to be like that myself but was pleasantly surprised, now the toilets down by the stages...that's a different story :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I had scarey experiences with the toilets Saturday and Sunday morning.
    They were in an awful state, but were also being cleaned at 7am so fair play.

I wouldn't compare it to last year because of the rain. It was different.

• Advertisement

^ I suppose the trick is to curl a big one out at 07:10 and stay away from the curries :D

Advertisement