Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sports presenters

• 29-06-2011 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭

Why do Sports presenters have to try to find so many different ways to say the same thing? Are they afraid of saying the same word over and over?

For example (I'm paraphrasing here)

"Liverpool stumbled to a 2-1 win over Everton today. The "2005 Champions League winners" scored late in the first half to take a lead over the in-form Toffees, only for the Blues to equalise five minutes after the interval. Kenny Dalglish's men finally broke through in the 89th minute with a second goal which elevated the reds to 5th in the table!"

For Gaelic Games it seems one can only use the County name once, then one must use the nickname " the Rebels", the Royals, The Tribemen, etc

TodayFM's Paul Collins, Michal McMullan and Lindsay (?) are the biggest culprits. Is it a sin to be caught using the same word twice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not a sin but if you end up repeating one team name 3 times in as many sentences it does sound rather repetitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

Sure if the presenter said Liverpool, Liverpool, Liverpool you'd be starting a thread about it here too. You just can't win with this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

For Gods sake. Do people on here have nothing better to do than go "hmm., I really must find an angle so that I can start a thread"

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

"Liverpool stumbled to a 2-1 win over Everton today. Liverpool scored late in the first half to take a lead over the in-form Everton, only for Everton to equalise five minutes after the interval. Liverpool finally broke through in the 89th minute with a second goal which elevated Liverpool to 5th in the table!"

Yeah, much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Fran1985 wrote: »
    "Liverpool stumbled to a 2-1 win over Everton today. Liverpool scored late in the first half to take a lead over the in-form Everton, only for Everton to equalise five minutes after the interval. Liverpool finally broke through in the 89th minute with a second goal which elevated Liverpool to 5th in the table!"

Yeah, much better.

Listen to a few of them and see how it sounds?

For someone to understand the original piece one would have to already know the colours of the teams, the nicknames of the teams and the managers of the teams. It would be possible to present such a report without naming the team so many times.

Some of the presenters are way OTT with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

It has to be something they teach in producer school 101 -the stock market reports are the same

the nasdac was up
    the dow jones 100 gained
    the isec fell and the ftse lost ground

On a scale of 1 -10 of annoyances, it is a 1 at most tho

It's nothing more than an observation.

Some replies seem more worked up about it than I ever will?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Melmar

I'd be more concerned about the lack of information they provide in the bulletins, perhaps caught up in how to present "short and snappy" bulletins rather than focus on the information provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

i kinda thought about it a bit more since you said it. But you get it in all forms of reporting.

Minister for transport xyz has said..... The Dublin west TD added....

Its in all forms of reporting, both written and speech and is there so things dont sound repetitive, dont sound repetitive. There's no other alternative really, because as with my example above, you'll end up saying Liverpool 5/6 times per story and that just sounds stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Gophur wrote: »
    It's nothing more than an observation.

Some replies seem more worked up about it than I ever will?
    You reckon? Almost like someone getting worked up over factor. :D
    But as you said you don't get as worked up as others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

I have some sympathies with your argument and it really ain't (sic) no coincidence that in recent days DCU, which runs a major post grad journalism course announced that it would have to start teaching basic english language grammar to students as the standard was so bad. .....

Reminds me of a person I worked with on a station who was applying for a job of newsreader with another station. I asked how the application had gone and was informed that the interview had been good and they were pretty sure they'd got 3 or 4 out of 10 current affairs questions right.......

amiable wrote: »
    You reckon? Almost like someone getting worked up over factor. :D
    But as you said you don't get as worked up as others

You need to look up the difference between getting "worked up" and "making an observation".
    Btr wrote: »
    I have some sympathies with your argument and it really ain't (sic) no coincidence that in recent days DCU, which runs a major post grad journalism course announced that it would have to start teaching basic english language grammar to students as the standard was so bad. .....

Reminds me of a person I worked with on a station who was applying for a job of newsreader with another station. I asked how the application had gone and was informed that the interview had been good and they were pretty sure they'd got 3 or 4 out of 10 current affairs questions right.......

Here's a quote from Sky Sports today
    News: Striker David Suazo has left Inter Milan after his contract expired at the Giuseppe Meazza.

They could have just said
    Striker David Suazo has left Inter Milan after his contract expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Gophur wrote: »
    You need to look up the difference between getting "worked up" and "making an observation".

Here's a quote from Sky Sports today

They could have just said
    Yes sir

Anything else ?

It clearly went over your head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I think its kind of interesting, and if you're really into it check out the BBC Style Guide

One sports readers favourite is to use as many phrases as possible for goalkeeper.

Most of the time they'll get it out of the way in the first para and then lose the run of them selves....
    It might go a little something like this..
    Aston Villa have their eyes on Shay Given.

The Man City goalkeeper could be in line to replace Brad Friedel.

Its understood that the Irish netminder is Alex McLeish first choice for the job.

The 35 year old ball stopper...

and so on and so forth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Derryleigh wrote: »
    For Gods sake. Do people on here have nothing better to do than go "hmm., I really must find an angle so that I can start a thread"

Derry, do you mind me being honest.?

John Q Taxpayer pays for the goings on out in Montrose, also the advertisers.

There is an old saying"He who pays the piper calls the tune".

So... if you understand that sage, don't get too anal if the people who pay for RTE are critical of the setup there.

RTE do a lot of very very good things, but the cost base is way, I say again,way,way, too high.

Do you understand what I am saying buddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

giftgrub wrote:
    Aston Villa have their eyes on Shay Given.

The Man City goalkeeper could be in line to replace Brad Friedel.

Its understood that the Irish netminder is Alex McLeish first choice for the job.

The 35 year old ball stopper...

The first two sentences are fine, but leave out the 'netminder' and 'ball stopper' in the others. We've established who he is and what he does, no need for more. That's what I do anyway. Can't be arsed with all these ways of describing the one person.

Derry, do you mind me being honest.?

John Q Taxpayer pays for the goings on out in Montrose, also the advertisers.

There is an old saying"He who pays the piper calls the tune".

So... if you understand that sage, don't get too anal if the people who pay for RTE are critical of the setup there.

RTE do a lot of very very good things, but the cost base is way, I say again,way,way, too high.

Do you understand what I am saying buddy?

Who said this was anything to do just with RTE presenters.

Local radio though can be very funny. It seems every station has a GAA commentator who beleives that the only way to commentate is to roar and shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Derryleigh wrote: »
    Local radio though can be very funny. It seems every station has a GAA commentator who beleives that the only way to commentate is to roar and shout.

Nothing funny about local radio friend, majority of those stations are run as tight as a drum and provide fantastic service to their chosen area, something that money pit RTE could do well to copy.
    O and did I mention they regularly are the most listened to stations.

Advertisement