Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old lease does it stand up

• 29-06-2011 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I am looking to break my lease and my landlord will not give me back my deposit

The lease has no mention of the 2004 act just 1993 and telecom eireann!

Does this lease stand up?

Thanks,
    Thom

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

TomThom wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to break my lease and my landlord will not give me back my deposit

The lease has no mention of the 2004 act just 1993 and telecom eireann!

Does this lease stand up?

Thanks,
    Thom
    I have never seen a lease stand up.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

We don't allow legal advice here.

The lease should be clear on its face under what conditions and in which circumstances it can be breached and what penalties if any apply. Leases regardless of their age are good once there is nothing fatal in the drafting of same. This is unusual.

Take legal advice unless the breach, notice to quit or terms of breach by consent are not clear to you from a simple reading of it.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭rocksteady36

I think you should look at the new BER Cert loophole...

If a landlord does not produce a BER Cert when you sign the lease then apparently you can legally break the lease.

Also the onus lays solely with the landlord. It is an offence punishable by a fine as far as I am aware.

You can verify this yourself, pretty sure its true though.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

BER?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Tom Young wrote: »
    BER?

There was a thread on it in Accommodation & Property:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056288647

• Advertisement

Building Energy Rating

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

OP seek a solicitor if you need legal advice.

Folks, the ban on seeking legal advice applies equally, if not more so, to the giving of it.

To set the record straight, failure to produce a BER is an offence only. Nowhere in the Regulations does it state that leases, deeds etc. are invalidated.

http://www.landlordsolutions.ie/news/no-ber-certificate-may-mean-no-enforceable-contract-with-your-tenant/

From Landlordsolutions.ie

No BER Cert? Not only are there statutory consequences, there may also be contractual consequences!

It is now well documented that a Landlord who offers for sale or letting his property, is required to produce a copy of the BER Certificate and Advisory Report for that property. The obligation extends to include any agent of the Landlord, to produce a BER Certificate and Advisory Report to every potential tenant, prior to any agreement being entered into between the parties.

Both the Local Authorities and Sustainable Energy Ireland (“SEI”) are responsible for enforcing the requirements of the Regulations and failure by the owner, or the agent of such owner, to produce without reasonable excuse within 28 days a printed copy of a BER Certificate is an offence which may be punishable by fine on summary conviction not exceeding €5,000.00c.

However, over and above the risk of statutory penalties being incurred under the Regulations all landlords should be aware that If a BER Certificate and Advisory Report is not provided by the Landlord prior to signing a lease agreement, this flaw cannot be remedied by any subsequent provision of a BER Certificate and Advisory Report unless the tenant is simultaneously given the opportunity to pull out the contract.

It is our view that non-production or late production of a BER cert could be used by a tenant to undermine any contract or lease agreement which was entered into with a Landlord.

In this way, it is vital that a Landlord produces a BER Certificate and Advisory Report when the property is offered for let, firstly so as not to delay the completion of a letting and secondly to protect against a tenant attempting to avoid contract or lease agreement subsequently entered into.

There is a rake of other documents, one memo that was circulated by the Law Society also...

I don't think this is advice but merely a an article that the OP might like to read? If this is deemed advice, I apologise..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

The only thing is that the "opinion" given in that article is not backed up in any way. Just because it's from a landlords' website does not mean it's right. Do they quote or reference any case or piece of legislation that supports their view?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Again, the Regulations do not provide for any right to rescind a contract, lease or whatever. That article seems to suggest that a tenant might be able to use the threat of reporting non-compliance as leverage, which is another matter entirely.

I think this thread has run its course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement