Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Manga in Ireland

Options
  • 29-06-2011 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I was once a huge Anime/Manga fan! Main reason I stopped being one is the prices of Manga novels in Ireland! Why is a one hour read so expensive!? :eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭megaten

Buy them from bookdepository.co.uk. There usually 4-7 euro a volume which is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I usually reuse the pages as <snip>, might as well get my moneys worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

lionfish wrote: »
    I was once a huge Anime/Manga fan! Main reason I stopped being one is the prices of Manga novels in Ireland! Why is a one hour read so expensive!? :eek:
    Blame the distributors & wholesalers.
    The shops don't really dictate their own prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I know they're expensive for such a short read - an hour? Mine last half that :/ - but Forbidden Planet have a constant 3 for 2 deal on manga. Each volume is usually 8ish euro so you can get 3 volumes for 16-17 euro which isn't too bad imo. I just read normal books in between manga to try and stretch them out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Numina wrote: »
    I usually reuse the pages as <snip>, might as well get my moneys worth.

This is a family friendly forum, careful with the comments >_>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lionfish

I picked up my first manga novel from the bookshelf the other night and was reminded of how they can be such page turners :) I might have stopped buying the novels but I'll always love the talent that goes into them

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

I know what you mean but they are even more expensive in Austria...
    I live there half the year and it's insame.
    I always order them online, too - it's way cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

France is too awesome for manga.

Fully translated, uncensored (IIRC), and only 4-5 euro a pop.

And they have EVERYTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Read in Japanese and they might last longer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    France is too awesome for manga.

Fully translated, uncensored (IIRC), and only 4-5 euro a pop.

And they have EVERYTHING.
    Yeap, but as far i remember France was first country in Europe to get interested in a&m. Almost every anime series in Poland in 90's had French dub.
    In other hand we have to look at different things like incomes or taxes, etc plus the irish market isnt so big as french one so the price can be high because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I suppose its impossible to get newly released volumes of manga in Ireland, and translated at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Yeap, but as far i remember France was first country in Europe to get interested in a&m. Almost every anime series in Poland in 90's had French dub.

France has a very large comic book industry of it's own so there is not only the market there to buy the comics but far more options for selling them. They produce a massive amount of new titles each year and host a number of festivals including the annual Angouleme festival which is one of the largest comic book festival in the world. It is a very similar culture to the comics culture in Japan in that going into a career in comics is not seen as odd there and it is a very respected art forum in France.

What that means for the price of comics is that unlike the majority of English speaking countries they have their own publishers who will pay for licening and printing of French editions and have their own distrubition channels and aren't held to ransom by Diamond. If a shop in Ireland wants to sell comics they have two options either buy via Diamond or buy via a book seller. For book sellers the options are Easons or go to the UK. The majority of small book stores around the country order from Easons Wholesale as they are the only Irish based book seller. The likes of Dubray books buy books direct themselves but that can be hit and miss as far as costs go and they tend to not focus on what they would view as niche markets. Ording from the UK means higher costs in terms of shipping and the Euro/Sterling exchange rate.

The other option is to buy from Diamond. Diamond is pretty much the only North American comic book distributor left after the 90's crash of the american direct market comic book industry. They have exculsive deals with pretty much every comic book publisher in the US and as the majority of english translations of Japanese titles are american editions it means they are also the main distributor for them as well. The likes of Dark Horse for example who publish english editions of a number of Japanese and Korean comics. If you own a comic book store you have to order from Diamond and there are a number of issues with this. Firstly they have very high minimum order numbers. Alot of smaller shops just can't afford to order with them [only two shops in Ireland currently order from them] Second if your ordering from Ireland you have to order via Diamond UK and pay sterling even though the stuff is shipping mainly from the US. Diamond won't allow you to order in american dollars which given the exchange rate would be cheaper then ordering in sterling. All this adds to the cover cost difference you see between Ireland and France [that plus turn over as comic shops in France do far more business then any in Ireland or the UK]

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

You could always read manga online

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

ztoical wrote: »
    France has a very large comic book industry of it's own so there is not only the market there to buy the comics but far more options for selling them. They produce a massive amount of new titles each year and host a number of festivals including the annual Angouleme festival which is one of the largest comic book festival in the world. It is a very similar culture to the comics culture in Japan in that going into a career in comics is not seen as odd there and it is a very respected art forum in France.

The French have their own comics like Japan has manga and it is called Bande Desinee. I read some of it a few years ago when I working in France, the art style is alittle abit like Manga but has more of European art style. I would of liked to read more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I suppose its impossible to get newly released volumes of manga in Ireland, and translated at that?

Why did I ask such a stupid question? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ami1989

Easons from what I know no longer seem to have manga. thebookdepoistry is amazing though. They have free shipping too :D

Tristram wrote: »
    Read in Japanese and they might last longer ;)

Only the first couple last longer, once you realise they read right-to-left you'll go as quick as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

ami1989 wrote: »
    Easons from what I know no longer seem to have manga. thebookdepoistry is amazing though. They have free shipping too :D

Because all they stocked was Tokyopop titles and that company has since gone bust.

Advertisement