Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC Build - Compatible?

Options
  • 29-06-2011 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hey guys, I'm building a PC for my birthday present and I'm not sure as to whether these parts will work, as some of them are by non-partnered companies (e.g. nVidia and AMD)
    If they aren't compatible, could you find me a similar replacement in the same price/quality range.

Asus M4A79XTD EVO, AMD 790X, AM3, 4DDR3, 2PCI-Ex16, CrossfireX Dualx8, Raid, 8 CHHD Sound, ATX
    €85.87

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200rpm SATA 3Gb/s 32MB
    €45.56

XIGMATEK NRP-VC503 500W PSU
    €38.45

Corsair Memory 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz 240-pin DIMM CL9
    €70.96

Plextor DVD-RW 24x SATA Black Retail
    €29.16

XIGMATEK Asgard Chassis
    €30.40

Gainward GeForce GT 520 810MHz 1GB PCI-Express HDMI SilentFX
    €47.80

AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5Ghz Black Edition AM3
    €155.24

Creative Audigy SE 7.1 PCI
    €30.96

Thanks,
    Stephen.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Here's a build but with a better CPU. I also dropped the sound card as thats unecessary with modern motherboards. Is there anything in particular you are going to be using this for? The graphics card isn't great if you plan on doing any sort of gaming.

Total build cost: €433.52 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155 €150.21
    MSI H61M-E33 (B3), Intel H61, mATX, DDR3 €53.03
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €54.98
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09
    Xigmatek Asgard III Midi Tower - black, ohne Netzteil €32.63
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.19
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €17.71
    Club 3D GT 520, 1024MB DDR3 €39.68

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ChimpyGamer

deconduo wrote: »
    Here's a build but with a better CPU. I also dropped the sound card as thats unecessary with modern motherboards. Is there anything in particular you are going to be using this for? The graphics card isn't great if you plan on doing any sort of gaming.

Total build cost: €433.52 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155 €150.21
    MSI H61M-E33 (B3), Intel H61, mATX, DDR3 €53.03
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €54.98
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09
    Xigmatek Asgard III Midi Tower - black, ohne Netzteil €32.63
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.19
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €17.71
    Club 3D GT 520, 1024MB DDR3 €39.68

Wow, thanks alot! :)
    That's saving me over €150, but since I have a €500 budget, is there anything that can be upgraded? Also, no offents, but that site looks somewhat dodgey, is it safe?

Wow, thanks alot! :)
    That's saving me over €150, but since I have a €500 budget, is there anything that can be upgraded? Also, no offents, but that site looks somewhat dodgey, is it safe?

I've built 10 computers with them and never had any problem. They can be a bit tricky if you try and order something thats out of stock, but its easy to avoid that by only ordering in stock items :P However they only take PayPal or bank transfer as payment, so no credit cards.

What are you going to be using the computer for? I need to know so I can tell what to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

That site looks somewhat dodgey, is it safe?

Its the most reliable hardware site there is, every other hardware site is dodgy compared to hardwareversand.de

I've built 10 computers with them and never had any problem. They can be a bit tricky if you try and order something thats out of stock, but its easy to avoid that by only ordering in stock items :P However they only take PayPal or bank transfer as payment, so no credit cards.

What are you going to be using the computer for? I need to know so I can tell what to upgrade.

I'm using it primarily for gaming and making YouTube videos, hence the large RAM.

• Advertisement

I'm using it primarily for gaming and making YouTube videos, hence the large RAM.

Yeah if its for gaming you need a better graphics card.

Get this if you can afford it:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39467&agid=1004

Or this one if you can't:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29498&agid=1004

Yeah if its for gaming you need a better graphics card.

Get this if you can afford it:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39467&agid=1004

Or this one if you can't:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29498&agid=1004

Is there a GeForce GFX card in the same price range as the Radeon HD 6780?
    Because as far as I know Radeon works better with AMD and nVidia works better with Intel.

Because as far as I know Radeon works better with AMD and nVidia works better with Intel.

Nope, AMD works just as well with Intel chips as Nvidia do. And those graphics cards are the best value for money in that pricerange.

Nope, AMD works just as well with Intel chips as Nvidia do. And those graphics cards are the best value for money in that pricerange.

Oh, ok, thanks.
    Last question, where do I find keyboards and mice on the website, also speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

Oh, ok, thanks.
    Last question, where do I find keyboards and mice on the website, also speakers.

Peripherals Section :)

• Advertisement

Oh, ok, thanks.
    Mouse:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp?agid=93&search.reset=1&search.sKey=

Speakers:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp?agid=87&search.reset=1&search.sKey=

Don't get a keyboard from them as it would be a German layout

Okay, thanks for all your help, wish me luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Only thing I've heard to support that would be with AMD HyperCrossfire (Or something like that) - It's something that comes with a motherboard with increases graphic power by using the onboard ATI & Your ATI GPU. Don't know if Nvidia have anything like that

Just looked, and according to hardwareversand the HDD only supports Vista...
    could that cause problems, as I'm going to be using Windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Should be fine. I think it says that because it was made during the time Vista was the new OS. It'll be fine with Windows 7

No it works with windows 7 don't worry. Its the HDD I have :)

Okay, so at the end of it all, my gaming computer build looks like this:

Case: Xigmatek Asgard III Midi Tower
    Motherboard: MSI H61M-E33 (B3), Intel H61, mATX, DDR3
    GFX: XFX RADEON HD 6870
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155
    PSU: Super-Flower SF550P14P, 550Watt
    RAM: 8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9
    HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)
    Peripheral Drive: Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA

This PC is going to be used for gaming with Windows 7 Ultimate Edition or Windows XP if Windows 7 doesn't work for some reason. Only drawback is that I would like an ATX, not a miniATX.

Also, there is this little rubber "Jersey Rubberframe" €2.05. Would it be worth my while to get it?

Sorry for the double post/bump but...

Ugh, I'm getting annoyed. Reading reviews that it'll take a month for my PC to come with HWV, overclockers.co.uk is overpriced for me, dabs supposedly has terrible customer support, and all the mainstream sites like amazon or pix are wayyy overpriced. :/

Wrong PSU, but apart from that it looks good. This is the one you want:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30069&agid=1628

The rubber thing is to reduce vibration from PSUs, but its kind of pointless tbh.

There's not really any big drawback to having an mATX board in your build. It won't cause a problem as you shouldn't be looking to overclock, have multiple GPUs or 16GB of RAM in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Ugh, I'm getting annoyed. Reading reviews that it'll take a month for my PC to come with HWV, overclockers.co.uk is overpriced for me, dabs supposedly has terrible customer support, and all the mainstream sites like amazon or pix are wayyy overpriced. :/
    hwvs is a fairly reliable site, most people get their parts within 2 weeks(around 8 days I think is the norm) if you order items that are in stock.
    http://scan.co.uk/ are also a very good/cheap site to use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Just don't order anything with yellow or red stock levels from HWVS and your shipping speeds should only be around a week or thereabouts.

Yeah order items that are all in stock, pay by bank transfer, make sure your address is clear and you should have your PC within 10 days.

Wrong PSU, but apart from that it looks good. This is the one you want:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30069&agid=1628

The rubber thing is to reduce vibration from PSUs, but its kind of pointless tbh.

There's not really any big drawback to having an mATX board in your build. It won't cause a problem as you shouldn't be looking to overclock, have multiple GPUs or 16GB of RAM in the future.

Well, I just got a Silverstone case off of my cousin, I have yet to identify. I'll post it tomorrow. Hopefully it won't conflict. Should it?

Well, I just got a Silverstone case off of my cousin, I have yet to identify. I'll post it tomorrow. Hopefully it won't conflict. Should it?

As long as its an ATX or mATX case its fine.

I want my friend to build a computer (to save money and get a better PC), but he's skeptical about building. He can't build one himself, and he doesn't trust me to build it. Is there any service that would put it together for him? He wants to get a pre-built one but I told him they're a waste of money and they use stock parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that site will build it for €20 extra but they may not put the graphics card in as it may become damaged in transit

Yes, but is the latter more powerful? I thought mATX boards were for small PCs and Home Theatres. :o

ATX cases generally have better airflow leading to lower temperatures and noise. Thats pretty much it though.

Well, do you think you could find me an ATX-equivalent of the current? I'm terrible at this stuff :(

• Advertisement

Well, do you think you could find me an ATX-equivalent of the current? I'm terrible at this stuff :(

Oh I was talking about the case not the board. ATX motherboards usually have more features such as extra RAM, PCI-E and SATA ports. However for a budget build it doesn't make any difference in performance. You'd probably have to pay upwards of €80 for a similar ATX board for a handful of extra features that you probably wouldn't notice.

Advertisement