Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due date issues

Options
  • 29-06-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hello all,

I hope you are all feeling fantastic :D I am hoping that some of you can give me some advice as I'm a little worried.

Basically according to my own dates I am 34 weeks pregnant today which would make my due date the 10th of August. The hospital, however, have said that my due date is the 17th of August according to my first scan at 7 weeks. As we had a rocky start to the pregnancy we went for a private anomaly scan and at that we were told that the baby was measuring a week ahead and she put the due date at the 10th of August which matched mine exactly. My midwife has often said the baby is measuring ahead also. I have not mentioned this to the hospital yet and I'm not sure how to go about it. I am worried because if i go overdue my own date by a week I will still be on time according to the hospital and I have heard that the longer overdue you go the more at risk baby is.

Have any of you had a similar experience? Any advise?:confused:
    xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

For my second baby my dates were 10 days before my one and only scan (which was done around week 23-24). My dates had me due on 10 Sept, my scan had me due 20 Sept. From what I was told at the time, they put more priority on the scan date b/c it's easy to miscalculate dates due on last missed period (some women have different cycles, sometimes the exact LMP date is off, etc).
    Of course, the later a scan is done the less accurate the dating is, so it's kind of a catch-22 if you don't have your scan until week 23.

That said, when 10 Sept came & went, I was still only 38+4 weeks by my scan. It got to the point that, on 22 Sept I was 12 days over by dates but only 2 days over by scan. Neither of those "overdue" amounts were bad, per se, but I knew they were getting antsy and would have induced me. Babes was born on 23 Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

Hi Twinkleboots,

My wife has the same issue. She is due 1st August, but by our dates she is 24th July. Also, we had a scan at 13 weeks that confirmed 24th July, but she also had two scans prior to that, and they confirmed 1st August. I mentioned it to her GP last week, and I'll mention it to the obstetrician the week after next. They do say, the earlier scans are more accurate, but if you are worried, I think they will just monitor you more closely. When it gets close, they may see you twice a week, just to make sure everything is OK (at least that's what the wife's doc said would happen).

Best of luck!

Soddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kimmers12345

Hello all,

I hope you are all feeling fantastic :D I am hoping that some of you can give me some advice as I'm a little worried.

Basically according to my own dates I am 34 weeks pregnant today which would make my due date the 10th of August. The hospital, however, have said that my due date is the 17th of August according to my first scan at 7 weeks. As we had a rocky start to the pregnancy we went for a private anomaly scan and at that we were told that the baby was measuring a week ahead and she put the due date at the 10th of August which matched mine exactly. My midwife has often said the baby is measuring ahead also. I have not mentioned this to the hospital yet and I'm not sure how to go about it. I am worried because if i go overdue my own date by a week I will still be on time according to the hospital and I have heard that the longer overdue you go the more at risk baby is.

Have any of you had a similar experience? Any advise?:confused:
    xxx
    Hi...I have very irregular periods so when I got pregnant with my first I went for an early scan at 7 weeks...the synographer told me that the earlier the scan, the more accurate the date...I then had my little girl the day b4 my due date which was
    nearly exact...I am now pregnant on my second and again had an eay scan at 9 weeks and I'm due November 7th...when I had d early scan the synographer told me to let them know at d hospital as they will go by this...if I didn't hav d early scan I would hav been 18 weeks b4 they could measure the baby and there prob could hav been the chance they would b out by a week...so in all I'd go by the early scan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

All my babies came early so i never even reached my due date. 2 came 1 week early and 1 came 5 weeks early.

All the dates were spot on all came out different sizes 1st, 1 week early she was a 54 cm baby 4 cm bigger than average (for gestation) also weighted 9lb 1, second 5 weeks early 1 cm shorter than average (for gestation) but weighed 7lb 6oz, 3rd guy 1 week early 1cm shorter than average (for gestation) and weighed 8lb 15 oz.

Also with the first i had a scan at 8 weeks so dating was accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

My wife is due today and no sign of anything yet anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

-Corkie- wrote: »
    My wife is due today and no sign of anything yet anyway..

Any sign of babs yet Corkie?:)

Any sign of babs yet Corkie?:)

Not yet....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Not yet....:(

Don't stress. . . my last one was 13 days late :D my 2nd was 12 days late and the first was 7 days :eek:. . just unplug your phone and ignore the texts ;)
    Best of luck

cbyrd wrote: »
    Don't stress. . . my last one was 13 days late :D my 2nd was 12 days late and the first was 7 days :eek:. . just unplug your phone and ignore the texts ;)
    Best of luck

Thanks folks. I feel so sorry for her not able to move about the place. I have been trying some subtle things like asking her would she like a hot curry/warm bath and other things I wont mention....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I was looking back at my old scan and 12 week scan said 22nd but my dates were 28th so they went with my dates and I didn't have her till the 5th. I'm glad they listened to my dates as I was grand the last few weeks and wouldn't of liken to be induced. But in saying that I was frustrated cause I kept remembering hospital saying 22nd so I had that in my head a little as due date

• Advertisement
Advertisement