Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

suggestions needed please

• 29-06-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hi all
    i have a quick question for the satellite forum,i'm just after moving into a house which is all set up for sky but i only want to get a FTA or freeview box.ideally i'm looking for a HD free to air or Freeview that i can just plug in and start watching immediately.
    cost of the box isn't an issue so all replies and suggestions will be much appreciated..thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Freeview does not exist in Ireland.

What type of functionality do you want ?

If its just the UK channels then get a Freesat HD box. However this will not pick up the Irish channels which are not free to air on 28.2 (where your dish is pointed)

Thats where you get into the HD Combo box discussion.

Saorview - the Irish channels broadcast in MPEG4 SD and HD on dvb-t.

You would receive both the free channels off the sat dish and Irish Digital off an aerial on the one box with one remote and channel list.

Ferguson Ariva 120 HD Combo is the cheapest out there in the budget box range with much the same if not a little more in the budget market.

After that they go up with functionality.

See the terrestrial forum for more info http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

• Registered Users Posts: 31 niallhy

thanks for that reply,all i'm looking for is the freesat HD box cause i've no interest in any of the irish channels.was looking at the sagem hd box on satellite.ie.
    any thoughts on the quality of this box??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

niallhy wrote: »
    thanks for that reply,all i'm looking for is the freesat HD box cause i've no interest in any of the irish channels.was looking at the sagem hd box on satellite.ie.

I couldnt honestly tell you. Important point the FREESAT HD+ hd boxes can record. The Freesat HD boxes in the main are just receivers. Good site for freesat product comparison.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/digital-boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 31 niallhy

thats great thanks for all your help i've gone and purchased a Freesat HD box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

similar to op here.
    Im just after moving into a house in tipperary, wanting to get a decent setup.
    the original tenants had sky, but took the box. the sattelite is left along with the cable to it so i was wondering can i just hook up any sort of box to it?

seems from comments i can just get a saorview box and it will work no problem? or if i get a tv with a dvb-t tuner will i just be able to plug it in directly to that and just tune the channels in?

cheers for any help. I need a tv also and considering getting ones with tuners. most of the cheap ones online are "freeview" etc.. not sure if they are compatible so its confusing me. If i can just plugin a saorview one. ill go to harvey norman or somewhere

Also will i be able to get uk/ american freeview channels with this also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

niallhy wrote: »

I'd go for a Humax HD box, I've had one since Freesat launched and it hasn't failed me yet. In work, we bought a few cheap SD boxes made by various manufacturers (not Humax), which have since given up the ghost due to overheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo box is by far the best value on the market at present. Gives you all the DTT channels and all the FTA channels including the BBC & ITV HD channels. See the Terrestial forum where this box has its own thread. Box available to boardies at a discounted price from www.satellite.ie. Tony from there is a regular poster here & is most helpful.

Advertisement