Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ deals in Butchers

Options
  • 29-06-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I’m holding a bbq for about 20 people on Saturday and wondering if there is anywhere doing deals at the moment.

I’ll be doing the basic ie burgers , chicken wings etc

Anyone recommend a place I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sheehans butchers often do deals like that. They have a place in Mallow, Have you tried any of the wholesalers that supply restraunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Cahills butchers in Ballintemple do bbq deals. I have never used them for this but have brought meat from them and tis always yummie

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Barr wrote: »
    Hi All

IÂ’m holding a bbq for about 20 people on Saturday and wondering if there is anywhere doing deals at the moment.

IÂ’ll be doing the basic ie burgers , chicken wings etc

Anyone recommend a place I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks
    Try the butcher by the Lough. I've got good stuff from there but not in the quantity you are looking for so I don't know about discounts. It was good value regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ian Mac

I'd recommend just going into the market , you get stuff for alot cheaper , especially with the chicken.

O Flynns butchers in the market would be good for the likes of burgers and stuff :)

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I never go anywhere but Cribbins in Douglas Court - quality is unreal as is the range they have. Good deals to be had with skewers and things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

murphym7 wrote: »
    I never go anywhere but Cribbins in Douglas Court - quality is unreal as is the range they have. Good deals to be had with skewers and things.

Yeah, I've bought in Cribbins a few times, decent stuff alright. I've also found the butchers in Passage West to be very good for beef burgers, tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

I love O Crualaoi's. My favorite butchers by a long shot.

Here's a link to their bbq deals.

http://www.ocrualaoi.com/Pages/BBQPacks.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Butchers are actually a very personal thing :pac:

I always use Bresnans in Douglas (Tesco centre) - always good for a bulk deal. the guy at the Lough is good too.

Chicken wings in the english market are the cheapest for bulk, but I find they are very very small

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Try the butchers in the dosco industrial estate or the one across from harvey normans on the kinsale road,not sure what deals they do,but their stuff is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

delos wrote: »
    Try the butcher by the Lough. I've got good stuff from there but not in the quantity you are looking for so I don't know about discounts. It was good value regardless.
    They had a BBQ offer for €60 here, cant remember the contents but worth popping in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Was in Douglas sc today and the butchers by tesco (sheehans) have bbq combo deals. e.g.10 burgers, 10 chicken wings, 10 lamb grillsticks, 10 chicken drumsticks & 10 jumbo sausages for 25 euro.

I've never had any of their stuff but took their flyer ... I'll contact your better half in the morning with the details ;-)

Karmella wrote: »
    Was in Douglas sc today and the butchers by tesco (sheehans) have bbq combo deals. e.g.10 burgers, 10 chicken wings, 10 lamb grillsticks, 10 chicken drumsticks & 10 jumbo sausages for 25 euro.

I've never had any of their stuff but took their flyer ... I'll contact your better half in the morning with the details ;-)

They have a place in Mallow where I often buy stuff. Its damm nice...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

That Sheehan fella is a miserable ould creep. I don't care how nice his meat is I will never go in there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

Osbournes(?) in Blarney is the best I've ever had and they always have good value deals! Or there is a place in Kanturk that has award winning food! Cant think of the name of it

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

antlyn wrote: »
    Osbournes(?) in Blarney is the best I've ever had and they always have good value deals! Or there is a place in Kanturk that has award winning food! Cant think of the name of it

Yes there is, Jack Mc Carthy and Son Butchers main street Kanturk, some of there produce was served to the Queen on her visit to Ireland last May. They have also won countless awards for their meats and also lately they appeared on an RTE show.
    PS Im no where related to them or their business just spreading the word about quality food

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Yes there is, Jack Mc Carthy and Son Butchers main street Kanturk, some of there produce was served to the Queen on her visit to Ireland last May. They have also won countless awards for their meats and also lately they appeared on an RTE show.
    PS Im no where related to them or their business just spreading the word about quality food

Thanks Jack...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Andip wrote: »
    Butchers are actually a very personal thing :pac:

I always use Bresnans in Douglas (Tesco centre) - always good for a bulk deal. the guy at the Lough is good too.

Chicken wings in the english market are the cheapest for bulk, but I find they are very very small

my concern with places like Bresnans and Cribbins is that they don't look like a traditional butchers, maybe because they're not??

They place is too tidy, too neat, I mean is anything prepared on site or is it all bought pre-butchered/pre-packed and they just display it all and perform the small cuts when required by the customer.

I mean, when was the last time you saw one of those large cutting saw machines in a butcher like the above??

Now I may be totally wrong but it doesn't look right IMO. OK I'm not looking for a scene from Hostel but you get my point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

my concern with places like Bresnans and Cribbins is that they don't look like a traditional butchers, maybe because they're not??

They place is too tidy, too neat, I mean is anything prepared on site or is it all bought pre-butchered/pre-packed and they just display it all and perform the small cuts when required by the customer.

I mean, when was the last time you saw one of those large cutting saw machines in a butcher like the above??

Now I may be totally wrong but it doesn't look right IMO. OK I'm not looking for a scene from Hostel but you get my point :)

Simple rules of thumb
    if the butcher has beef bones for soup & your dog - thats a REAL BUTCHER
    if the butcher makes their sausages in shop from local pork - thats a REAL BUTCHER
    Cribbins, butchers block, sheehans & cork meat company are nothing more than MEAT SHOPS selling boxed meat from factories and unlabelled chicken fillets that are processed in holland & germany; often originating in brazil or thailand.

The english market has the best selection of REAL BUTCHERS, no foreign meat... McCarthy in kanturk does great sausages and outstanding puddings...Bresnans in douglas is the only true traditional butcher there, clonakilty chicken fillets, superb sausages made in shop and the best beef i've ever had...

there... rant over :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Karmella wrote: »

i always buy meat from that butchers purely because of the quality and the friendly staff, they are lovely,

but they still have that bbq offer going, we bought it a few times last summer it was delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Hate to bump an old enough thread. Is there any decent butchers in the northside/blackpool? I've been lucky in previous years in that I've been able to start bbq season in April :D so I want to be prepared...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yup! Try Byrnes in Ballyvolane shopping centre...

I think the quality of the meat in there is excellent and don't go anywhere else (with the occasional exception of O'Crullaoi's!)...

It's such a treat to be able to buy decent meat here. In London, there's a dearth of decent butcher's shops. The few you do find, you pay a small fortune for the meat!

I second Jack McCarthy as well. My husband always has the bangers in the Market Lane.

Also - Butcher's Block? When I first moved here I did use the shop in Blackpool SC. I stopped as soon as I had the chicken breasts that shrank to the size of sparrow breasts as soon as I cooked them!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Just saw a new BBQ deal in Bresnans ...looks good
    6 1/4lb Burgers & Buns; 6 Big Sausages & 10 BBQ Chicken Roasties
    all for 12 euro ... And the forecast isn't bad for Easter weekend :)

Advertisement