Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Achill and Mulranny area

Options
  • 29-06-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

Hello folks, heading west next week for holidays with the family. We are staying IN Achill/Mulranny area and are looking for some advice tips on where locals would go if they were heading out on their bikes or walking.

Is cycling around Achill very tough? To cycle a full circuit of Achill is what distance? My youngest cycling will be 8yrs old.

We plan on doing quite a bit of walking, cycling and photography so any tips would be most welcome.

Thank you
    LeoB

Fogra. Good win last Sunday for Mayo. Real dark horses to go far this year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well the Western Way would be an ideal start for you. Can be walked or biked. And its free. Currently it runs from Westport to Mulrany.Is to be extended to Achill Sound. If you cycle the full way around Achill you will cover something in the region of 30 miles. That would/should include the Atlantic Drive. Loads of opportunities for photography there. Have a look at www.achilltourism.com. No better way to spend a holiday if you are lucky with the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thanks for that information. That cycleway is a great idea and should be adopted nationally as it could with a little joined up thinking be a major boost to tourism.

Had a look at Achill tourism and there is plenty to do so hopefully the weather will be half decent if not on with the wet gear and just enjoy it anyway......
    This Yawl racing looks interesting and could be a good intro.
    Official Opening & Blessing of the Boats 6.15pm sharp, Tonragee Pier Bernard Masterson Memorial Cup 7pm, The Way Inn, Tonragee Sunday 3rd July / Dé Domhnaigh Patrick McLoughlin Memorial Cup 7pm, Josie McLoughlin's Pub, Achill Sound How far from Mulranny would these events be?, staying in the Lodges at Mulranny Park
    Are there any safe cycling trails in the Ballycroy forest Park north of Mulranny? Or is cycling allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sideview

Hi,
    A group of us are planning on going cycling down in mayo this summer.
    I'm looking for some advice from some who may know the area.
    Which would be a better place to stop for a night - Mulranny or Achill Sound?
    We'd be looking for nice B&B's, decent food and a nice bar.
    I suspect Mulranny but Achill Sound suits the trip itenary a bit better.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sideview wrote: »
    Hi,

i say achill sound but i am biased.

Load of B and B in achill sound and a few nice bars as well.

Don't put your 8 yr old cycling around Achill, its fairly tough terrain.

pm me if you want some info.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sideview

irishgeo wrote: »
    Sideview wrote: »
    Hi,

i say achill sound but i am biased.

Load of B and B in achill sound and a few nice bars as well.

Don't put your 8 yr old cycling around Achill, its fairly tough terrain.

pm me if you want some info.

Great thanks IrishGeo... We'll go with achill
    Sound so. I'll take you up on that offer of pm later aswell thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement