Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical: garden shed connection to domestic supply

Options
  • 29-06-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    My garden shed is wired and I’d like to clarify the options available for connection to my domestic supply. All advice/info appreciated!

The shed has its own small consumer unit, supplying a single socket circuit and a single lighting circuit. A 16mm2 SWA cable is brought from the shed back up along the side of the house.

The most convenient point of connection would be directly to the load (outgoing) side of the ESB meter. But is this permitted? If so, what’s the likely charge for breaking/re-making the meter seals?

If connection at the ESB meter isn’t permitted, can I connect to the domestic consumer unit at any point of my choosing or does the connection have to be downstream of the main 63A fuse? Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

[Already posted in Construction & Planning sub-forum but this may be a better place]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

there's no options really

the swa sub-main goes downstream of the 63amp fuse on a non-rcd protected way

assuming you've rcd in shed

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Great, thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, there's an RCD in the shed's consumer unit.

Can you tell me, is the connection method you describe stipulated by the regs (i.e. mandatory)? I'd happily do the research myself but don't really fancy forking out €97.50 for the privilege! I'm safely assuming here that there isn't a freebie PDF version of the regs knocking about anywhere online.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

are you an electrician or what

Yes I am, though not practicing as one these days, so wasn't sure what the current Irish regs had to say on this.

The shed in question is my own, by the way, so I'm not trying to profit from free advice here. I'd just like to make sure that the job is completed to the required standard and not find myself on the wrong side of the ESB or anyone else further down the line.

Again, thanks for your help.

it's standard practice

everything goes downstream of main isolating switch and ocpd

• Advertisement

Thanks. My time on the tools was all in maintenance roles, so did little in the domestic or installation line. Got familiar with the IEE regs when studying for my City & Guilds but never needed to use them in day-to-day work.

Will probably need to drill a separate hole in the wall - too awkward to get that SWA into the cavity with the existing T+E. But at least I now know what to focus on.

Good luck!

Advertisement