Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

garda rules

• 29-06-2011 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Can gardai on duty be in a chipper buying chips in uniform and out of patrol car. Is this a break they are allowed to take?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Can gardai on duty be in a chipper buying chips in uniform and out of patrol car. Is this a break they are allowed to take?

How do you know that they are on duty? maybe he was finished or had not even started his shift!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sunnihuckle

gustafo wrote: »
    How do you know that they are on duty? maybe he was finished or had not even started his shift!
    they arrived in a patrol car at the chipper and one went in for chips. if finished why hold up a patrol car

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ShinyDiscoBall

God no, they have to starve themselfs for 8 hours........what a silly question!!!!

Where would you get your lunch/dinner when working.....magic it to the table???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

YES!!!!!! YES!!!!! YES!!!!!! OP Gardai are people just like you, Gardai need to eat, and often have to go and purchase their food. So YES Gardai are allowed be in a chipper in uniform.

Also all stations will have accounts for prisoner meals with local chippers and restaurants. So may have been in there as part of his duty.

This kind of comment really pisses me off. Why do you think it's not acceptable for a person who will work, in a physically demanding job for 8hours (sometimes longer) often with no defined breaks, to go into a chipper and get something they can eat while they continue to work?

If the member is on break then he is picking up his food in the marked patrol car in order to provide a presence on the street. The car will otherwise be sitting outside the station if he is going back there for his break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tippboi

Fail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

tippboi wrote: »
    Epic Fail
    fyp:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Was stuck in a pub carpark (Silverkey) in Cork today by a double parked armed response unit, while a Garda with a handgun was in getting a snackbox!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 westernventure

i can't really believe you went to the trouble of starting a tread for such a stupid comment,

You must be bored dude!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Gee, some people really have chips on their shoulders. No pun intended of course.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No they should not. They should do as follows....

1. Go back to the station in the patrol car when they're due their break

2. Change out of their uniforms into civvies

3. Get into their own cars and drive down to the chipper

4. Drive back to the station in their own cars

5. Eat the fish and chips in the station

6. Change back into uniform

7. Resume their patrol in the official car

Would this grossly inefficient carry-on satisfy you or did you have something else in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Did they have their hats on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Contra Proferentem

Troll fail.

On a serious note, employment law stipulates that employees are entitled to break periods within their hours of work. I imagine this or something similar would apply to members of AGS when on duty.
    YawlBoy wrote:
    Was stuck in a pub carpark (Silverkey) in Cork today by a double parked armed response unit, while a Garda with a handgun was in getting a snackbox!!!
    Now that's someone I wouldn't argue with! A Garda with a handgun in search of a snackbox. The consequences could be dire, I imagine it'd be worse than some of the stuff on shows like When Animals Attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Outrageous to think of those scamps eating real food like chips while in uniform , anyone who ever watched Robo Cop will remember the crude organic paste ( '' tastes like babyfood '' ) that sustained him - if it's good enough for Robo Cop then it's good enough for An Garda Siochana.

When they start going to the bathroom while in uniform then it's time for revolution.

Unreal the whining.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MissHappiness

Now, as a total devils advocate answer, and throwing caution to the wind, if the gardai are on a lunch break, if a situation that required them to attend, would they reply ala Pat Shortt "sorry, we're on lunch", or would they actually go to the scene?? I doubt there is anything set down that Gardai can't call in for a sandwich/beverage (non alcoholic of course!!), breakfast if that's when they're on duty, or otherwise. OP, if this is all you have to worry about, count yourself extremely lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Tell you what you don't see, the days Garda get no lunch/dinner at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

foinse wrote: »
    YES!!!!!! YES!!!!! YES!!!!!! OP Gardai are people just like you, Gardai need to eat, and often have to go and purchase their food. So YES Gardai are allowed be in a chipper in uniform.

Also all stations will have accounts for prisoner meals with local chippers and restaurants. So may have been in there as part of his duty.

This kind of comment really pisses me off. Why do you think it's not acceptable for a person who will work, in a physically demanding job for 8hours (sometimes longer) often with no defined breaks, to go into a chipper and get something they can eat while they continue to work?

If the member is on break then he is picking up his food in the marked patrol car in order to provide a presence on the street. The car will otherwise be sitting outside the station if he is going back there for his break.
    fyeah.jpg?1269221733
    (All together now) F*CK YEA.

Great answer. When he's on it, he's on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

^ fair, completely justified and true tbh. No issue here with Gardaí feeding themselves

What I don't agree with, is gardaí deciding that they can park abandon the car wherever they like while they get their food, just because it's a patrol car. The law provides allowances for gardaí/ES members to break the law (mainly road traffic laws) while in the course of duty. I don't believe that getting lunch counts as in the course of duty, and is just taking the mickey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

HOWEVER, if it's a prisoner meal, we can, and have to, park as close as possible to the vendor. If we don't it's a violation of the prisoner's human rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

coylemj wrote: »
    No they should not. They should do as follows....

1. Go back to the station in the patrol car when they're due their break

2. Change out of their uniforms into civvies

3. Get into their own cars and drive down to the chipper

4. Drive back to the station in their own cars

5. Eat the fish and chips in the station

6. Change back into uniform

7. Resume their patrol in the official car

Would this grossly inefficient carry-on satisfy you or did you have something else in mind?

Actually, if they were to follow motor tax rules like we are meant to (using commercial vehicles privately), one could argue that this is exactly what they should be doing!! ;)

Since when are Garda cars classed as commercial vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yawlboy wrote: »

With a handgun you say?

What should he have done? Given it to you to hold to keep it away from the snackbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Calm down, calm down, and think outside the box a little.

Consider that our leaders want the Guards to enforce the rules regarding using a commercially taxed vehicle privately.

In order for a citizen to be fully legally compliant, the citizen is not allowed to use his commercially taxed vehicle to:

(a) Get to his place of work;
    (b) Get home from his place of work; and
    (c) Use the vehicle for non commercial use - for example getting his lunch.

If a Guard is going to enforce these rules, then said Guard should not be allowed to do any of the above, without paying BIK tax for using their state sponsored vehicle for private use.

And by the way, the ;) emoticon tends to mean that one is not being entirely serious! ;)

Telling someone to calm down when they're already calm (at 5am!) is like telling someone to stop playing a guitar when they're not playing a guitar.

Anyway, the whole topic of Gardaí being exempt from chunks of the RTA has been done to death on here, so in the spirit of not being too serious, I think we can [/thread].
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Op just report it to the ombudsman and do your best to get on with your life while it's investigated.

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    Op just report it to the ombudsman and do your best to get on with your life while it's NOT investigated.

FYP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

FYP :D

Well we can only hope no taxpayers money would be used investingating ****e like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

What about picking "other guards" up at thier house when they are going on a night out and leaving them home after disco / pub .. Private taxi service in the patrol car

What about picking "other guards" up at thier house when they are going on a night out and leaving them home after disco / pub .. Private taxi service in the patrol car

Much the same as giving any drunk person a lift home or a victim of a car theft a lift home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    Much the same as giving any drunk person a lift home or a victim of a car theft a lift home.

But going up to the house to pick them up and leave them down town...

• Advertisement

If it's quiet then I see no harm in it. Gardai are paid to drive around patrolling and to listen to the radio for calls. If a call comes in while transporting members then the call takes precedence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I can think of worse use of an official vehicle - like the time a Govt. minister took a flight from Dublin to his constituency in Kerry and told his (Garda) driver to take the family dog in the ministerial car all the way from Dublin to Kerry i.e. the only 'passenger' in the car was the dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

coylemj wrote: »

I can think of worse use of an official vehicle - like the time a Govt. minister took a flight from Dublin to his constituency in Kerry and told his (Garda) driver to take the family dog in the ministerial car all the way from Dublin to Kerry i.e. the only 'passenger' in the car was the dog.
    You wouldn't expect the guard to walk the dog to Kerry would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 honeyvale

hunger does strange things to gardai all right. i seen one walk into a chip shop and fail to notice the car right outside the door with no tax or nct. gardai = lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

The Gardai can do what they like. Same as in any other countries. A law unto themselves. Look at Harcourt Street. Their cars parked on footpaths and double and treble parked on the road.

They can half kill someone on a night out and not even see the inside of a jail cell as happened recently in cork.

I have no agenda against them as my cousin is one but the above examples are fact.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    The Gardai can do what they like. Same as in any other countries. A law unto themselves. Look at Harcourt Street. Their cars parked on footpaths and double and treble parked on the road.

They can half kill someone on a night out and not even see the inside of a jail cell as happened recently in cork.

I have no agenda against them as my cousin is one but the above examples are fact.
    also see here
    i have no agenda either. apologists and members like to label someone who complains about them. they make fun of complainant to try to neutralise the complaint. I have seen them drive drunk too si they hardly need the squad car to collect them from pubs

• Advertisement

honeyvale wrote: »
    also see here
    i have no agenda either. apologists and members like to label someone who complains about them. they make fun of complainant to try to neutralise the complaint. I have seen them drive drunk too si they hardly need the squad car to collect them from pubs

That article does not help the point you're trying to make. He was afforded a fair trial which he won, just like any other person accused of a criminal offence. The prosecution's case was "confusing" The bouncers withdrew their complaint, (usually enough on its own for a regular criminal case to not even make it to court) and the CCTV evidence didn't show what happened, the facts of the case speak for themselves. Any judge would hand anybody Garda or not a not guilty verdict for that kind of piss poor case.

Yes members do sometimes drink drive, and are dealt with accordingly. Chief Supt in charge of Traffic in Dublin loosing his licence and job a number of years back after being stopped in pheonix park rings a few bells I'm sure.

Trust me on this those of us who just want to do the job as best we can, dislike this behaviour just as much as you do, and take the appropriate action where necessary.

This thread is becoming another Garda bashing joke, The first assault failed.....quickly bring in more reinforcements and badly put together arguments in order to slate the underfunded, undermanned service that is doing its utmost to defend the regular people of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

That article does not help the point you're trying to make. He was afforded a fair trial which he won, just like any other person accused of a criminal offence. The prosecution's case was "confusing" The bouncers withdrew their complaint, (usually enough on its own for a regular criminal case to not even make it to court) and the CCTV evidence didn't show what happened, the facts of the case speak for themselves. Any judge would hand anybody Garda or not a not guilty verdict for that kind of piss poor case.

Yes members do sometimes drink drive, and are dealt with accordingly. Chief Supt in charge of Traffic in Dublin loosing his licence and job a number of years back after being stopped in pheonix park rings a few bells I'm sure.

Trust me on this those of us who just want to do the job as best we can, dislike this behaviour just as much as you do, and take the appropriate action where necessary.

This thread is becoming another Garda bashing joke, The first assault failed.....quickly bring in more reinforcements and badly put together arguments in order to slate the underfunded, undermanned service that is doing its utmost to defend the regular people of Ireland.

I doubt it would have even gone to court if it was a member of the public.

If it's quiet then I see no harm in it. Gardai are paid to drive around patrolling and to listen to the radio for calls. If a call comes in while transporting members then the call takes precedence.

What about insurance issues, what would happen if the car or van was invovled in an accident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

I used to work in Italy for a while a few years back. I recall they had three seperate police forces, the traffic police, the financial police, and the Carabinieri - who were a branch of the military i think, but policed civilians. All of them had guns!

The Carabinieri were the one group that no-one messed with. When they left their vehicles to intervene in an incident or the like the first thing they would do was place on their hands a pair of leather gloves, while staring over at the alleged perpetrator.

We couldn't get the a drunken Albanian to leave the doorway of the pub one night, as we weren't leaving him in, when he started to get a bit agressive we had to call the police. He nearly shat himself when he saw the Carabineiri arrive.

Anyway whatever about the merit of this post/thread generally, I agree its complete nonsense, I wanted to point out that after I'd finish work in the Pub, I'd usually go to a late cocktail club or something, and every night more or less, standing at the bar downing shots of tequila and jagermeister, still in full uniform, gun and all, were members of the local police. Off duty? Hopefully!

I used to work in Italy for a while a few years back. I recall they had three seperate police forces, the traffic police, the financial police, and the Carabinieri - who were a branch of the military i think, but policed civilians. All of them had guns!

The Carabinieri were the one group that no-one messed with. When they left their vehicles to intervene in an incident or the like the first thing they would do was place on their hands a pair of leather gloves, while staring over at the alleged perpetrator.

We couldn't get the a drunken Albanian to leave the doorway of the pub one night, as we weren't leaving him in, when he started to get a bit agressive we had to call the police. He nearly shat himself when he saw the Carabineiri arrive.

Anyway whatever about the merit of this post/thread generally, I agree its complete nonsense, I wanted to point out that after I'd finish work in the Pub, I'd usually go to a late cocktail club or something, and every night more or less, standing at the bar downing shots of tequila and jagermeister, still in full uniform, gun and all, were members of the local police. Off duty? Hopefully!

I had a college friend of mine who worked in Italy for years. He told me you absolutely never ever mess with the police over there. They beat you first and ask questions later.

• Advertisement

I'm not entirely sure they even ask question after.

That's the difference between a police force and a police service.

just because they are tough men in their uniform and guns does not make it right. drinking in uniform hardly right

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I had a college friend of mine who worked in Italy for years. He told me you absolutely never ever mess with the police over there. They beat you first and ask questions later.
    that is the actions of thugs

Im glad you agree Honeyvale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

With a handgun you say?

What should he have done? Given it to you to hold to keep it away from the snackbox?

I have visions of that Garda sprinkling salt and vinegar on the handgun and stuffing his snackbox in his holster................................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

who needs the Garda ombudsman when there are people like you around! Why not go the whole hog and ring Joe Duffy, he'll make a national incident of it, unless they were getting a deal for "fiver Friday" which according to Joe is going to turn our economy around! This country has no shortage of fools alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Could be getting a meal for a prisoner.

Nevermind that if you're upset about gardai eating chips you're going to be a very upset and irrational person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Bosco boy wrote: »
    who needs the Garda ombudsman when there are people like you around! Why not go the whole hog and ring Joe Duffy, he'll make a national incident of it, unless they were getting a deal for "fiver Friday" which according to Joe is going to turn our economy around! This country has no shortage of fools alright!
    thats what i mean by people trying to neutralise it by mocking. you sound like a garda members like to label someone who complains about them. they make fun of complainant to try to neutralise the complaint.

gardai lol
    heard one, also a footballer, on late late show once boasting and laughing about how day after a big football match he pulled his patrol car into a field for a sleep
    gardai lol

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement