Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice + Profits

Options
  • 29-06-2011 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

tonight they made biscuits and sold them to a large supermarket for about £800k, who gets that money?

BBC
    Alan Sugar
    someone else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FranSansisco

i can't suppose the BBC condones, or even allows him to get paid from the show!
    i know the BBC aren't as pure as the snow, however that goes against everything they are supposed to uphold!
    (maybe i am being naive)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's a dog food called Everydog already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭Heroditas

tonight they made biscuits and sold them to a large supermarket for about £800k, who gets that money?

BBC
    Alan Sugar
    someone else

The products aren't real.

Heroditas wrote: »
    The products aren't real.

eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

eh?

They are only prototypes, and don't go into actual production. You can't go into Asda & buy tonight's bikkies.

• Advertisement

Speedsie wrote: »
    They are only prototypes, and don't go into actual production. You can't go into Asda & buy tonight's bikkies.

so one of the main buyers for Asda is willing to give up a couple of hours time to humour a tv production rather than actually making money?!
    wow, i find that incredulous in this type or capitalistic market!

sorry to be a doubting Thomas, but can you provide evidence of this?

edit: (i've never watched the program and my house mate is asking the question, is this an established element from previous series?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

so one of the main buyers for Asda is willing to give up a couple of hours time to humour a tv production rather than actually making money?!

If advertising were being sold for something with ratings like The Apprentice has how much would it cost? Double or more for the fact that it's in-show and I'm pretty sure that they'd be happy enough to give an hour or two for the exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Speedsie wrote: »

Really?

http://www.bodyrocka.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was reading a bit more on this. In a past series they developed and pitched a fitness product to John Lewis, a huge retail chain

John Lewis then got so many enquiries about it from customers they put it into production and now it sells extremely well in the UK and Ireland

So I suppose the factory and the baker who helped Venture last night will be ramping up production and can sell these 800,000 units if Asda finalize the deal

sorry to be a doubting Thomas, but can you provide evidence of this?

edit: (i've never watched the program and my house mate is asking the question, is this an established element from previous series?)

It's free publicity for the likes of Asda.

• Advertisement

That's different though. That is an actual product that they picked and had to pitch.

There's two different types of products in the series.
    The first is an actual product that they have to choose and try to promote. An example of this is the Bodyrocka.

The second type of product is the biscuit one. They have to invent their own product and then try and promote it to "prospective buyers", e.g. Sainsburys.
    The second product is very rarely, if ever, brought to market and developed. The reason being that it costs an awful lot of time and money to develop a new product such as a new dog food or biscuit.
    It can take months and needs plenty of focus groups and trials and working out the branding and pitch.

If I was a buyer for a very large company, I wouldn't be too keen on buying a product that had been developed by a shower of prima-donnas, attention-seekers and media-whores in the space of a day or two. In fact, I wouldn't even give them the time of day.

It's a gameshow and it offers the large companies a chance to get some free publicity on a channel that doesn't allow advertising.

Advertisement