Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Limerick boundary extension into Clare

• 29-06-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭

Surprised nobody picked up on this: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0629/1224299729572.html

The two Limerick councils will merge in 3 years time but the Minister has ruled out any change to the boundary with Clare.

Looks as if this long running saga can finally be put to bed.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Why would people pick up on something that's nothing to do with Clare? There's a good thread in the Limerick forum if anyone wants to discuss things.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

hopefullly it will get our country councillors and clare council of the fence and now deal with the planning issues and take westbury in charge.with the new site vaulation coming in the estate could bring in 170000e in funding a nice little earner for clare.hopefully the traffic will be sorted as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Clareman wrote: »
    Why would people pick up on something that's nothing to do with Clare? There's a good thread in the Limerick forum if anyone wants to discuss things.

It has a lot to do with Clare. It says they won't be annexing any land from Clare, which they were proposing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Clareman wrote: »

Maybe I should have phrased it differently. No, the Limerick councils merging has nothing to do with Clare but as they have being trying to get the Dept. of the Environment to extend their boundary into Clare for years the Minister's decision now means this contentious proposal is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Can ye stay in Clare so and give us back our jobs and stopping ruining the traffic into and out of the city in Corbally :D:p :pac: :P ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Announced today that Clare VEC will merge with Limerick city & county. I wouldn't rule out further amalgamation in any sense. Afterall we were told services were not downgraded but actually enhanced in Ennis hospital after it closed at 8pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

kilburn wrote: »
    Can ye stay in Clare so and give us back our jobs and stopping ruining the traffic into and out of the city in Corbally :D:p :pac: :P ;)
    Can ye stay in Luimneach so and stop ruining all the good factories of Shannon?:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Can ye stay in Luimneach so and stop ruining all the good factories of Shannon?:D

No wonder the way the country is with all this carry on! I'm a clare man, but I would seriously object to any boundary extension into Clare.

Also, Dell have created new jobs with this new Virtual Servers. I think this is shannon, but I'm open to correction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

I have a big problem with bland imported and totally inapproptiate place names such as ' Westbury'. Now that Westbury is definitely a part of Clare, I would suggest that the residents of Westbury get together and change the name of the place to something that reflects the original local Clare townland names. I imagine that the name ' Westbury' was imposed by some developer so as to give the place some kind of snob value. What exactly is a ' Westbury' anyway? I imagine that some research on English placenames may come up with the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Clareboy wrote: »
    I have a big problem with bland imported and totally inapproptiate place names such as ' Westbury'. Now that Westbury is definitely a part of Clare, I would suggest that the residents of Westbury get together and change the name of the place to something that reflects the original local Clare townland names. I imagine that the name ' Westbury' was imposed by some developer so as to give the place some kind of snob value. What exactly is a ' Westbury' anyway? I imagine that some research on English placenames may come up with the answer.

I agree. It should be called Knockballynameath.

• Advertisement

I agree. It should be called Knockballynameath.
    no it should be athlunkard .correction it is athlunkard.has been for years. corbally is over the river shannon and knockballynameath is across the main road from westbury.

Clareboy wrote: »
    the name westbury would have been decided by clare coco and the developer.nothing to do the residents. it may be legally difficult to change .land registration,morgages etc.but there is nothing to stop residents using westbury,athlunkard,co clare. i don't get the snob value.unless u think westbury is the 5 star hotelin dublin.come into westbury and u will be disapointed if u expect to find all the facilities that go with a 5 star hotel.the placce is fill of potholes broken lights and to day the swell of sewage.lovely hay.

i am sooo happy pot holes filled in ,in westbury. good on you clare co council . would it be asking to much if the street lighting could be fixed soon. before the winter, please,

Advertisement