Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bale Splitter

• 29-06-2011 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

hi........im thinking of getting a secondhand bale splitter for the winter.......are they any good or are they just a flashy bit of machinery to have on the back tractor ? :D...what are your views on them ? and how do you work them regarding removing plastic and net and splitting the bale ? i think mchale one is pretty expensive .....any views appriciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

surly someone must have one :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

polod wrote: »
    surly someone must have one :D:D:D

This works like a dream. [Embedded Image Removed]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

This works like a dream.

:D That's the same model we use!!

How do you attach it to the tractor??? ;):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DeMaximus

I bought a new McHales Bale Splitter two years ago. It was on a MF 399. I found that with the 6 cylinder tractor it was too long and awkward to use in the shed and if you have chopped bales it's not really needed. It's a nice to have rather than a necessity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Whats the point of them? Get your bales chopped in the field and be done with it, dangerous looking things too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Whats the point of them? .

They split the bale into 2 or 4 pieces. This is supposed to save you from having to fork silage. They work quite well in sheds with a central passage as the silage will fall both sides when the bale is split in the middle. They also work quite well on a front loader if you wanted to split a bale into your diet feeder. Even if your bale is chopped in the field, most contractors are making tight enough bales so that the bale does not fall apart - even when the net and wrap is removed.
    dangerous looking things too

The McHale ones come with a safety guard to protect you from accidently walking into the blade.

OP there are several local manufacturers manufacturing bale splitters similar in design to McHale - also with significant price reductions.
    Unfortunately I still use the same model as Atilathehun - except mine has a foot attachment which makes it easier and faster to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

thanks for the info lads .......flip'n computer aint working the best that picture wount come up :D.....what kind of money would ya get cheaper make for ? what engineering company makes them ?

Advertisement