Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is Chemistry?

• 29-06-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Say, in relation to biology or geography?
    I'm repeating to get into medicine and I need to take up Chemistry. Can I get the course done in one year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I did biology, chemistry and physics. :) In comparison to biology, it's a shorter but more rigorous course - you need to really understand the concepts in chemistry, as well as know them. I reckon it would be possible to do in a year, but you'd want a teacher for it or someone who can explain things to you.

I'm not sure what it's like in relation to geography, since I didn't do geography. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Can't say for sure if you could handle all of that in a year. A lot of people who Chemistry say it only really 'clicks' in the second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

I loved Chemistry, but I had a brilliant teacher. There's a lot of calculations in it though. However, if you're considering Medicine I'm sure you'll be well able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

I'm after doing a degree in natural science. I didn't do chemistry course as part of it but there was lots of chemistry involved in all of the biology I was doing so I'm hoping that will be a boost for me!
    Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

In my opinion, its one of those subjects where it really depends, some people just get it others dont and have to work hard to get it and some people just dont get it full stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Try checking out sites like these to get a feel for it:
    http://skoool.ie/examcentre_senior.asp?id=2083
    http://www.chemguide.co.uk/ (A different standard to Leaving Cert but very similar and I used it to help revise Organics before!)

I've done Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I don't know about you but I found Biology at LC level to be pretty easy- there wasn't anything I couldn't "get and the hardest thing was remembering it all! I definitely found Biology more interesting to study than Chemistry, although after repeating I like Chemistry a lot more :)

As others have said, you REALLY need a good teacher, unless you're very capable at Sciences. You definitely have to think things through a bit and more so than Biology some chapters only "click" once you get other ones. Moreso than Biology your basics have to be really solid in Chemistry. The mathematics aren't anything too difficult at Higher Level- I did OL Maths and never found the Chemistry ones too difficult.

In terms of difficulty I'd think Geography > Biology > Chemistry. Yes, it's a smaller course and you could cover it in a year but I found myself reading some chapters repeatedly, night after night, to really "get" what they were on about!

Whereas in Biology, Geography you can (or could, in earlier years) learn info off and just regurgitate it, you CANNOT do that for Chemistry. As jumpguy says you need to understand it. As an exam though it's lovely- you'll do 22 (approx..? Forgetting already :P ) mandatory experiments and 3 of these will come on your paper under guaranteed sections, i.e. one "measuring" one, one organic one. Did you do some Organic Chemistry in your degree? LC Organic Chemistry would probably be a doddle in comparison.

If you're really comfortable in your other subjects it would probably be a nice subject to repeat with because it's a little challenging :) I had a really awful teacher first time around and found it much easier this time with an organised teacher who could explain and give us good notes.

Have you considered a combination like HL Maths, Applied Maths and Physics? I really envy the mathsy people who paired stuff up that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Nulzy

In my opinion the chemistry LC course is def doable in one year. As previous posts have mentioned it's more about grasping the concepts rather than actually learning a massive ream of material like in Biology. It would definitely be easier than physics too. Are you aware that 2 lab sciences aren't a requirement for all med courses? I think it's rcsi that only require one science and some colleges will take ag science..although I'm unsure of the combinations and which colleges. Anyway, best of luck with it!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's small in terms of course content but it makes up for it by the fact that you can't simply sit down and "rote learn" as you would for say Biology. You need to have a thorough understanding of what's on the course and if you don't have a solid foundation in the basics then you will have extreme difficulty with the harder topics. You'll either love it and find it extremely easy or you'll hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

If you think you're able for Med., you'll be able for chemistry. It's not that difficult, just takes a lot of time i.e. learning off streams of definitions, short answers for 10 experiments or whatever. And going through past papers, KEY!. I must have done every past paper at least 5 times. I also went back 20 years or so to do some questions. There's not a lot that's difficult as such, but if you want an A you'll have to spend a bit of time to get your head around it. It could keep you interested during the repeat year too. I picked up a couple of subjects when I repeated and they sort of kept studying fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

If you're naturally inclined towards the sciences/maths, then go for it.

However, I loathed it, despised the teacher, found it to be absolutely dull and monotonous, sacrificed it for my other subjects in the Leaving Cert - and shall probably fail it quite elegantly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

if youve a bad teacher, its can just go horrific:(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

I have a fairly bad teacher but I think it's one of my best subjects. Doing the Leaving Cert. next year and I don't see Chemistry as my biggest challenge!
    If you are repeating you'll be able to put more effort and time into getting the chemistry course done in 1 year so you should be fine! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i had an excellent teacher:D, but i've some friends that didnt unfortunately and faired badly in chemistry. But on the upside, i think the course is short and fun and not all rote learning and damn right interesting!!! hope this helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Be under no illusions - just like most subjects it is difficult unless you work at it. The harder you work, then generally the easier it will be.

As others have said it is very important to grasp concepts and if you do not grasp these very important concepts it will be VERY difficult to pass let alone score highly for the purpose of doing medicine.

Remember when you take a subject for senior cycle you get two years. In this time you will be introduced to topics and over time will help cement them into your understanding as subject areas cross over.
    If you are repeating you are already starting with less than half that time (when you consider days off etc). This means that you will have less time for things to sink in and less time for you to discuss topics with the teacher that you are finding difficult.

So long story short. In one year yes it is hard, but not impossible. To make it possible you will need to work EXTRA hard.

Before you decide my advice would be to buy a revision book like rapid revision for about €10. Maybe also borrow a book from a friend.

You should cover some essential topics that include:
    The mole, stoichiometry, oxidation and reduction, volumetric analysis and of course organic chemistry.

After you spend some time on these topics it might be best to reconsider any decision.

Advertisement