Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Scheme/Jobseekers Allowance

Options
  • 29-06-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I'm pretty certain that the answer is no, but can you pursue a full-time Masters degree and keep your unemployment (Jobseekers allowance) benefit? As far as I know you can only study to Bachelors degree level under the Back to Education Scheme.

Anyway, if anybody knows otherwise (or indeed of a legitimate loophole!) please let me know.

Yes I'm clutching at straws!

All the best

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Divisadero wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain that the answer is no, but can you pursue a full-time Masters degree and keep your unemployment (Jobseekers allowance) benefit? As far as I know you can only study to Bachelors degree level under the Back to Education Scheme.

Anyway, if anybody knows otherwise (or indeed of a legitimate loophole!) please let me know.

Yes I'm clutching at straws!

All the best

As far as im aware the only postgrad courses you can do while getting BTEA i the Hdip teaching courses.

I was told by the welfare people that this was being reviewed sometime in July but I reckon its unlikely they will revert back and offer to pay for those on all courses

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Postgraduate courses
    You may get the Back to Education Allowance
    for a postgraduate course of study that leads to
    a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) qualification in any
    discipline or a Graduate Diploma in Education
    (primary and secondary teaching). Other types
    of postgraduate qualifications are not
    recognised for BTEA.
    You will not get BTEA if you already have a
    postgraduate qualification.

www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Thanks Guys. Yes, I was wondering whether with the new govt and all these new initiatives they would review the scheme. On the one hand it would make sense with all this talk of up skilling and trying to get people off the dole etc. However, realistically it's probably a bit much to expect with the public coffers empty. As an aside I don't objectively see the point of the teacher training exemption in the current climate. I mean I don't think we need any more teachers, as those already qualified can't find work and are fighting for poor quality temp contracts. Not that I want to ruin things for those who genuinely dream of becoming teachers, better some postgrad options than none at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cavancola73

yeah defo think the goverment should open up the scheme to other disciplines....money long spent in the long run and will help to shorten the dole qeues.

Advertisement