Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to tell what type of wood is in fence

• 29-06-2011 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

What sort of wood is in a picket fence? Is it rough sawn wood? i need to know for purpose of treating it. This is supposed to be good and is solvent based I think. water based like fencelife are useless in my exp

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Treated spruce, most likely. Rough sawn just means that the timber hasn't been planed. If it feels coarse and fibrous it is likely to be sawn, if it feels smooth it is likely to be planed.
    Can't tell you for sure without seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sunnihuckle

slowburner wrote: »
    Treated spruce, most likely. Rough sawn just means that the timber hasn't been planed. If it feels coarse and fibrous it is likely to be sawn, if it feels smooth it is likely to be planed.
    Can't tell you for sure without seeing it.
    i will post a pic later when you say 'treated spruce' do you mean it is already treated? do i need to paint it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Chances are it has been pre-treated but I can't say until I see a pic :)

Chances are it has been pre-treated but I can't say until I see a pic :)
    should the nail hoes be covered with caulk before treating and if so what caulk.

Ok here is a pic http://picturepush.com/host.php?image=5995774

should the nail hoes be covered with caulk before treating and if so what caulk.

Ok here is a pic http://picturepush.com/host.php?image=5995774

It looks as if the timber has been dipped or sprayed rather than pressure treated - based on the visibility of bare wood, especially around the nails. This means the preservative sits on the surface of the wood rather than penetrating into it. I would be inclined to give it a coat of clear preservative, paying particular attention to the nail holes (this is where rot is most likely to get a hold). Let the preservative dry and apply your finish coat. You might have to use a finish which can be painted over preservative. Once you have put preservative into the nail holes there shouldn't be any need to fill them with caulk other than for aesthetic reasons.

• Advertisement

It looks as if the timber has been dipped or sprayed rather than pressure treated - based on the visibility of bare wood, especially around the nails. This means the preservative sits on the surface of the wood rather than penetrating into it. I would be inclined to give it a coat of clear preservative, paying particular attention to the nail holes (this is where rot is most likely to get a hold). Let the preservative dry and apply your finish coat. You might have to use a finish which can be painted over preservative. Once you have put preservative into the nail holes there shouldn't be any need to fill them with caulk other than for aesthetic reasons.
    thanks
    clear preservative? can you suggest one?

Cuprinol is one and Protim is another. If you ask in any builder's merchants for a clear wood preservative they will probably have other brands but they are all pretty much the same thing.
    Your fence should last for donkey's years then :)

Advertisement